The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-15-2018, 07:45 PM

I liked the Vintage Bronze but love the Phosphor Bronze thus far. To my ear they have a lot of sizzle but they are starting to mellow a bit. Next time I'm going to try the True mediums to get a little more bass response.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:22 AM

Took the PB’s off today after 24h - really didn’t do it for me. I found them relatively lifeless on my guitar and with no clarity or “sizzle” (Furch OM24SR) I have now got the signature’s on it, and they are, as reported earlier here, a fair bit brighter and more in line with what I like on this guitar.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 02-16-2018, 03:24 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
Took the PB’s off today after 24h - really didn’t do it for me. I found them relatively lifeless on my guitar and with no clarity or “sizzle” (Furch OM24SR) I have now got the signature’s on it, and they are, as reported earlier here, a fair bit brighter and more in line with what I like on this guitar.

I have used both on my German/Cocobolo Wingert and the Signature Bronze True Mediums fit best. I find that the PBs are just a hair too mellow.

Best,
Jayne
Old 02-16-2018, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
I have used both on my German/Cocobolo Wingert and the Signature Bronze True Mediums fit best. I find that the PBs are just a hair too mellow.

Best,
Jayne

UPDATE

The new strings came today. I ordered singles, 13, 17 and 56. In other words these three strings are the difference between light and true medium. Earlier in the day I had PB's and when I compared the sound with my 614 with Elixirs I came away liking my 614 better. So I put the Signature lights on, swapping out the 13 and 17 instead of 12 & 16. The sound was far less jangly and bright, but not so much different from the PB lights. Then I put in the 56 in place of the 54. Suddenly my 814 took on a different personality that I'm liking a lot.

I think I've recognized something today that I've known all along but didn't understand the full impact: Strings play off of each other for their harmonics. I wouldn't have expected that putting the .056 6th string on would make much more difference than just adding more pronounced bass. But it seemed to bring everything more into balance. I would have thought that the .013 and .017 would have by themselves been enough for me to think "ahhh", but it wasn't until I added the 56 was that to happen. And the lights, 12-54, while they were overall too bright for this guitar, the sound of the light set was much more cohesive whose cohesiveness diminished when I altered the set with the heavier 1st and 2nd strings.... Just thought I'd share.

So, so far I'm really liking the True Mediums as you do, Jayne. Much as I like the Straight Up Strings on this 814 I'm inclined to stay with the GHS Signatures. They should be fully settled by this time next week when I have my next gig. Thanks for your help.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 02-17-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post

Best,
Jayne

Thanks Jayne.

Day 2 of the sig PB’s on my rosewood guitar and they are sounding very nice - slightly more mellow but still sweet and with some sizzle!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 02-17-2018, 09:19 AM

Using Vintage Bronze now and am torn between them and PB's. The PB's kick out some real volume but the tone of the Vintage Bronze is a bit more subdued. Not enough difference in playability to matter.

The Pure Nickel mandolin strings are great on my tone bar braced Flatiron. Very clean tone without any loss of volume. Going to try the PB mandolin strings on my X brace Flatiron as it is a more "in your face" instrument.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:45 PM

Just put a set of PB Mediums on my Flatiron A5 Artist. Compared to new D'Addario J74's (the almost universal mandolin string) the GHS were more fundamental and seemed louder. The J74's take the overtones over the top when new and the GHS were tamer and more subdued. I'll let them settle a bit and then really shake them down.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:21 AM

Update to the Update...

The strings have played in a few days and I think I'm very happy with the .013 and .017 1st and 2nd strings. I've played the .056 for a few days and I felt that something was missing in the sound.

A heavier string is supposed to project bass more, no? I'm hearing something different. Perhaps the bass FUNDAMENTAL is a bit louder, but like the heavier higher string, the heavier string (naturally)also shaves off some of the overtones. What I discovered on my Martin D35 and Sunbeam 12's is that these strings gave it plenty of bass projection, but there was something magical about the sound. I couldn't put my finger on it, but I think I understand now...

That 6th string is really important. It provides the bass fundamental for chords. But it also contributes overtones to the composite resonance which together create resultant harmonics for a fuller, thicker, expanded aural tonal experience. In other words, a slightly lighter bass string can contribute more with its harmonics than with its fundamental.

So I replaced the .056 with the .054 and I began to hear what I was looking for. I suppose .013 .017 .026 .036 .046 .054 is conceptually similar to Elixir's HD lights, except that GHS keeps strings 3, 4, and 5 the same in the Lights and True Mediums.

I'm liking what I'm hearing, but also perhaps that is because I'm trying to strum and pick with a lighter right hand. Only time will tell. I'll have to re-test the SUS strings just to be sure which will be my go-to strings on the 814, but I'm finding that GHS has a lot to offer and can't believe I haven't tried any of their strings before.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion