The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-26-2012, 09:22 AM

Default Taylor ES-Go Pick Up - "Humming" Problem?

I've got my sights set on a GS Mini in hog come tax return time. I went on Amazon and read some of the reviews there concerning the Taylor ES-Go Pick Up that you can of course purchase as an accessory. But I saw several reviews on there from people complaining about humming in this system and how you need some ground wire rigged to it whenever you play plugged in. I was all set to go with the ES-Go Pick Up thinking that this particular pick up was made precisely for this particular model so what could be a better choice? Sure having second thoughts now however. I'm thinking maybe I should just go with a K & K Pure Western Mini like I have in my HD-28 and HD-28VS. Most of these reviews I saw were over a year old so I was wondering if this humming problem is still an issue and if you guys who have purchased the GS Mini have gone to an alternate pick up and if so what did you choose? Thanks guys.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:58 PM

I have read about this hum. I also read somewhere that Taylor either fixed this in the newer ES-Go pickups or they offer a fix for it. I hope someone can clarify this. I'm going to do some more research (I'm curious now).

EDIT: I found this thread (http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=230951) where two people called Taylor and received a grounding kit for $20. Another poster stated version 2 of the pickup; however, there was nothing backing up this statement that a v2 ES-Go pickup was in the works.

Last edited by Dru Edwards; 03-26-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:25 PM

Just popping in to say that I'm still hum-free. I've also found that plugging into my Champ 600 is fun, too.

K&K gets a lot of love here; it might be the way for you to go. Depending on what your plan is, you might try first buying your GSM, then taking it to your local GC or Sam Ash and see if you have hum issues or not in the store. Installation requires a phillips screwdriver and replacing the endpin, so they might not let you do it in store--if so, ask about their return policy, and demo it at home if it's favorable.

I agree (with the linked post) that a preamp would be VERY helpful for going straight to a PA. My electric amps obviously already have a preamp stage, but they're...electric amps. I haven't played out in several months, but was looking at either a loud box mini as a preamp/monitor, or an LR Baggs gig pro. I know that the para di is the standard, but the gig pro can be belt-clipped to your strap, and would provide an easy-to-reach volume control--so I wouldn't need to bring my V-cable (which is also very nice).

Oh, and the "other" forum had a thread a couple of weeks ago asking why elixir doesn't coat the top two strings in a set. If you need a string ground to kill hum, you'll need some electrically conductive strings for it to work--like the top two in a set of nano webs. You might run into trouble if you use a different coated string.

Not sure if this post helped much, but I'd try to at least demo an ES-GO before deciding that it's not for you. If it's not for you, many others have had a lot of luck with K&K's.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boilerup View Post
Just popping in to say that I'm still hum-free. I've also found that plugging into my Champ 600 is fun, too.

K&K gets a lot of love here; it might be the way for you to go. Depending on what your plan is, you might try first buying your GSM, then taking it to your local GC or Sam Ash and see if you have hum issues or not in the store. Installation requires a phillips screwdriver and replacing the endpin, so they might not let you do it in store--if so, ask about their return policy, and demo it at home if it's favorable.

I agree (with the linked post) that a preamp would be VERY helpful for going straight to a PA. My electric amps obviously already have a preamp stage, but they're...electric amps. I haven't played out in several months, but was looking at either a loud box mini as a preamp/monitor, or an LR Baggs gig pro. I know that the para di is the standard, but the gig pro can be belt-clipped to your strap, and would provide an easy-to-reach volume control--so I wouldn't need to bring my V-cable (which is also very nice).

Oh, and the "other" forum had a thread a couple of weeks ago asking why elixir doesn't coat the top two strings in a set. If you need a string ground to kill hum, you'll need some electrically conductive strings for it to work--like the top two in a set of nano webs. You might run into trouble if you use a different coated string.

Not sure if this post helped much, but I'd try to at least demo an ES-GO before deciding that it's not for you. If it's not for you, many others have had a lot of luck with K&K's.
Thanks boilerup, appreciate the feedback.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:29 AM

I was really excited to get a GS mini, but was seriously disappointed by the pickup buzz.

i just called Taylor guitars about it. spoke to Bob Chini.. He seemed to understand exactly what i was talking about re the hum, and then took my details down and said he'd send me a grounding kit to install for free. #whataguy

I'll give an update once it arrives and I have it installed.

Last edited by smawer; 05-08-2012 at 10:38 AM.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:30 AM

here's the youtube vid Bob Chini just sent me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu1_PJBlQp0

seems kinda involved! .. but with that said, the sound from the ES-Go pickup is really really good.. so hopefully this works!

Last edited by smawer; 05-08-2012 at 10:39 AM.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:38 AM

I tried two differnet ESGo pickups in my mini and they were both horrible. I installed a K&K and it sounds wonderful.

Willie

https://soundcloud.com/willie-johnson-jr
Old 05-08-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williejohnson View Post
I tried two differnet ESGo pickups in my mini and they were both horrible. I installed a K&K and it sounds wonderful.
Willie
horrible because of the hum and buzz or general sound quality?
Old 05-08-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smawer View Post
horrible because of the hum and buzz or general sound quality?
Both. The hum was just unacceptable and the difference in sound quality between the ESGo and the K&K is significant (the K&K is much better.) The ground hum problem has been evident since they first came out and Taylor's solution (rather than making a better pickup) is disappointing. Taylor is not in the business of making acoustic pickups.....K&K is.

https://soundcloud.com/willie-johnson-jr
Old 05-19-2012, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williejohnson View Post
Both. The hum was just unacceptable and the difference in sound quality between the ESGo and the K&K is significant (the K&K is much better.) The ground hum problem has been evident since they first came out and Taylor's solution (rather than making a better pickup) is disappointing. Taylor is not in the business of making acoustic pickups.....K&K is.
Are you able to articulate the sound difference the K&K makes?

I just finished installing the grounding wire thingy Taylor sent me.
Easy enough. Hum is completely gone.

I must say, bit of a bummer Taylor doesn't fix the issue on the pickup itself, but whatever, guitar is usable now!
Old 05-19-2012, 10:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadcutter View Post
...Sure having second thoughts now however. I'm thinking maybe I should just go with a K & K Pure Western Mini like I have in my HD-28 and HD-28VS. Most of these reviews I saw were over a year old so I was wondering if this humming problem is still an issue and if you guys who have purchased the GS Mini have gone to an alternate pick up and if so what did you choose? Thanks guys.
Hi Wc...

The K&K Pure Western Mini would be a better pickup either way (personal opinion).

We run PA systems, and have lots of gigs, and the K&Ks are the most natural sounding ones out there.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-26-2012, 05:57 PM
Guest 235664

I just ordered the GS Mini Hog. I have read inconsistant reviews of the es go pup and the grounding issue causing some people to get a hum. I have a Dean markley Pro Mag Grand Humbucking soundhole pup that I have had good results with and will use that, I believe. This pup can be transferred from guitar to guitar as needed. I also found the es go to be somewhat high priced.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:16 AM

hello
Welcome to this forum site.
This forum is all that you need. Currently I am not in position to give you right suggestions so please find an expert and get it done. Hope you get the solution to your problem.
Top Ten classified website

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification