The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-25-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Paul View Post
I just cut the toe out of a sock.

A clean one.

Jason
Well that'll stop your foot from sweating.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicov View Post
well that'll stop your foot from sweating.
......lol.......

Dave
Old 07-25-2012, 09:30 AM

In the summer when it's hot and humid, and I wear tee shirts, I just drape my guitar polishing cloth over the place where my arm contacts it. It's big enough to drape over both front and back of the lower bout, and works fine. It's not that I sweat that much, but the feeling of bare arm skin on the guitar finish on a muggy day is not to my liking, but it also protects against sweat. Since the cloth is always in my guitar case, it's always handy.

Jack
Old 07-25-2012, 10:38 AM

When I flat pick I need to move my arm as I go and when it sticks to the guitar top it is really a problem. I tried a towel on the guitar but it was a lot of trouble to put it on every time and reposition every time I stopped playing for a minute.

I went to WalMart and bought some womens socks that were a crew cut top and the tops were made from something thin that felt like a tee shirt. You can cut it any place you like. Put it on once and it's there til I get through playing. At $1 a pair I throw them away when they start looking bad and get a new one.

Doesn't look all that weird to wear these in public if playing out.

May not work for everyone, but it has for me so far.

David in TN
Old 08-03-2012, 10:18 AM

Hi Larry J
Thanks for the response. Good to meet you. Your idea is very good. However I did get the sleeve and I can see how it could get hot. I have never had this problem until I purchased a new J-45 Custom, and I hated to see the slight dulling of the top front of it from my arm.

Larry
Old 08-03-2012, 10:39 AM

Arm rest? Polishing cloth? Pfft. A couple of weeks ago, at Camp Bluegrass, there was a guy in my class whose guitar had lost all its finish where the arm wraps around, and the area below the sound hole looked like it was scraped clean, too.

Guess who was the only one of us eliciting questions about his instrument (A 1959 Gibson) and compliments on owning "the coolest guitar in the room" from our instructor, Dan Miller, author of "Flatpicking Guitar Magazine?"

Old 08-03-2012, 11:27 AM

VIRTUOSO - that's the answer!
Old 08-03-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CooloutAC View Post
Thanks for the replies. That john pearse armwrest is something to consider, I'm actually not sure what type of finish my guitar has. I have a martin dx1 when i go to their site it just says hand rubbed finish on the top. If the smudge doesn't ruin the sound or lifespan maybe i'll just leave it alone then.
Your DX-1 top is a satin finish I believe. Unless you want to buff it out to a higher gloss all over, I wouldn't use Virtuoso on it. I have a 000X-1 that I bought as a travel/campfire guitar and it has a place on the lower bout where my arm rests from playing it in short sleeved shirts.

Martin suggests cleaning their satin finishes with mild soap and a soft rag, nothing else. Works great. I also have a DM. Satin finish, same mojo on the top. Same thing for cleaning. I use Dr. Bronner's castille soap when it needs a little cleaning, and immediately dry it with a soft towel. Works great.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:14 PM

Ah, don't worry about. Its called mojo. Makes you look cool and your guitar look cool.
Little Martin (LXM)
Lots of Drums

Never develop a passion you can't afford. It'll eat your heart away like a bookworm. - Cornella Funke
Old 09-05-2016, 02:18 PM

Default Dark stain on finish from my arm while playing

I have had my guitar since may of 2016 and this happened a few months ago. Any ideas on how to remove the stain? I hate having a giant black spot on my guitar...Also to add it is a Martin GPCPA4.
Old 09-05-2016, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
I agree with the points Misty made.

If you manage to get the stains polished out on the top, you might consider doing what a friend of mine in the same situation did to prevent it from happening again: he put a John Pearse armrest on the guitar.

I don't have sweat stain problems on my guitars, since I'm Cool Hand Luke (or, maybe, "Cool Forearm Wade,") and don't sweat on them. But I like the armrests for the way they lift the forearm off and allow the top to vibrate to its fullest extent, thus allowing the guitar to achieve its richest possible tone.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Quote:
Originally Posted by CooloutAC View Post
Thanks for the replies. That john pearse armwrest is something to consider, I'm actually not sure what type of finish my guitar has. I have a martin dx1 when i go to their site it just says hand rubbed finish on the top. If the smudge doesn't ruin the sound or lifespan maybe i'll just leave it alone then.
+1 on the JP Armrest. After sweating profusely onto my Guild at guitar camp, I was convinced to remove the armrest from my Seagull (currently sold) and put it on my Guild. Not only does it help the sweat problem, but also makes my amazing-sounding Guild sound more amazing through the process explained by Wade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicov View Post
Well that'll stop your foot from sweating.
Funny. Gross, but funny.

Martin GPC 11E
Guild CV-1
Gibson L-00 Studio
Gretsch Jim Dandy
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 09-05-2016, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorplayer View Post
VIRTUOSO - that's the answer!
THIS^^^^^. I just use it to my OM. The best product ever.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:40 PM

Nice set of Taylors Wade

guitars? yep still have some
Old 09-05-2016, 08:16 PM

here you go OP

Ni Night

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion