The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-19-2018, 06:02 PM
Charter Member

Default Martin “Full V neck”?

Talked to a friend who said his OM 28 Custom has a “full V” neck. Different from a mod v? Don’t see it listed on the Martin website. Thanks!
Old 02-19-2018, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

Never heard of a "full V." He may be referring to the 30s style V as seen on this chart. But that seems to be less of a V than the modified. Possibly it's a hand carved V that they didn't program into their CNCs, so wouldn't be on this chart.
Steve

PS Sorry, the chart was a PDF & wouldn't attach.
Old 02-19-2018, 06:51 PM

I'm not sure I can cite specifications, but I have a 1972 D35 with what I presume is a modified or "soft" V neck. I have two other guitars with similar neck shapes (1981 Epiphone and 1974 Alvarez Yairi). This is my preferred neck shape and I gravitated to these guitars without even knowing what a V neck was. But just today I played an HD28 with what I have to presume is a "full" V neck. Man, it was just uncomfortable in my hand which surprised the heck out of me.

I'm not sure about Martin, but a lot of necks are still hand shaped today (as opposed to CNC) and there can be quite a bit of variability from neck to neck. All I can say is what I've pretty much been saying all along... If at all possible, buy only guitars you can hold in your hands.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 02-20-2018, 12:00 AM
Charter Member

I'm sure there are others who know more, but I believe a full V neck describes the shape of older Martin necks. The Authentic series have specially carved necks, but they are probably not unlike what might be described as full V. It's certainly a thicker neck with a more prominent V than the "mod V" shape offered on instruments from the Vintage series or the 000-28ec.

In 1985 Martin introduced the modern "low" profile neck; this became the standard profile in 1991, replacing the full thickness (which had varied over the years - a D-28 from the 1950s has a different neck shape from a 1980s D-28).

As a custom shop option, Martin does offer a "Full Thickness" neck. It can be rounded or V shaped. This may be what your friend has. It can also be found on the odd signature model, like the D-45 John Mayer, D-42JC Johnny Cash, D-18 Del McCoury 50th Anniversary Custom Edition, and 00-18 Tim O'Brien.

Last edited by Erithon; 02-20-2018 at 12:08 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion