The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-12-2006, 09:45 PM

Thumbs up Avalon A101CE Comes Home

Got it today. It's really a neat guitar. Small body cutaway, like a Tacoma mini-jumbo. Nice hardshell case.

Cedar top and mahogany back/sides. Pearwood binding. Pretty flawless.

The neck is thicker than the Tacomas, and will take some getting used to, but not uncomfortable to play.

Action was too high, so I did a string change and took the Tusq saddle down a heavy 1/16th and it's much more friendly.

One nice addition was a set of Bob Colosi bridge pins in bone. They sat abit too low in my DM-28, and fit just perfect in the Avalon, and look classy to boot. I'd like a bone saddle to match, but in no hurry at this point.

The A101CE plays and sounds like I'd hoped for. I had to sell off my Chief to make room/money for this purchase, and will miss the CM-28. This guitar has more bottom end and volume, but to be expected with a thicker body. The Chief was pretty effortless to play, and this one takes more work to get going, but might be an aquired taste.

I like it.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:29 AM

Great stuff..

Nice tonewood combo, warmth of the cedar, sparkly trebles of the mahogany..

What does she sound like plugged in?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion