The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-17-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Whiskey Picks View Post
Not all thumbpicks are created equal. These were designed to do what you want to do. Shoot me an IM if you want more info.

www.GoatWhiskeyPicks.com
Yep, that is where I will be headed if I stick with a thumb pick. I want to mess around with them more to see if I will stick with it before investing in a good one.
Old 02-17-2018, 12:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfa View Post
Yep, that is where I will be headed if I stick with a thumb pick. I want to mess around with them more to see if I will stick with it before investing in a good one.

I stumbled on my design because of a had cramping issue that wouldn’t allow me to hold a flat pick for any time before dropping it. I found Fred Kelly Bumblebee picks and they allowed me to strum with no issues of the pick grabbing or rotating. Buy a pack of those and see if you like the feel any better (or shoot me an IM and I’ll mail you a couple, I’ve got plenty left). The down side of the Bumblebees is they are made from the cheapest most flimsy plastic available, but the basic design is great. Mine takes an adaptive design to what they have and uses high quality materials resulting in a pick that will sound as good as what you’re used to with a flat pick. Oh and I’m predominantly a strummer and that was one of the things that drew me to this design. Try a Bumblebee and see if it works for you. If it does you’ll love my picks.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 02-17-2018, 12:28 PM

Quote:
I stumbled on my design because of a had cramping issue that wouldn’t allow me to hold a flat pick for any time before dropping it. I found Fred Kelly Bumblebee picks and they allowed me to strum with no issues of the pick grabbing or rotating. Buy a pack of those and see if you like the feel any better (or shoot me an IM and I’ll mail you a couple, I’ve got plenty left). The down side of the Bumblebees is they are made from the cheapest most flimsy plastic available, but the basic design is great. Mine takes an adaptive design to what they have and uses high quality materials resulting in a pick that will sound as good as what you’re used to with a flat pick. Oh and I’m predominantly a strummer and that was one of the things that drew me to this design. Try a Bumblebee and see if it works for you. If it does you’ll love my picks.
Are the bumblebees much different to use than the Hercos?
Old 02-17-2018, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfa View Post
Are the bumblebees much different to use than the Hercos?

Completely different. I’ve never been able to do a thing with a Herco. The one piece design of the Herco (and most other thumb picks) is what makes them difficult to use. It’s hard to describe but as soon as you try a Bumblebee (or my pick) the light will come on as to why the others didn’t work for you.
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

Old 02-17-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Completely different. I’ve never been able to do a thing with a Herco. The one piece design of the Herco (and most other thumb picks) is what makes them difficult to use. It’s hard to describe but as soon as you try a Bumblebee (or my pick) the light will come on as to why the others didn’t work for you.
It's funny... Our local store has Bumble Bees and I just couldn't get used to them at all. Chocolate and vanilla, I guess. Your picks look pretty interesting. I'll have to try a couple some day.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 02-17-2018, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
It's funny... Our local store has Bumble Bees and I just couldn't get used to them at all. Chocolate and vanilla, I guess. Your picks look pretty interesting. I'll have to try a couple some day.

I hope you do. Just holler if you need any information.
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

Old 02-17-2018, 01:25 PM

You made me curious. Since a thumbpick sort of operates like a unidirectional flatpick, it might work to put a bevel on the leading edge. Had a Dunlop medium on hand so I tried it. It did seem to brighten the tone and add a bit of volume but I am lousy with a thumbpick so I may not be the best judge.

Took a photo before I polished it so you could see the edge modification.

Only takes a few minutes or I'll send you this one as my brief comparison playing reminded me I should never get within 50 feet of a thumbpick.
Old 02-17-2018, 01:36 PM

I use a Dunlop thumbpick for strumming. My Guitar teacher doesn't like me doing it but I feel I have more control of the pick. Plus I don't drop nearly as many picks in the sound hole
Old 02-17-2018, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
You made me curious. Since a thumbpick sort of operates like a unidirectional flatpick, it might work to put a bevel on the leading edge. Had a Dunlop medium on hand so I tried it. It did seem to brighten the tone and add a bit of volume but I am lousy with a thumbpick so I may not be the best judge.

Took a photo before I polished it so you could see the edge modification.

Only takes a few minutes or I'll send you this one as my brief comparison playing reminded me I should never get within 50 feet of a thumbpick.
It was you HHP that got me going on speed beveling. Yes, it does brighten the tone a bit, adds a little crispness to the attack and a bit of volume.

It was hard to photograph, but here's the bevel on my Golden Gate pick. The bevel also helps the pick glide through individual notes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7775.jpg (14.6 KB, 62 views)
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 02-17-2018, 08:08 PM
Charter Member

Default Have your cake and eat it too !

I have the worst sounding thumb nail so I have been forced to use a thumbpick. I tried just about every one out there, formed them to my thumb, worked with the ends and never like them.

Then I found the Kodiak thumb pick which has a nylon band that wraps around the thumb as tight or lose as wanted and secures with velcro. It's the most comfortable pick I've ever used.

But I didn't like the sound of the pick that comes with them so I just took out the original pick and glued in my favorite BlueChip pick. I shaped the upper part to fit in how far I wanted it with how much sticking out from the side of my thumb. Customize to taste.

I have one 40 and one 35 that I can chose from. But the best part is I can push it tight for acting as a thumb pick and with just a tiny push with my index finger to loosen it a bit it turns it into a flatpick that stays put. I go back and forth during the song seamlessly.

Sure it cost a few bucks initially, mostly due to the cost of the BlueChip but it fits right into my pocket and lays flat. In fact I keep one in my wallet since it flattens out.
Old 02-17-2018, 08:35 PM
Charter Member

I recently got some Fred Kelly delrin heavy speed pics. I like 'em. They seem tonally superior to the standard guitar shop thumb picks I've tried.

Old 02-17-2018, 08:41 PM

Most thumbpicks end up working like a generic flat pick used with a bad grip -- because that's what you get. Thickness, material, curve of the contact area... it's the same list of factors that people obsess with when choosing flatpicks. The, there's the added issue of fit. Even a great oick sounds lousy and dull if you hold it in a muted, floppy way, which is how thumbpicks often (mis-)fit. There are a few experts and suppliers who can steer you towards the right product for you, and once you get the right type of pick, for you, and the right fit, you'll be able to be successful if indeed you even want to be a thumbpicker. Good luck. The world's full of people playing predictable, thumpy alternating bass lines with thumbpicks -- but others make beautiful tones with the same tool.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:05 AM

strumming with a flatpick is a beautiful thing, not so much with a thumbpick. The perfect combination is flatpick/fingerstyle. You strum when you want and when you want to fingerpick you use the fingers that are not holding the pick. I think its called hybrid picking. I see jazz players using it as well as country players so it could be used for any genre.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:55 AM

Default thumbpick sounds awful?

Did you try it on your right thumb? (assuming you play right-handed)

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I have explored this for a bit and am still experimenting. Whatever you try out, it just some time and practice to see what truly works best for you in terms of tone and feel.
I have been using the Fred Kelly Speed picks, the Mick’s Goat Whiskey’s and recently got the Kodiak and put in a Charmed Life red flat pick in it. So far, I am liking the Kodiak because it can accommodate the great sounding flat picks that I prefer.

Best,
Jayne

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion