The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-05-2008, 01:35 PM

Default Hands On: 000-18NB

After owning the guitar for a paltry 5 weeks, I wanted to make some comments on the 000-18NB i have in my possession.

The 000-18NB:
This guitar is very unique. A OOO body but with a 12fret to body neck. Most OOO's have 14 to body necks. This neck (width is 1 and 13/16") is a short scale (24.9") and also the whole neck has been shifted down into the body. Consequently, the bridge has shifted closer to the lower bout center as well. The sound hole has also been reduced in diameter. The bracing pattern is like no other Martin because of the abnormal bridge placement.

The effects:
- A very responsive top (italian spruce) due to the more centered bridge
- Great bass response due to the bracing and smaller sound hole
- Easy playability because a.) it is short scale and b.) since the neck is shifted inward towards the body, the fretting arm is closer to the body thus creating less tension overall (atleast for me). In previous guitars, I have to reach out my arm farther to play open chords or anything around the first few frets. I've never been in a more comfortable position playing naturally. Also, with a wide string spacing, it is much easier to fret strings since they are spread out further. A 1.75" inch neck, I could bar fine but if I wanted to play a very taxing chord configuration, it would hurt my index finger joints a lot. Didn't like that.
- The bracing pattern makes this guitar tremble with tone. Try playing a very slow melody on the two highest strings around the 7-10 fret area, hold the note. Can you hear the overtones? Sound like a choir full of angels. That is what I experience on the 000-18NB. It is an amazing sound in a quiet room with good acoustics. You can actually hear some amazing reverb like bells that acompany the note that you are playing.

The culmination of all these things is a guitar that is a smaller body but with a huge sound and a more responsive tone. The 000-18NB is unique but I have discovered that the specs on it are perfect for me. I will admit the specs make this guitar appeal only to a very select few.

Honestly, I can't afford anything more expensive than this guitar. I wish I could because then I could GAS for a Bashkin, McKnight, or a Collings but honestly, this guitar has once again totally blown me away.

I am glad I bought this guitar. It will stick with me forever. All the other guitars I have had previously just wasn't made for me. This one has everything right but most importantly the tone is the best for what kind of money I got right now

I highly recommend that you try a GE, Marquis, or a special edition such as a Norman Blake. They are wonderful guitars that are beautiful looking and sounding.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:55 PM

Thanks for the great review....lately I've been GASing for a 000-18GE or A myself....sigh....

Blue

Larrivee OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Harmony Herd (1203, 162, 165, 6362)
Silvercreek T-170
Composite Acoustics Cargo RAW
Old 02-05-2008, 02:33 PM

It has always been the case for 0, 00, 000 and Dreads to be available in 12 fret or 14 fret neck joints. I love the tone of a 12 fret instrument. The 000's 24.9" scale length is my favorite on a small body, too.

Sounds like a great guitar.

Regards,
Kevin Gallagher
Old 02-05-2008, 05:43 PM

Sounds like a great guitar!

Small body 12 frets are fantastic fingerpickers, enjoy your Norman Blake!

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 02-05-2008, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue in VT View Post
Thanks for the great review....lately I've been GASing for a 000-18GE or A myself....sigh....

Blue
You want the 000-18GE! Trust me!!
Old 02-05-2008, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaW View Post
You want the 000-18GE! Trust me!!
Or save more for the new 000-18 Authentic.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:26 PM

I'm curious about the 000-18NB. Are you using medium strings with that guitar? I would assume that lights would be too slinky on a 24.9" scale. I like a 1 13/16" nut also. There seems to be more room for some chords when fingerpicking.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion