The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-31-2018, 09:33 PM
Charter Member

Default fingers stiffening/cramping

I hope this is an OK place to post this question, but I'm desperate. Out of the blue about a week ago, fingers and hand (left) started feeling stiff and like they were going to cramp...like a charlie horse. then I was playing a gig, and the
hand did cramp up a bit....I was able to finish by faking some stuff, but it was not fun. I haven't been playing any more or less than usual, which is moderate.

I'm interested in finding out what causes this and more important...what to do!?
Huss&Dalton 000 M/Adi (2020)
Martin Custom Shop D28/45 SnkrMahog/Adi (2019)
Santa Cruz 1929 00 (2014)
Bourgeois O Custom Adi (2010)
Froggy Bottom Model K Deluxe (2001)
Appalachian Resonator (2013)
J.E. Dallas Banjo (c.1900-1905)
Gibson A-50 Mandolin (1943)
Old 02-01-2018, 06:04 AM
Charter Member

I had the exact same thing happen to me twenty years ago. Only worse. I never found a solution. My problem was exasperated by playing bar chords. So I worked around playing bar chords. I still do. This means I don't finger the low E string. Sometimes I don't finger either E string when playing a first position style E chord up the neck. Sometimes on chords that go by quickly I just play the main notes of the chord like a couple of strings. Often they will be the bass notes. So I compensate and don't do the things with my fretting hand that irritate it. If it hurts or causes a problem don't do it. Good luck!

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 02-01-2018, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippieDave View Post
I hope this is an OK place to post this question, but I'm desperate. Out of the blue about a week ago, fingers and hand (left) started feeling stiff and like they were going to cramp...like a charlie horse. then I was playing a gig, and the
hand did cramp up a bit....I was able to finish by faking some stuff, but it was not fun. I haven't been playing any more or less than usual, which is moderate.

I'm interested in finding out what causes this and more important...what to do!?
PM me and I'll let you know what I do for that.

EZ :

HR
Life has always been interesting to me

Last edited by Kerbie; 02-01-2018 at 06:32 AM. Reason: Edited comment on mod action
Old 02-03-2018, 02:05 PM

Does this only happen later in the day? I have found that if do a lot of tasks that require a lot of use with my hands and fingers during the day before i play the guitar, then yes i will get cramps in my fingers most of the time, which just like you said, makes it very hard or next to impossible to play.
I try to play now earlier in the day so that when my fingers do cramp up, then i'm just doing tasks and not playing the guitar.
Tom
E20 OM-SB Eastman
Old 02-03-2018, 03:51 PM

Electrolyte imbalance and/or dehydration are common causes for cramps.
Old 02-07-2018, 03:24 PM
Charter Member

I experienced the same thing a few years ago, attributed it to age and being "out of shape". Then on routine visit to the doc and blood work being done it was disclosed that I was low on potassium. I should have guessed it as low potassium can cause cramping. Started on more potassium foods and an over the counter supplement. No problems since, may be worth a try. Good luck
Old 02-07-2018, 03:49 PM

I've had some pretty horrible problems of this type.

Turned out it was from drinking tea. Can't find any actual scientific evidence for this happening except for the case of Earl Grey tea but drinking coffee instead of Tea was a really easy solution.

I do a lot of other things with my hands but for whatever reason after a few days of drinking tea I start getting muscle cramps more quickly across just about any activity. Really annoying playing guitar and working at the computer. For some reason actual heavy exercise or physical activity was not as bad once warmed up. It's a weird thing, it's like there is increased tension and the increased tension builds up to cramps over time.

I tried potassium/electrolytes/vitamins/etc.. on the theory that I was screwed up but nothing really worked till I cut out the tea.
Old 02-08-2018, 01:17 PM

For me the cramping and stiffening was the precursor to arthritis. It all came on so suddenly and I have just had to live with it. Fortunately, guitar playing loosens up my hands which is counter-intuitive. I dunno...

For regular cramping... I was getting horrible cramps in my legs, even spontaneously at night when asleep. I did find a solution for that problem... Magnesium. Regular magnesium supplements made the cramps stop and they haven't returned since I added magnesium to my morning pill routine. .
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 02-08-2018, 09:13 PM
Charter Member

Google "Hand/Finger Exercises" and check those out... that's a really good place to start. Most folks just expect their hands and fingers to work, 'cause they always have, but exercising and stretching our hands makes a LOT of sense to me, precisely BECAUSE I use them so much and so frequently...

I've said, many times, (and laughed as I said it!) that my little Boston Terrier would rule the world if she had opposable thumbs...

You said nothing about your vocation, what type of diet you follow, or any hand massage/exercises you might do... but EVERYTHING is related, everything we are is a part of "our" Whole.

I've had minor issues (and worse) with my hands and fingers, and I've chosen to be proactive and start a regimen of various hand exercises, both self and using Chinese Meditation Balls and it seems to be working well for me.

I'm going to check out the mineral supplement aspect of this, too...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 02-09-2018, 01:12 PM

Look into some supplements, maybe you're cramped because of a vitamin or mineral deficiency, I suggest a proper magnesium supplement like magnesium taurate. And soak your hands in epsom salts, it sounds goofy but it works, it's something you can do all the time. Google about muscle cramps and supplements and stuff. Best wishes in getting relief.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:18 PM

May be a good time for an annual physical and ask your doctor what may be going on or changing. No one here able to make diagnosis or medical advice on line. Any symptom could be caused by a myriad of issues. Good luck.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write