The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-12-2018, 03:14 PM

Default New Electric Guitar Day

Saturday, I ran into Guitar Center to pick up an XLR cable. I didn't have much time; the wife was waiting for me in the car, but a guitar did catch my eye while I was checking out. It had the most beautiful natural finish (I later found out it was Ash). A fellow patron was playing it so I didn't pay it much mind.

Later that night, I got to thinking about the guitar. It was a single cutaway with what looked like two miniature humbuckers -- color me intrigued.

Sunday evening, I went to "check it out". Much to my surprise it was a Taylor. I knew that Taylor had ventured into the electric guitar market several years ago, but being a Strat guy, I never felt inclined to investigate further.

I picked this guitar up and, as is my process, first strummed some chords unplugged. The resonance was unbelievable. I don't believe I've ever felt an electric guitar neck that vibrated so much with a simple strum. Also, the neck felt so good. Smooth as butter and with a slightly wider string spacing than my Strat.

I plugged it up to a Friedman and that was that. I brought it home with me.

I have band practice tonight. I can't wait to see how it does in that context with my Dr Z. I will report back.
Old 02-12-2018, 04:21 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Congrats! Enjoy it!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-12-2018, 07:46 PM

I wonder how many NGD stories start out with "I went to the guitar store to buy an accessory ..." . Congrats on the Taylor!

I think you could plug any guitar into a Friedman and end up with it. Enjoy!
Old 02-12-2018, 07:53 PM

Owner of a 2007 first-batch Claro walnut Custom Solidbody here - a few caveats:
  • In its quest for innovation in the electric arena comparable to that of their well-regarded acoustics, the Solidbody line was equipped with a number of critical parts that do not meet "standard" specifications; most notable/notorious among these is the bridge assembly which, while substantial in appearance (and producing the characteristic Taylor "ring" for which their acoustics are noted), is extremely fragile. By way of information I've got 55+ years of experience under my belt, done my own basic setups (as well as several bandmates') for the last 40, and never had issues with any of the major (and a few minor) makers' hardware; in spite of the fact that I followed the enclosed instructions carefully, I managed to crack two bridge assemblies in the course of three years (not hard, since they're made of compressed powdered aluminum - lightweight and resonant, but zero durability factor) - and the authorized Taylor tech who installed the last one under warranty (I wasn't about to take the chance a third time) told me I got the very last one in factory inventory. In short: don't mess with it on your own, don't breathe on it, don't even look at it the wrong way, bring it to an authorized tech if you need adjustment - and hope that he/she doesn't wreck it in the process, since there's nothing else even remotely close that'll fit (and retrofitting with a standard TOM/Fender hardtail will probably cost as much as I'm guessing you paid for the guitar in the first place)...
  • The electronics are as idiosyncratic as the hardware; while the mini-buckers look very much like Firebird pickups (and have a similarly crisp and focused tone) they're in no way interchangeable - and, like the bridge assembly, long out of production. In addition, they were equipped with a low-value fast-blow fuse wired into the control circuitry, to prevent shock in the event of poor grounding (FYI many of their acoustic-electrics used the same setup). Bad news is that they're a little too sensitive: if you live in an older house (or play a venue) without modern wiring you will blow the fuse - count on it - and while it allows you to keep playing you'll pick up hum and interference like a '50s single-coil guitar; I'm not even sure the required fuses are still available through the Taylorware shop (I bought a pack when I discovered this questionable little feature), and I heard that a couple guys made jumpers from a small piece of .017-018 guitar string which, while it defeats the purpose of the fuse, allows you to play noise-free with no more risk than a standard electric guitar. Since there are no questions of voiding the warranty on your used instrument, this might not be a bad way to go in the interest of convenience/reliability...
Aside from that, they're fine playing/sounding guitars that lend themselves well to a variety of styles, exceptionally lightweight on the strap (mine probably weighs no more than 5-1/2 pounds - about the same as a 17" jumbo acoustic) - and had Taylor been a little more mainstream in their choice of fittings (as they were with the T-3 hollowbody) they could have had a real winner on their hands...

Use it well, often, and LOUD...
Old 02-13-2018, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Owner of a 2007 first-batch Claro walnut Custom Solidbody here - a few caveats...:
Thanks for the information Steve. It is most definitely a light guitar, and the neck is amazing. However, I wasn't %100 sold on its performance at my practice last night. I'm going to give it some time. Having bought it from Guitar Center, I have 45 days to decide.

I am a little worried about the proprietary parts. I tend to be hard on my electric guitars.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I wonder how many NGD stories start out with "I went to the guitar store to buy an accessory ..." . Congrats on the Taylor!

I think you could plug any guitar into a Friedman and end up with it. Enjoy!
I'm most defiantly going to give that Friedman another look. I'm not sure which model I tried... I think it was in the $1700 range.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmulli View Post
I'm most defiantly going to give that Friedman another look. I'm not sure which model I tried... I think it was in the $1700 range.
At that range it was probably the PT-20 or the Dirty Shirley 20. The Runt goes for a little less than that.
Old 02-27-2018, 01:13 PM

Quick update for anyone interested: The proprietary parts (bridge and pickups) ultimately scared me away from hanging on to the Taylor Solid body. I loved the tone and the neck, but I ended up returning it to Guitar Center and buying a used Baja Telecaster and Fender Pro Junior from two separate private sellers.

Anyways, NGD turned into a NGD and NAD. Sometimes life ain't so bad.
Old 02-27-2018, 01:22 PM

Happy NAGD!
Old 02-27-2018, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Quick update for anyone interested: The proprietary parts (bridge and pickups) ultimately scared me away from hanging on to the Taylor Solid body. I loved the tone and the neck, but I ended up returning it to Guitar Center and buying a used Baja Telecaster and Fender Pro Junior from two separate private sellers.

Congrats on the Tele and Pro Junior. Shame that the proprietary parts scared you off. A note to Taylor could help with future decisions about things like that.

Thanks for providing an update.
Old 02-27-2018, 06:49 PM

Welcome to the Fender Telecaster club
Old 03-02-2018, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

I loved the tone of my walnut model, was everything I wanted. I couldn't bond with the neck. It was too flat and thin, and the high e string hit a very sensitive spot on my index finger on every bar chord. I couldn't get used to it, didn't want to fight with it, so traded it. But the sound was awesome. That being said, you were smart in not hanging onto it with all the proprietary parts and with it being as fragile as Steve reported. Congrats on the Tele and amp. You can beat the heck out of a Tele and it only smiles and asks for more.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 03-02-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I think it's ultra common. I have a buddy that has to avoid guitars stores because, no matter why he goes in, he always leaves with an amp or guitar. The last was a Taylor 814ce.
Old 03-02-2018, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Hey congrats pics please when you get a chance

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 03-02-2018, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeX View Post
I think it's ultra common. I have a buddy that has to avoid guitars stores because, no matter why he goes in, he always leaves with an amp or guitar. The last was a Taylor 814ce.
Those are the kind of friends you want to hang out with.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars