The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-31-2002, 04:05 PM

Cool another opinion please?

Firstly I would really like to thank those who gave me feedback on the smaller taylor I was looking at.. You guys were absolutely right and kept me from making a poor choice.....
So since the feed back was so good I am coming back for more!!
I am the Martin girl who was trying to make the leap. I flat pick and do a lot of blues.. lots of strumming. I have always been happy (very) with the Martin bottom end.. but I have not always loved the neck...
OK so this is what I found today and I need some feedback...
This is a Taylor 910, 1994 brand new. Rosewood and Engleman Spruce. What is your opion on this one?? I am a little apprehensive about all the fancy inlay but.. here is the deal with this one. It is out of a small guitar store that is no longer going to be carrying Taylors so they have greatly reduced the price and she wants 2k. So I think this is a great price but the question is.. would this be an appropriate model for a non finger picking .. heavy jamming person...
Thanks for the time and thought
Kalinka
Old 08-31-2002, 04:44 PM

Thumbs up

Hi Kalinka,

The 10 series dreadnaughts (as in your 910) are the guitars Taylor recommends for heavy strumming and flatpicking. I love my 310 - I play blues to blugrass, and can hit it hard without destroying the sound. It looks like you've found a great guitar at a great price!
Old 08-31-2002, 05:02 PM

I would say a 910 is about the ideal Taylor for flatpicking. It is kinda gaudy for my taste, but it shore sounds great.

Guitars improve with age. The older I get, the more I like them.
----------------
I gots me ....
some Martins
some Santa Cruzes
some Goodalls
some T*****s
Some other stuff
Old 08-31-2002, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by GSnyde
I would say a 910 is about the ideal Taylor for flatpicking. It is kinda gaudy for my taste, but it shore sounds great.

Yep that was my fear.. that inlay is really kind of over the top! (for my taste that is) Also I do this stupid thing on stage.. only when I am on stage.. I start to think about what I am gonna do next and suddenly I have no idea what I am going to do next .. thinking while performing is a terrible idea. I dont know how I can let go of my dots. Its a crutch. Its completely idiotic but when I panic I need my dots! LOL
Old 08-31-2002, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kalinka
I can let go of my dots. Its a crutch. Its completely idiotic but when I panic I need my dots! LOL
I can see what you mean, although it's not something I would have thought about with the posibility of snagging a 910 for that kind of money.

Are there any Dots on the side of the fretboard? Heck if there aren't take a small drill-bit and HAND-drill (no power please) dot-holes and stick some white nail polish in 'em!!! (and no -- I am not kidding!)

Have you bought that thing yet??? Where is that music store???? Tell me, Tell meeee -- arrrrgggghhhhhhh -- it's another TAS attack!!!

'03 714CE-LTD -- '92 K22CE -- '95 PRS
Old 08-31-2002, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DickensDad
I can see what you mean, although it's not something I would have thought about with the posibility of snagging a 910 for that kind of money.

Have you bought that thing yet??? Where is that music store???? Tell me, Tell meeee -- arrrrgggghhhhhhh -- it's another TAS attack!!!
Its a very small and cool guitar store and recording studio in Florida. It seems that all the little stores are unable to move enough taylors per year and apparently this company has some sort of quota to be filled. This store does not have a lot of traffic and just does not move them fast enough so they are no longer going to be a Taylor Dealer... so they are letting them all go like this. They now are carrying Huss and Dalton.. nice guitars.
Anyway I just priced this 1994 and it seems to be worth 4k! I think I will have to get it. I will get used to the insane inlay, simply remember that the riff starts on the 3 flower petal down if I get stuck.! LOL
Old 08-31-2002, 08:23 PM
Nichols Custom Inlay

That is a Great price for a new 1994 910.
You MUST buy it!
Old 08-31-2002, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kalinka

Its a very small and cool guitar store and recording studio in Florida.....
Oh NOOOOOOOO -- where in Florida -- please tell me -- NO don't tell me -- Yes, TELL ME.... It's not near Cocoa Beach is it???? Tell me -- NO don't tell me -- Yes, TELL ME.... NO don't tell me -- Yes, TELL ME.... NO don't tell me -- YES, TELL ME....

Well, you get the idea... Buy that thing -- NOW! Tonite!

'03 714CE-LTD -- '92 K22CE -- '95 PRS
Old 08-31-2002, 09:20 PM

The price is too good to pass up. Buy it now. If you don't like the appointments, sell it for a profit and buy a 710. Same woods more or less. Same big Taylor sound. A win/win for sure.
Old 09-01-2002, 06:01 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Hi! The 910 should sound great for you. That's a great price as well. By the way, the first Taylor I saw in person was Amy Grant's 912ce. The pretty inlay looks great and fits a lady well. Maybe you can cross-train to the inlay...

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 09-01-2002, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Womack
The pretty inlay looks great and fits a lady well. Maybe you can cross-train to the inlay...

Bob
Hey some of us guys like the Cindy inlay. JW
Old 09-01-2002, 06:33 AM

kalinka,

A couple comments regarding the 910. I don't profess to having played that particular model, but perhaps I can offer some input in a more general sense that can be helpful.

First, you say the mom and pop store is offering the 'new' guitar for 2k. Regarding price, an item is worth 'only' what someone is willing to pay for it. List price, sentimental value and perceived worth have no bearing. I

checked Ebay - it's the best barometer to see what people are actually willing to pay. There was a '97 that was being offered as 'sold' for 2k. Another was getting only about $1600 in bids (from an older 'closed' auction, if I remember correctly). I don't recall the year on that guitar.

I understand that the guitar in question is a '94 in new condition. Whether a '94 would be deemed more valuable than a '97 may be subjective unless there is an important value issue regarding the '94.

You mentioned the word 'new' - as in brand new. Am I to understand that the store has not sold this guitar since '94 and is, indeed, in pristine condition..or has it in fact been used and just looks as new?

I see the picture of the neck ornamentation. I, too, like my guitar simple. I see your quagmire. It does 'appear' to have at least side dots, but i'm not sure about that. Anyhoo, the ornamentation is something you will see everyday...it's nice to be emotional about your guitar...all of it, and not have the experience ruined by something that turns you off.

I suppose my bottom line is thus: If you like the sound of the guitar, can't live without it, and can afford it - consider getting it. I would not, however, rely on the price alone as the main impetus for two reasons.

1) You are spending a lot of money no matter how you slice it, you need to be happy with your purchase (guitar) not just the 'deal'.

2) I find the market value of the guitar rather suspect when the figure 4k is thrown around. While it may be worth that to someone, it is immaterial to your situation. Not to belabor, but Ebay, as an example, shows that 2k is about what people are willing to pay.

Regadless, if you decide to purchase, I would ask the store to do a little better (include sales tax, for example). They are probably wonderful people, but I trust no one to do me a 'favor' in a retail store.

Good luck, hope this was helpful.
1999 Stuffed Bear (not technically musical, but part of the family)
'69 Dog Whistle
Old 09-01-2002, 07:16 AM

Wow, I wish I could see that thing. If I liked the way it played, it would be a dream for me! Its a '94 910 - no CE? My dream Taylor!

I even like the fact that it is an older, pre-NT neck... makes me kinda sad that you would buy it and not be just completetly digging that gorgeous inlay.... but then again, I am just jealous....
Old 09-01-2002, 09:06 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by obrother
[B]kalinka,

You mentioned the word 'new' - as in brand new. Am I to understand that the store has not sold this guitar since '94 and is, indeed, in pristine condition..or has it in fact been used and just looks as new?

I see the picture of the neck ornamentation. I, too, like my guitar simple. I see your quagmire. It does 'appear' to have at least side dots, but i'm not sure about that. Anyhoo, the ornamentation is something you will see everyday...it's nice to be emotional about your guitar...all of it, and not have the experience ruined by something that turns you off.

Ya this guitar is brand new... It was the very first taylor that they ever got back in 1994. I have no idea why it never sold. Maybe the price.. I dont know. This is the second shop in the area that is discounting Taylors like this. The only thing wrong with it is that someone jerk got on it and played hard on it and put a ding in it as there is no pick guard... I would put a clear pick guard on it before even touching it.
The people who own the shop are fellow musicians and friends so I know that they would never pull a fast one and sell a used instrument as new.

As far as the inlay... I like a simple guitar too.. but I can not deny that this one is very beautiful. Almost too beautiful. It looks expensive, like you better be a hot player to be on this guitar.

There are side dots on the neck but I am afraid that I rely on the dots on the finger board, especially when I am playing lead. I guess that is lame after playing for 15 years huh? That is the biggest thing in my way here.. I am going back on tuesday and see if i can work with that. Maybe the inlay actually patterns in similar way and I can find my way around it.

Kalinka
Old 09-01-2002, 09:16 AM

The markers on the Cindy 9xx are at the same frets as the ones with dots (except past the 14th fret) ... now, a with a PS, you do have to rely on the side markers ... I know the first time I played mine I had alot of problems ... even with tuning using the 4th and 5th frets!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification