The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 08-15-2014, 03:55 PM

Default Hammered Dulcimer

My curiosity was piqued about these beautiful instruments. Can anyone help me make sense of them?

I've seen some information online already. Moderate sustain = probably best for anyone looking to learn and figure out a style they like. My budding understanding of guitar tonewoods helps me have a preference, already. I'm just doing research right now, but what can the AGF tell me about them? Best brands? Masterworks, Songbird, Dusty Strings, JRS, etc?

Thanks for any knowledge you would like to impart!

I would love to have an all mahogany or all koa, and a good Martin to contrast my little Taylor family. Maybe someday!
Old 08-25-2014, 12:22 AM

Cool

I can't add much to your knowledge, but a month ago I picked up a seagull dulimer/guitar thing at Guitar Center, and was really impressed by the sounds that came out of it- and so easy to play-

I gotta get one of those eventually- at $129 I think it's a little overpriced-
guess I'm cheap, but have a lot of instruments already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iafx6T0iRG0
Old 09-01-2014, 10:21 AM

The OP is talking about hammered dulcimers, quite different from normal dulcimers. The are, in a nutshell, hollow blocks of wood with soundholes, with strings tightened over them, which you play by hitting them with little wooden hammers. They have similar instruments in the Middle East, like the Persian Santur:

Two friends of mine own Dusty Strings models, and they're quite happy with it. I've played and liked them, though I'm no expert with these instruments. I know a few other people who play them, if you like I'll ask around what their experiences are.
Apart from the brand and model, the type of hammers you use greatly influence your sound - solid wood for a hard attack, felted tips for a more mellow sound.
If you'll be playing one live, prepare yourself for a lot of headaches; from proper amplification, to avoiding feedback, to tuning all those strings.. But it can help build a marvelous atmosphere.

Last edited by Philip Xander; 09-01-2014 at 03:15 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments