The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-19-2018, 05:58 PM

Default Why not oak as a tone wood?

I live in an oak forest and that got me thinking: why no oak guitars? it certainly is hard enough - the weight maybe?
Old 02-19-2018, 06:30 PM

Default Why not?

Has it been tried for acoustic?

Oak, Ash, Hickory, all very similar could it be the open course grain?
Weight shouldn't be a issue.

Leo Fender bought train loads of low grade ash at a bargain price because it wasn't good enough for axe and shovel handles. He named it swamp ash. The rest is history.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 02-19-2018, 06:34 PM

Seen a pic on Pinterest of a Santa Cruze guitar that was named Ghost oak Looked good. Probably sounded good or they would build one out of it. Problem is we have all somewhat been brain washed into thinking the Brazilian rosewood is god and hog and EI rosewood was a close second and very thing else sucks
Old 02-19-2018, 06:37 PM

I'm fairly certain there was someone here who did make one out of oak b/s, with pics as well. Can't comment on it sonically as I didn't hear it.

The biggest trouble would be for the guitar community to accept it as a new tonewood. It isn't naturally coulored like the hogs and RW, and doesn't have nice figuring to it either. Most of us here also need a pleasing aesthetic look too.

But I'm sure it can be used to make a decent sounding guitar
Old 02-19-2018, 06:53 PM

Found some old posts that might help:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=350449

http://acousticguitarforum.com/forum...d.php?t=205185
Old 02-19-2018, 06:59 PM

I've been using oak for B&S wood for about thirty years. I saw one of those Sears guitars from about 1900 in oak at a store once and thought it was pretty nice, considering how cheaply it was built. Nick Appolonio up in Maine had been using it for some time, as well, so I started.

I made a 'matched' pair of Classicals using oak and BRW about twenty years ago, and published an article on them in the Journal of the Catgut Acoustical Society. The rosewood guitar was a bit better, but not all that much so.

Oak is fairly dense, of course, but right in line with BRW in that respect, as well as in stiffness at a given thickness. Oak tends to have somewhat higher damping than BRW; it doesn't ring quite as long when you tap it, but it's not much different from IRW. When well quartered it is stable and quite stiff across the grain. It's not nearly as nice whan flat cut. It's one of the easiest woods to bend. It does have large pores that require filling. It's not too hard to find curly grained oak, and, in any case, the 'ray flake' pattern of well quartered oak can be quite attractive. OTOH, some folks just don't like it, associating it with old furniture. White oak can be fumed with ammonia, which reacts with the tannin to bring up a darker color.

All the oak guitars I've made in the past few years have sounded very good. I'd use it a lot more if it were not for the difficulty I've had in selling them. It seems that people don't want to try something so 'different'. I do see more examples of oak being used, and maybe, with more familiarity, it will become more acceptible. It has been suggested that we give it a catchier name, like 'Norwegian rosewood'....
Old 02-19-2018, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Carruth View Post
I do see more examples of oak being used, and maybe, with more familiarity, it will become more acceptible. It has been suggested that we give it a catchier name, like 'Norwegian rosewood'....
Maybe you could extol it’s English heritage in some way ? Call it “Royal Heartwood” or something ....

We love it so much we sing about it here !

Old 02-19-2018, 07:39 PM

Default oak

Oak is a fine tonewood and one we will see more and more of.

I am burning mostly Hickory and Beech right now and boy do the Beech logs ring when I handle them - but not the Hickory (BTW, it's not Shagbark). I don't think I have heard a more musical firewood than that Beech, yet it is almost never used. But Oak is prettier and used far more often.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:32 PM

There is some good info from the Tonewood Data Source website.

My favorite line is, "The only thing wrong with oak instruments is that they look so much like furniture. "
Old 02-19-2018, 08:33 PM

This sums up the entire reason why oak guitars don't get made very often:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Carruth View Post
All the oak guitars I've made in the past few years have sounded very good. I'd use it a lot more if it were not for the difficulty I've had in selling them.
Which is a pity, but business is business.

whm
Old 02-19-2018, 08:57 PM
Charter Member

Hans Brentrup has built many guitars from oak as well.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:11 PM

Isn't the Gibson J-15 made with oak back and sides? If so, the one I played at Janet Davis music was a lot of guitar for a modest price.

“We are all bozos on this bus."

1967 D-28 (still on warranty) / 1969 homemade Mastertone / 1977 OME Juggernaught / 2003 D-42 / 2006 HD-28V burst / 2010 Little Martin / 2012 Custom Shop HD-28V / 2014 Taylor 356ce 12 / 2016 Martin D-28 Authentic
Old 02-19-2018, 09:52 PM

Lowden has a special edition using Bog Oak as back and sides. Just a stunning instrument.
Preston Thompson: O Koa
Old 02-19-2018, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCawber View Post
Isn't the Gibson J-15 made with oak back and sides? If so, the one I played at Janet Davis music was a lot of guitar for a modest price.
Walnut. Another undeservedly overlooked tonewood.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:16 PM

Bought an instrument a Lark in the Morning in SF ages ago, a ca 1900 or so “Washington” brand parlor with ladder bracing and oak back and sides. It really sounded amazing given its tiny size and bracing. I sold it to a friend who plays a lot of older music and sometime wish I hadn’t - it was really very good. Oak worked OK for that guitar, anyhow....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion