The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-13-2018, 10:10 AM

Default GHS- Initial impressions and questions

First a shout out to those who've been singing the praises of GHS strings. I will concur that this brand should be at the top of the list for testing. I don't know why it took me so long!?

This week I had a chance to test both GHS Signature Bronze and Phosphor Bronze strings (both 12-54). The SB's were tested on both my 1981 MIJ Epiphone PR-755s (think D28 sound) and Taylor 814ceDLX. I'm trying to dial in the sounds I'm looking for on these guitars and think I am very close.

First up were the Signature Bronze strings... These strings tend to be very bright out of the box, far too bright for the Epiphone, but only marginally bright on the 814. These strings are LOUD. When I brought my 814 into the kitchen to see what my GF had to say about the sound, she was actually startled by the volume, almost complaining! I like that they really ring out but am on the fence about the brightness on the 814. She said that they sound a little "stiff" (I'm not sure what that means as she is not a musician). I'm not hearing stiffness so I can't say what she didn't like about them.

I took the SB's off the Epi after a day as I know these strings are not a good match for this guitar. The Epi now has SUS strings on it and the PB's will be next.

Phosphor Bronze: Nice tone. Very much like you'd expect good phos/bronze strings to sound like. They didn't have the sizzle or volume that the SB's had. They were noticeably less loud than the SB's. I like these strings, and they seem to sound a lot like the SUS strings that I'd been using on my 814 until this point. I'd be ok with these on my 814 but I'm intriqued by the SB's for sure as they are so different than any other string that I've tried on this guitar and closer to what I'm listening for in sound. And so my question(s)...

As I really like the general nature of the Signature Bronze strings, but want to maintain the bass projection and volume but want to knock off a bit of the high brashness. So will I accomplish that by just moving up a gauge to 13's? Or, should I be looking at the GHS White Bronze? I know that White's are rated as being between the PB's and SB's, but I suspect the tone will be completely different. Also I see that previously the White's were identified as for acoustic guitar, now they're identified for acoustic electric. Is that only a packaging change or did they change the strings?

Thoughts and opinions? Thanks for your advice and help.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 02-13-2018, 10:39 AM

Interesting post. I'm confused. You say that GHS are remarkable, but then report reservations about the sets you've tried v/v the guitars you've tried them on. That's been my experience with GHS, and why I've ended up with other brands for all of my guitars. I find the PB to be too dull and warm for me on my instruments (lacking "sizzle" as you put it) and the other bronzes to be too harsh sounding (for me, on my guitars). So while I'm sure these are great strings for others, on other guitars, my experience was, as yours seems to be, that I could simply find better matches for myself and my instruments with other brands. I use Aluminum Bronze on my old Gibson L00, for a beautiful, clear, airy tone (lots of volume, too) and the ubiquitous D'Addario PB on my Collings 0002HCE and self-made dread. Good luck fine-tuning your choices. Maybe other gauges of GHS will give you what you seek. They're certainly well made.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Fingers View Post
Interesting post. I'm confused. You say that GHS are remarkable, but then report reservations about the sets you've tried v/v the guitars you've tried them on. That's been my experience with GHS, and why I've ended up with other brands for all of my guitars. I find the PB to be too dull and warm for me on my instruments (lacking "sizzle" as you put it) and the other bronzes to be too harsh sounding (for me, on my guitars). So while I'm sure these are great strings for others, on other guitars, my experience was, as yours seems to be, that I could simply find better matches for myself and my instruments with other brands. I use Aluminum Bronze on my old Gibson L00, for a beautiful, clear, airy tone (lots of volume, too) and the ubiquitous D'Addario PB on my Collings 0002HCE and self-made dread. Good luck fine-tuning your choices. Maybe other gauges of GHS will give you what you seek. They're certainly well made.
Let me try to clear the confusion...

I'd like a little more sizzle than I'm getting with the PB's and a little less with the SB's. The question is, will going to 13's on the SB's reduce the sizzle without killing off any of the other properties that make them "close"?

I don't think I used the word "amazing", but I do think that the GHS strings have some terrific properties. If I had no other choice but to choose either of the test strings I'd be ok with them. Looking for that little extra.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 02-13-2018, 12:43 PM

I used to have a Taylor 310 on which I used the SB's religiously.
Initially they were a bit bright but after a a couple of days they were killer on that guitar and I tried a bunch more. Every time I tried something else, I went back to the SB's
My $.02

By the way, mine were the Doyle Dykes 11.5-54's

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-13-2018, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
First a shout out to those who've been singing the praises of GHS strings. I will concur that this brand should be at the top of the list for testing. I don't know why it took me so long!?

This week I had a chance to test both GHS Signature Bronze and Phosphor Bronze strings (both 12-54). The SB's were tested on both my 1981 MIJ Epiphone PR-755s (think D28 sound) and Taylor 814ceDLX. I'm trying to dial in the sounds I'm looking for on these guitars and think I am very close.

First up were the Signature Bronze strings... These strings tend to be very bright out of the box, far too bright for the Epiphone, but only marginally bright on the 814. These strings are LOUD. When I brought my 814 into the kitchen to see what my GF had to say about the sound, she was actually startled by the volume, almost complaining! I like that they really ring out but am on the fence about the brightness on the 814. She said that they sound a little "stiff" (I'm not sure what that means as she is not a musician). I'm not hearing stiffness so I can't say what she didn't like about them.

I took the SB's off the Epi after a day as I know these strings are not a good match for this guitar. The Epi now has SUS strings on it and the PB's will be next.

Phosphor Bronze: Nice tone. Very much like you'd expect good phos/bronze strings to sound like. They didn't have the sizzle or volume that the SB's had. They were noticeably less loud than the SB's. I like these strings, and they seem to sound a lot like the SUS strings that I'd been using on my 814 until this point. I'd be ok with these on my 814 but I'm intriqued by the SB's for sure as they are so different than any other string that I've tried on this guitar and closer to what I'm listening for in sound. And so my question(s)...

As I really like the general nature of the Signature Bronze strings, but want to maintain the bass projection and volume but want to knock off a bit of the high brashness. So will I accomplish that by just moving up a gauge to 13's? Or, should I be looking at the GHS White Bronze? I know that White's are rated as being between the PB's and SB's, but I suspect the tone will be completely different. Also I see that previously the White's were identified as for acoustic guitar, now they're identified for acoustic electric. Is that only a packaging change or did they change the strings?

Thoughts and opinions? Thanks for your advice and help.
I think it would be a good experiment to try the SBs in medium or true medium. Especially in the high E and B strings, I have found that going up a gauge can cut that harsh edge. I also have found that the SBs take a longer time to settle in than the PBs. Like maybe a week and they are not a match for every guitar. I have not yet tried the White Bronze but have used the Vintage Bronze - very warm and probably not enough sizzle for sure but nice strings on certain guitars. The White Bronze can be both for electric and acoustic. Since acoustic/electric guitars are more talked about these days, I think they decided to market those strings in that way because the alloys are more magnetic. Worth a try. I do not have any experience with the Doyle Dykes signatures but may give them a try soon.

Best,
Jayne
Old 02-13-2018, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
I think it would be a good experiment to try the SBs in medium or true medium. Especially in the high E and B strings, I have found that going up a gauge can cut that harsh edge. I also have found that the SBs take a longer time to settle in than the PBs.

Best,
Jayne
I think your suggestion is what's needed. I found that I can order individual strings so after consulting the gauge tension guide I've ordered a 13, a 17 and a 56 which are the difference between the lights and true mediums. I learned that A, D and G are the same gauge in lights and true mediums which is a different approach than other brands where the focus seems to be the three higher strings, rather the E1, B and E6.

As a side note, I'm finding that pick selection makes huge difference. When I strum the PB's a light pick will bring out some sizzle while a thicker pick can bring out some unwanted (Andy Powers might call them chaotic) overtones. The Signature Bronze allows me to use a heavier pick and pound a little harder.

I'd been having an internal conflict about my 814 nearly returned it initially, then after the return period came close to selling it. Now, after many hours of Tonerite and getting closer and closer to strings that suit me I'm really starting to love this guitar. ...More testing to come
Old 02-13-2018, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Let me try to clear the confusion...

I'd like a little more sizzle than I'm getting with the PB's and a little less with the SB's. ...snip...
I am a huge GHS fan, and have used all their acoustic sets on one or another of my guitars. Yes - I would say that the True Medium Signature Bronze are slightly less bright than the light gauge Signature Bronze. I would also say that both the White Bronze (Alloy 52) and the Bright Bronze (80/20) are worth a try (light gauge) in your situation. In my experience the brightness of all these sets can be pretty close, and varies based on the guitar.

Oh, and if you think the Signature Bronze are loud, wait until you hear the White Bronze!

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 02-13-2018, 02:26 PM

I believe this chart is for GHS strings.

I've tried GHS baritone, Nashville/High Strung and Silk & Bronze 6 and 12-string sets and they've all been excellent.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 02-14-2018, 03:00 AM

Does anyone know if the signature series are similar/the same as the Lawrence Juber signature series?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 02-14-2018, 09:50 AM

Thanks for your replies. All are quite helpful.

But in the last 24 hours something a little odd has happened... As expected the Phosphor Bronze have settled in a bit, but oddly instead of getting warmer and darker, yes they've gotten a bit warmer but I'm hearing more harmonics that weren't present yesterday! I've not experienced that with any other strings and had expectations of the opposite. So the PB's are producing a bigger more resonance sound. To some extent could be my ears (but I think not) and more likely my office where it was hanging had a slight increase in humidity (now approx 45%). I dunno.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your replies. All are quite helpful.

But in the last 24 hours something a little odd has happened... As expected the Phosphor Bronze have settled in a bit, but oddly instead of getting warmer and darker, yes they've gotten a bit warmer but I'm hearing more harmonics that weren't present yesterday! I've not experienced that with any other strings and had expectations of the opposite. So the PB's are producing a bigger more resonance sound. To some extent could be my ears (but I think not) and more likely my office where it was hanging had a slight increase in humidity (now approx 45%). I dunno.

I put on a set of the PB,s to try today (instead of my favourite Elixir nano PB) First impressions were very disappointing - a little bass dominated and lacking in clarity and sweetness compared to the Elixirs.

2h in after some playing and sitting, I think they are also showing signs of lightening up a little and giving a bit more sweetness.

I’ve also got the LJ signatures to try.

Old 02-15-2018, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
Does anyone know if the signature series are similar/the same as the Lawrence Juber signature series?
There are two signature sets - one was Laurence Juber and one is Doyle Dykes. The Signature Bronze no longer has LJs endorsement as I believe he now endorses a Martin string. So they just call these Signature Bronze. I think the inventory designation is still LJ and the numbers. The Americana's are also the same as the Signature Bronze, I do believe. I hope that helps and if anyone more knowledgeable knows something else, please add to and or correct me if I am mistaken.

Best,
Jayne
Old 02-15-2018, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
There are two signature sets - one was Laurence Juber and one is Doyle Dykes. The Signature Bronze no longer has LJs endorsement as I believe he now endorses a Martin string. So they just call these Signature Bronze. I think the inventory designation is still LJ and the numbers. The Americana's are also the same as the Signature Bronze, I do believe. I hope that helps and if anyone more knowledgeable knows something else, please add to and or correct me if I am mistaken.

Best,

Jayne

Thanks for clearing that up Jayne.

Old 02-15-2018, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

FYI, here is the email I received from GHS a few months ago. I thought I asked her about the difference between Americana and Signature, but maybe that was a follow up email...

———

There is a difference in the Americana and Phosphor Bronze.

The Americana are a copper-tin phosphor alloy on a hex core. They are cryogenically treated (frozen to a temp -360 degrees). This process changes the tone of the strings, makes then a bit brighter and helps them stay in tune longer, it also makes them more corrosion resistant, great for all outdoor playing.

The Phosphor Bronze are also a copper-tin alloy on a hex core, however the cover to core ratio is different. The have a little more mellow tone than the Americana Series. These are not cryogenically treated.

The only string brighter than our bright bronze 80/20 is the contact core bright bronze. The core wire is exposed so it has better contact with the bridge and soundboard. It has a richer and more defined bass tone with piano like clarity...

One of our sleeper acoustics strings is our Vintage Bronze. These are a 85/12 copper zinc alloy which give a mellow, sweet sound. Warm and rich tone. So if you have a guitar that's to bright these would be perfect.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
I put on a set of the PB,s to try today (instead of my favourite Elixir nano PB) First impressions were very disappointing - a little bass dominated and lacking in clarity and sweetness compared to the Elixirs.

2h in after some playing and sitting, I think they are also showing signs of lightening up a little and giving a bit more sweetness.

I’ve also got the LJ signatures to try.
I think it all depends on the individual guitar and how it ages or breaks in. You just have to try until you get it right.

Right now the 814 likes Straight Up Strings medium tension and GHS PB's about equally. I think if I put the right combination of gauges of the Signatures I might have a winner on that guitar. Except for a little excess brightness I really liked the Signature 12's. so I have some individual strings ordered to be able to convert from Light to True Medium. Hope to have them today or tomorrow.

Initially my Taylor 614ce didn't sound very good with Elixirs- and I tried all gauge combinations. But after using the Tonerite for a couple hundred hours its tone shifted and now does very well with Elixir Nano 12's. Not so much my 814ceDLX.

I'm also once again testing strings on my daughter's (my old) Yairi DY77. It's not liking Martin and Sunbeams aren't setting me on fire with that guitar either. I think it's time for GHS PB's and or John Pearse.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion