The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-01-2012, 07:36 PM

Check out David laplante, he's a great steel string builder who has studied under Jose Romanillos and now builds some truly amazing classicals.

Colin symonds is another really good steel string builder who has studied under romanillos and builds awesome torres-esque instruments with a few modern touches.

Both are exceptional builders as well as great people to deal with.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:51 PM

I build traditional classicals (with a dovetail neck joint, but Fleta did that, too), although it's been a few years. I have my own fan bracing design. It's successful enough that a friend who has classicals built in Paracho asked for a license to have some built to my design, and they came out well.

Classicals are different from steel strings, and need to be built closer to the edge to be responsive. But they are both guitars. I think too much is made of the idea that luthiers have narrow niches in which they excel, and one needs to find one with the needed specialty, as in, "Who makes a good 12-fret koa 00?" A good builder is a good builder. A middling builder who focuses on a narrow niche is still a middling builder.

Last edited by Howard Klepper; 04-02-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Klepper View Post
Classicals are different from steel strings, and need to be build closer to the edge to be responsive. But they are both guitars. I think too much is made of the idea that luthiers have narrow niches in which they excel, and one needs to find one with the needed specialty, as in, "Who makes a good 12-fret koa 00?" A good builder is a good builder. A middling builder who focuses on a narrow niche is still a middling builder.
I agree and that's why I'm turning to folks who are usually known as steel string luthiers. I think they could make as good of a nylon string as any nylon string luthier -- and on top of it I prefer the visuals and appointments typically associated with steel string guitars.

If you have pictures of your nylon strings, I'd be interested to see them.

The appointments on Anita's guitar would be quite appropriate on a nylon string, I would think (minus the pickguard of course).

Old 04-02-2012, 09:33 AM
AGF Sponsor

Here is one that I did many years ago. The headstock was one that the customer wanted and the bridge is a 2 hole type that changes how you rap the strings. The bracing was a combination of Kasha and Ramirez and gave nice round notes, not shrilly like some.

These are old pictures that have been possibly scanned.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:41 AM

Few builders have truly mastered both disciplines. Alan Perlman is one of them.
-C
Old 04-02-2012, 10:37 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
One of my dreams is to travel to Madrid and commission a guitar from Paulino Bernabe -- but since I'm not a classical guitar player, I always thought that such a guitar would be a waste in my hands.

Does anyone here on the AGF build nylon string guitars with "traditional" specs? I'm looking for something that sounds loud and lively -- not some quiet crossover that's meant to be plugged in.

I'm a steel string player and this wouldn't be my primary guitar but I'm still interested in getting a good quality instrument.
FWIW, I can vouch for Tom Rein's guitars. He builds excellent nylon string guitars. I have built a few single and double top nylons but certainly no where near the number that Tom has.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:41 AM

Have you looked at Oskar Graf? I've heard he makes excellent nylon strings. In your neck of the woods, too.

Taylor 714ce
Old 04-02-2012, 01:01 PM

Here are a couple of photos, Joe. When I say "traditional" nylon string I mean not a steel/nylon crossover. It's a classical guitar, but with some modern design and construction touches. This one is an excellent sounding and playing guitar that picked up a bit of shop wear (delicate all-shellac finish on the body, lacquer on the neck) and got put away when I began to concentrate on steel strings. I still have it. EIR/cedar with double sides, elevated fretboard, and sound port. 12-hole BRW bridge.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:01 PM

I build what I call a “crossover” however I build it as an acoustic instrument. http://lichtyguitars.com/2012/03/02/...ssover-guitar/ I also build what I call a vintage parlor guitar. http://lichtyguitars.com/2012/04/02/...-dream-guitar/ Both of these are a blast to play.
Twitter
YouTube
Old 04-02-2012, 08:07 PM

I build what I call a “crossover” however I build it as an acoustic instrument. http://lichtyguitars.com/2012/03/02/...ssover-guitar/ I also build what I call a vintage parlor guitar. http://lichtyguitars.com/2012/04/02/...-dream-guitar/ Both of these are a blast to play.
Twitter
YouTube
Old 04-03-2012, 09:29 PM

I suggest that you check out Ron Pinkham in Maine. You get what you pay for and he is not inexpensive, but turns out great instruments. Search online under Woodsound Studios to find his very informative web site. You will not be disappointed. The information there is worth the time of the search.

Ron Pinkham SP, Braz & German Spruce w/bearclaw (2011)
Omega GC02, EIR & engleman (1997)
Epiphone Classical, BR/Mah Laminate & Cedar (1972)
Old 04-04-2012, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

I'll suggest Kirk Sand, I'm biased as he is a friend and I own 2 of his guitars.
he's been building nylon string classical & crossover guitars as well as steel strings for about 35 years. here's a link to his website for more info.

http://www.sandguitars.com/home.htm
Old 04-04-2012, 02:55 PM

The Phoenix Guitar Company in Scottsdale, AZ builds both steel and nylon string guitars. They built a classical guitar that was one of the best that I've played.

They are a two person shop (George and Diana) so either person you talk to will work on the guitar at some point. They're great people!
Old 04-04-2012, 03:19 PM

There is a member here at acoustic guitar forum

Waddy,,, and he makes a gorgeous classical guitar..

just thought i would mention it.

Rick
Old 04-05-2012, 05:28 PM

Marshall Brune (Chicago) makes fantastic steel strings and classical guitars (as well as all classical string instruments, from violin to cello). I've got two of his steel strings on my site, but no classicals...I would guess he builds 6-7 classicals for ever steel string. If you need contact information, let me know.

Joel Stehr also build classicals, though his main focus is steel strings.

Bob
Too Many Guitars
www.YourPerfectGuitar.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop