The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Old 06-17-2017, 09:15 PM
Charter Member

Default 2013 Gibson 1934 Original Jumbo Reissue - Price Lowered Again

SOLD.

Serial #13073014. Completed 11/3/13.
“Jumbo” size Flattop Guitar (J-45 series).
Solid Adirondack Red Spruce top with traditional rosette, scalloped bracing, and vintage sunburst nitrocellulose lacquer hand-sprayed gloss finish.
Solid Mahogany sides and two-piece back.
Mahogany one-piece neck with period correct V profile, single action truss rod, compound dovetail joint, and hide glue adhesive.
Rosewood fingerboard with ¼” mother-of-pearl dot inlays.
1¾” nut width / 2 3/8” string spacing at saddle / 25" scale.
Rosewood bridge.
Bone bridge pins and end pin.
Bone nut and saddle.
Traditional AJ headstock with mother-of-pearl “Gibson” script and black truss rod cover.
Single ply top and back binding.
AJ “Firestripe” tortoise style pickguard.
Nickel Waverly vintage style open-geared tuners with 16:1 ratio.
Gibson hardshell case.
Light gauge strings.

Gibson built a limited run of 100 "Original Jumbo" Reissues in 2013 with much of the tone and feel of a 1930s era J-45 style guitar. This guitar and its case are in outstanding condition, and there are no playability issues of any kind.

Here is the information from the Gibson website:
http://www.gibson.com/Products/Acous...nal-Jumbo.aspx
Here is a link to a nice video of this model from Eddie’s Guitars:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctss79yMxE4
And a link to the NAMM show when this guitar was introduced:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P8bjDIgI0Y
This is a lightly built guitar that sounds woody and articulate, plays easily (action height is 6/64” and 4/64” at the 12th fret for the low E and high E strings, respectively), and has lots of volume and projection.

These guitars had a starting list price of $5999 in 2013 (as shown in the Gibson website link).

Price lowered again to $SOLD shipped in the continental USA if paid by check.

Please respond to [email protected] with questions or to request a sound clip.

No trade offers please.

Last edited by Martz911; 07-23-2017 at 10:55 AM.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:56 AM

That's not the original redline case - is that the right picture?
Old 06-18-2017, 09:57 AM

beautiful guitar, I bet it's wonderful. I wonder which previous owner scarfed the original case for the model when they passed it along. That's such a shame when people pull that. Good luck in the sale. A real beauty.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:08 PM
Charter Member

To gibfenderson and cozycabin:

Thanks for enlightening me about the case. I haven't owned a Gibson in many years prior to this one and was uneducated about what a "redline" case even is. I took the specs from the Gibson website for this guitar. The case pictures shown are correct for the one I received with this guitar, but I don't know what happened to the original redline case. However, my original post is now updated to reflect the standard "Gibson hardshell case".

Last edited by Martz911; 06-19-2017 at 07:44 AM.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

I have to weigh in on this one. It is the best Gibson I have played. The 1934 reissues in this run of 100 are hand made and it looks, feels, and plays like a quality hand made instrument. Very lightly built, not at all what I was expecting. The sunburst is top notch. I don't need to say much about the seller. If you've been around the AGF for more than five minutes, you already know Larry deals in strictly quality instruments and packs them as if they're going to be dropped from a plane!

If your looking for that traditional Gibson sound in spades, you can't go wrong here. My 2 cents.

P.S. I'm not the one who swapped the case. Though the case that comes with it is very good, I realized when I owned it, it was not the original.
Emerald X-20 Custom SS

Life's been good to me so far....

Last edited by Transylvania; 06-20-2017 at 11:13 AM.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:45 PM

I have a OJ now, you could see the redline case laid behind my OJ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-19-2017, 07:48 PM

Thanks for clarifying, Martz911. These are fantastic guitars! My understanding is that the redline case is a reproduction of the case of the period. The latches are interesting. Purple interior. Red line around the lid.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks for clarifying, Martz911. These are fantastic guitars! My understanding is that the redline case is a reproduction of the case of the period. The latches are interesting. Purple interior. Red line around the lid.
Thanks for the update, gibfenderson. And thanks to andytsaiabc for the picture. Now I know what a "Redline" case looks like. Is it structurally different or just cosmetically?
Old 06-19-2017, 08:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
If you've been around the AGF for more than five minutes, you already know Larry deals in strictly quality instrument and packs them as if they're going to be dropped from a plane!
Now, Frank, very few of my shipments are dropped from a plane. Now I use Amazon's drone service.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:29 PM

Smile :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martz911 View Post
Thanks for the update, gibfenderson. And thanks to andytsaiabc for the picture. Now I know what a "Redline" case looks like. Is it structurally different or just cosmetically?
Actually, I think the difference between both is just cosmetically. Sometimes I think the red line case isn't convenient because it can't lay down flat on the floor. But the red line has more collect value, here is a quote from the website
"Mid to high-end model guitars during the 1930's and early 1940's used a black case with a red line around the top edge of the case. The inside is a deep maroon color. Lower models used black rigid cardboard cases."
This is the best guitar I ever have, the seller always
regret selling it, the owner always satisfied with it.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:08 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the info, andytsaiabc. The acoustic guitar world gets more complicated every day.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martz911 View Post
To gibfenderson and cozycabin:

Thanks for enlightening me about the case. I haven't owned a Gibson in many years prior to this one and was uneducated about what a "redline" case even is. I took the specs from the Gibson website for this guitar. The case pictures shown are correct for the one I received with this guitar, but I don't know what happened to the original redline case. However, my original post is now updated to reflect the standard "Gibson hardshell case".
Just to clarify, I wouldn't even conceive Martz was pulling anything re: the case.
I just know these come with the cherry case that lame people lift and replace with standard fare or whatever, and was hanging my head that some predecessor thought more of himself than the sanctity of the special guitar. A lame move to be more pithy.
But fortunately for those of that inclination, it's not against the law to put yourself ahead of anything less beneficial to said self.

Still, a great representation of that model. Very tempting. Probably even more so to those with less guitars, more time, and no ukulele obsession....talking myself out of this. Best luck, again, super nice Gibson.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:17 PM
Charter Member

I am also a previous owner of this guitar. It is absolutely outstanding in every way. Very large and loud, but also really articulate sounding.

It didn't have the Red Line case when I received it either. The one that it has is fully functional however.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:17 PM

Darn, waiting on the sale of a similarly priced guitar and this is along the lines of what I was thinking about replacing it with. Have to see how it goes.

Good luck either way!
Old 07-11-2017, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

A few extra pictures of the Gibson:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars