The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-07-2012, 12:28 PM

Default Bone saddle convert

After preferring a tusq saddle for last couple of years (because I wanted a specific sharp attack and 'dynamic' type of sound) - I am now using a bone saddle.

Working on 'softer' tracks now - and after reading that bone 'rounded the trebles off' - I ordered a bone saddle a couple of days ago, and spent this afternoon filing/sanding/fitting.

So far... I'm really liking it - it definitely has softened the trebles, which is exactly what I'd hoped for. Already changed strings to Thomastik AC112 Silk/Steel not long ago. The bone saddle has completed the change.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:12 PM

Bone saddle and nut give unparrallel tone. Throw in ebony pins and you have a smooth sound all around.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:25 PM

Bone saddle made a nice change to my guitar from the stock plastic saddle

As for going for a bone nut from plastic ive heard a bone nut

doesnt make any difference at all..and anyhow i like the sound my guitar makes

now since i got the bone saddle
Old 07-07-2012, 03:22 PM

Chris, I have bone appointments on most of my guitars, both nuts and saddles. On most instruments that combination seems to sound best.

It depends on the individual guitar, though. I've had a few guitars where I've tried bone and not liked the effect, and gone back to a synthetic material for the saddle. Perhaps 90% of the time bone will sound the best on an acoustic guitar, but there's that remaining 10% where it can pay to experiment with other materials.

Nothing is automatic about any of this, and no one saddle material is always best in all situations.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 07-12-2012, 04:44 AM

Budsy, jpd and wade... yep, definitely a 'nicer' sound with the bone saddle.
I think with my Martin being well over 6 years old now it's 'opened up' and the new saddle brings it out even more.

The new sound is also inspiring me to compose more. The other great thing is - there's still a decent amount of attack on the notes so the older tracks still sound OK with the new saddle.

Overall - glad I made the change.

The only thing I haven't tried yet is listening to the recorded sound via the undersaddle pickup. I'm pretty sure it will be improved - be surprised if it isn't!
Old 07-12-2012, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisOMC15E View Post
...it definitely has softened the trebles
Hi chris...

I know we perceive things uniquely, and to my ear bone versus synthetic doesn't merely soften the trebles, but carves off the bitter edgy sound and leaves a full fat treble. I like the pure, creamy sound of a fat treble without bitterness or a biting edge.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 07-12-2012, 01:03 PM

I also changed my Taylor 414ce to a bone saddle and like it very much. The original stock Taylor saddle (.122 thick) was a little loose (even with no sanding) so I first fitted an oversize Tusq fully comp saddle (9280-CO) so as to have a fair comparison.

I made them exactly the same and switched back and forth repeatedly and get the same results as LJ and others have reported. Improved trebles, not just nicer but with more character. Also improved separation of the notes. They don't seem to blur together as much. Finally improved string balance in that the bass sounds louder and the trebles don't overpower as much. I'm not sure if the bass is louder or they simply have more definition and can be heard better in the mix.

In any case when I'm doing a comparison I can't bear to leave the Tusq in very long before I have to switch back to bone. I like it better. It makes me want to play more.

The Taylor 414 is a bright guitar and I would not say that the bone saddle mellowed it. It gave it more character and a little more sparkle and I have had to switch to slightly more mellow picks.... but it sounds way better to me. I don't do much fingerstyle but the added clarity of the bone definitely improved it's tone for that style of play. I will spend more time trying to learn it.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:15 PM

I just called Bob Colosi yesterday and ordered a bone saddle and pins, sooo I hope Ill be a happy customer soon

Dave
Old 07-12-2012, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

Hi Chris,

Glad you are happy with the bone saddle compared to Tusq. I have generally been happy with that trade myself, but you can never tell until you try it and see how it works. Glad it worked out for you!

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion