The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 01-09-2005, 12:57 AM
In The Pocket

I started playing when I was around 12 or so... I took some lessons for a few years and then played with some other guys while I was a kid... When I went to college I pretty much stopped playing, as I was not progressing, and did not feel like I was good enough to play in front of others very much. I am now 40...

In the past few years I started playing again, first with friends - getting together to play some praise and worship stuff, then in an organized praise band at my church, and now for the past year, while still helping to lead worship at church, I have joined the Christian band NarroPath We are now working on writing and recording our second CD. You can hear the music and buy CDs on the site.

I am an average guitar player. I have a good sense of rhythm and can get in the groove pretty well. I can find the pocket and play consistant, solid rhythm - which a lot of guitar players that are really technically better than myself have a hard time doing well. Technically I am pretty weak. I do not know a lot of things that I wish I did. I am not a lead player, although I lay down a few easy licks when pressed.

I do play some open, non-traditional chords, and have fun working out cool progressions. Lately I have been offering up some ideas, writing music and lyrics for our latest effort.

We'll see how they pan out...

My claim to fame so far is that we opened up for Jars of Clay...

- Devin
Isaiah 38:20
---------------------
Devin @ MySpace
Devin's Guitars
Old 01-09-2005, 06:05 PM

Self taught. Always had an ear for melody. But what really made me pick up the guitar at age 8 or 9 was the desire to play the melodies of the songs that interested me. Hence,43 years later, I'm still doing it. It's pure escape for me. I see myself as an advanced beginner leaning toward intermediate.Truly ,the best part is that the older I get the more fun I seem to have and I cannot explain why.
'69 Les Paul Deluxe
Old 01-09-2005, 06:16 PM
Musical minimalist

the summer that I was 14.....I started on a Stella by Harmony (cherry sunburst plywoood)that my brother had from taking one or two lessons when he was younger......the neck looked like a banana, the strings were rusty (I think it actually had been left out in the rain once or twice) I played it for a few months until my parents saw that I was going to stick with it, then I got an Applause (the one with the aluminum neck and frets.....all one piece) from Elderly's when they were in their first storefront. For my birthday the next year I got an Aspen maple strat copy (actually not too bad) That was in '76 and '77, and yes, I am MUCH better now!! (LOL)

Old 01-09-2005, 06:18 PM

I start last year at age 41. I am learning fingestyle with Mark Hansons Travis Style book currently.

wayne
Old 01-09-2005, 08:38 PM

12 yrs. old when I started...way back in 1969.

I should be alot better for as long as I've been playing! I guess I'd rate myself in the beginning of the intermediate class now, although I still have a long way to go. I primarily am a flatpicker along with alot of rhythm strumming/accompaniment with some lead once in a while. I play mostly Folk, Old Time, Bluegrass, Traditional Gospel, and contemporary Praise.

Jeff
Old 01-09-2005, 11:28 PM

I picked up the guitar over Summer 2003 when I was 16. Lucky for me, I've been able to find a good amount of time each day to practice so I've gotten to a point that I didn't think I'd be at back then. I still love playing songs and jamming, and that inspires me so I think I'll play 'til the day I die. I don't have a clue where I'd rate though. Good enough to make non-musicians believe I'm really good, I guess. Ha.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:01 AM

Default I WIN! -

I started when I was 44 and am now 48. I started in self dense so I could know what my guitar players had to do in my Church Ministry Setting. I practiced so much my family just about threw me away. I am much better now and love every moment I play. Believe it or not my parents didn't want me to play when I was a child becuase all those "hippies" played the guitar.

rcase1957
Old 01-10-2005, 12:18 PM

Talking

I was 10,that was 35 years ago,I can do more than G C or D,I can now do an E...........

The Guitars:

2005 Gibson Howard Roberts Fusion 3

@ STOLEN @ 1980 Gibson Howard Roberts Fusion - Serial # 83010043
@ STOLEN @ 2002 814ce LTD - Serial # 20020930110

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

http://bobbyfromnc.blogspot.com/

John 3.16
Old 01-10-2005, 02:53 PM

I was 16. I am nowhere near as good as I ought to be by now. Okay, I'm lousy.
Old 01-10-2005, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1
the summer that I was 14.....I started on a Stella by Harmony (cherry sunburst plywoood)that my brother had from taking one or two lessons when he was younger......the neck looked like a banana, the strings were rusty (I think it actually had been left out in the rain once or twice) I played it for a few months until my parents saw that I was going to stick with it, then I got an Applause (the one with the aluminum neck and frets.....all one piece) from Elderly's when they were in their first storefront. For my birthday the next year I got an Aspen maple strat copy (actually not too bad) That was in '76 and '77, and yes, I am MUCH better now!! (LOL)
Yes, Cherry sunburst harmony Stella, now THERE's a blast from my past. Mine actually played very easy and stayed in tune real well. I learned a lot on that little guitar. Haven't learned much in the 35 or so years since but by golly my equipment's better now.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:14 PM

15 and then again at 45. It didn't take the first time
no real plan of practice or action. I've been at it now only
4 years but love it more each day.

Like the eldest Darling family member said on the old Andy Griffith show

"You got time to breathe, You got time for music"

TK
Old 01-11-2005, 10:31 PM

Question

9-Got a little Harmony,I think it was,with nylon strings.
It was maroon and black with an electric guitar style headstock,pretty cool for a nine year old.

Iv'e been playing for some 30+ years,and I always compare myself to all the greats Iv'e ever heard-Leo Kottkey,Doc Watson,Blind Lemmon Jefferson,Jimi,Clapton,and numerous others.(I havn't had the pleasure of hearing any of you guys yet.)
So basically I stink,be it gives me something to shoot for!
Old 01-11-2005, 10:35 PM

Well i am 21 one and just ordered my first guitar so hopefully i will love it and stick with it like many of you have
Old 01-11-2005, 11:10 PM

14 was when I was motivated to play guitar; its been 2 years since then, and im flourishing~

aLbie
Old 01-23-2005, 02:08 PM

My brother's guitar was there and my brother stopped playing. I was 11. I started classical lessons "if you can play sheet music, you can always learn how to play anything you want" (yeah, right!!) A teacher at school tought me the first chords, and with these three chords I wrote my first song. I had two guitar teachers after that, until I was 17. Then I quit guitar lessons, and started taking singing more seriously. My guitar technique evolved with my singing and my interests, and I finished my education in 1997 being a professional singer and vocal coach. The guitar is my foundation, my small world can be measured with the neck of a guitar. I am 39 now, and I am still enjoying all the hours I practice to learn new stuff. Right now i am trying to find my way on my spanking new Lakewood in standard tuning and in DADGAD tuning (yes I do have a chord chart, and no I do not want to use it, I do try to figure out all the chords by myself, so that way I know exactly what notes I hit. Must be my theoretical background I guess) and I try to play now with a thumbpick. Scary!!!!

interested in my songs? surf to www.vocalfons.com there's plenty of sound samples there

Last edited by villevelle; 01-24-2005 at 05:54 PM. Reason: wrong tuning info: dadgae must be dadgad

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell