The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 08-19-2014, 04:13 AM

Default Bass strings for new player

I recently got an old Encore bass (picture). I've had it in the shop for a quick once-over but am wondering about strings. I was under the impression bass strings last a long time but as I never played bass before I don't really know how to tell if they're shot. A friend told me round-wrapped strings deteriorate faster than flat-wound (though I don't know the difference!)

For a learner just playing in their room on an electric guitar practice amp, should I just buy a set of new cheap strings and be done with it? Or do I need to choose the style/type carefully... they're quite expensive so I don't want to be buying several sets!
Old 08-19-2014, 06:35 AM

IMO it's nice to start off with a new set of strings. The strings on my electric bass are probably going on 5 years now. The strings on my acoustic bass are probably 15 years So yeah they are expensive but don't need to get changed too often unless you are the type that likes that new snappy string sound.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:45 AM

D'Addario ECB-81 flatwounds - smooth texture is easier on both the frets and fingers, gauge (45-100) is light enough for a beginner to play comfortably, tension is low enough not to cause undue strain on the neck, and they're relatively cheap as far as bass strings go:

http://elderly.com/accessories/items/ECB81.htm
Old 08-19-2014, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd View Post
I recently got an old Encore bass (picture). I've had it in the shop for a quick once-over but am wondering about strings. I was under the impression bass strings last a long time but as I never played bass before I don't really know how to tell if they're shot. A friend told me round-wrapped strings deteriorate faster than flat-wound (though I don't know the difference!)

For a learner just playing in their room on an electric guitar practice amp, should I just buy a set of new cheap strings and be done with it? Or do I need to choose the style/type carefully... they're quite expensive so I don't want to be buying several sets!
You don't necessarily need to invest in new strings as you are learning to play the bass.

As long as they will tune up okay you should be good to go.

Play it for awhile. If it turns out you like playing you can start trying different types of strings to see what fits your ear.

In general,

Stainless steel roundwound strings are the brightest sounding string. Stainless steel is a very hard material and this makes this type of string susceptible to mechanical noise (string/fret, finger drag). They are also hard on the frets and board. But, unless you play on a regular basis it will be awhile before you need something as radical as new frets. Put a set of these on a bass with an active preamp you will get sustain forever, and very bright, modern sound.

Nickel roundwound are middle of the road, but if your body chemistry is one that kills strings, these guys will go flat on you pretty quick. I've always described nickel rounds as "Mellow" sounding.

Flatwounds are a rich sound, but maybe too "Thumpy" for some. If you like playing finger-funk style bass, ala' James Jamerson and the Motown thing, these are the string you want to look at using. They also good for getting close to an Acoustic Upright tone. Put a sponge under the strings at the bridge and use a thumb-pluck technique and you can get a very cool tone.

To me, the bass is an under-rated instrument. It helped me put food on the table for a few years and I enjoyed the things I could do with it.

Most of all, as with any instrument, have fun!

Last edited by GerryinAZ; 08-19-2014 at 12:57 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 09-21-2014, 10:54 AM

The cat above broke it down for you pretty good so my advice is for the case that you fall in love with the instrument..I use Smith slap masters ultra light .... I use that set as it is easy to get ..I used to buy strings separately. and use a 100 for the low e , 80 for a, 50 for d, 30 for g....this gave me a wide variety of tones but while on the road was hard to replace and yes they lose their brightness . so I replace them a lot.. the reason for the size selection is my thumb slaps the E and A strings I wanted a good solid low end thus the 100. I pop the D and G and do most of the soloing on them so I want them bright and high .....for convenience I have settled with slap masters

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments