The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-17-2018, 08:05 AM

Default Best Fitness Tracker under $150

So I can't make up my mind. Do I go simple like the Garmin Vivofit 3 for $60, or the Samsung Gear Fit 3 for $150? What do you think is the best tracker for the money?
Old 01-17-2018, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
So I can't make up my mind. Do I go simple like the Garmin Vivofit 3 for $60, or the Samsung Gear Fit 3 for $150? What do you think is the best tracker for the money?
I'll say that it depends on what want or require.

You don't need much or might not need more than your cel phone if it's just a basic nudge and simple way to watch that you're doing enough movement.

I have some observations and collaboration with this technology via my circle of associates that includes some some special special such as athletes and people dealing with serious life chances such as weight loss and recovery from cancer and injuries.

One for sure thing is importance of heart rate monitor. A lot of people don't need more than their cel phone if they don't go with a heart rate monitor.

A few associates claim the Samsung phone paired with their fitness products makes a difference or is all important.

Some training systems make the device you use matter or if not require you to use certain apps on your phone.

Garmins are really good overall and as a brand but friends with their watches and trackers do gripe about size or not always looking so nice the way an Android Wear or Apple Watch is.

A few chronic tinkerer and switchers I know point out that some purchase have been dead ends where they'll still use a first generation Apple Watch with updated software.

On the whole if you have an iPhone it is hard to beat an Apple Watch whether that's getting a bargain or the latest.

Now that it's easy and inexpensive to have a comfortable and reliable heart rate monitor I have a hard time suggesting anything but that if you really want results, performance and accuracy.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
I'll say that it depends on what want or require.

You don't need much or might not need more than your cel phone if it's just a basic nudge and simple way to watch that you're doing enough movement.

I have some observations and collaboration with this technology via my circle of associates that includes some some special special such as athletes and people dealing with serious life chances such as weight loss and recovery from cancer and injuries.

One for sure thing is importance of heart rate monitor. A lot of people don't need more than their cel phone if they don't go with a heart rate monitor.

A few associates claim the Samsung phone paired with their fitness products makes a difference or is all important.

Some training systems make the device you use matter or if not require you to use certain apps on your phone.

Garmins are really good overall and as a brand but friends with their watches and trackers do gripe about size or not always looking so nice the way an Android Wear or Apple Watch is.

A few chronic tinkerer and switchers I know point out that some purchase have been dead ends where they'll still use a first generation Apple Watch with updated software.

On the whole if you have an iPhone it is hard to beat an Apple Watch whether that's getting a bargain or the latest.

Now that it's easy and inexpensive to have a comfortable and reliable heart rate monitor I have a hard time suggesting anything but that if you really want results, performance and accuracy.
Good post. I found a Garmin Vivosmart HR for $78... good deal I think. I really just want a heart rate monitor and to know if I get a notification while jogging.

I have a G Shock I've been wearing to work, but it's big and uncomfortable. I like the small form factor of trackers.

Last edited by Shades of Blue; 01-17-2018 at 09:13 AM.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:22 AM

Lots of choices. I've never seen anyone review more fitness trackers than Rizzo https://www.youtube.com/user/OnwardA...?query=fitness
Old 01-17-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song View Post
Lots of choices. I've never seen anyone review more fitness trackers than Rizzo https://www.youtube.com/user/OnwardA...?query=fitness
Yeah I like Rizzo. He does a good job. I just bought the Garmin Vivosmart HR for $78 on Amazon. Cheap, and gives me HR and notifications.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:09 AM
AGF Sponsor

I used the Vivofit 2 with HR monitor for a couple years. It worked great, linked to all the apps I used, and I liked it a lot. I kept breaking the bands though. 6 months would wear one out though I never took it off. For Christmas my wife got the Fitbit Charge 2 for me. It’s ok, but I replaced the battery once in two years on the Vivofit. The Charge 2 has to be taken off for every shower (ugh) and charged about every four days. It makes me think buying new bands every six months wasn’t so bad.

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 01-17-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Good post. I found a Garmin Vivosmart HR for $78... good deal I think. I really just want a heart rate monitor and to know if I get a notification while jogging.

I have a G Shock I've been wearing to work, but it's big and uncomfortable. I like the small form factor of trackers.
If you carry a phone while jogging the arm (or chest if you can put up with it) heart rate monitors will work with the phone that by itself does a lot for fitness tracking. Many good apps add the bluetooth HRMs.

The right watches will connect to the chest or arm HRMs I mentioned.

What phone platform you use will narrow this down. As in we might only want to be discussing something best for Android or an iPhone.

One more to consider is privacy. Some solutions are better than others.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
If you carry a phone while jogging the arm (or chest if you can put up with it) heart rate monitors will work with the phone that by itself does a lot for fitness tracking. Many good apps add the bluetooth HRMs.

The right watches will connect to the chest or arm HRMs I mentioned.

What phone platform you use will narrow this down. As in we might only want to be discussing something best for Android or an iPhone.

One more to consider is privacy. Some solutions are better than others.
You know, I didn't even realize this was an option. I'm not a huge fitness person, but do run on a treadmill 4 times a week, and when the weather is nice, I take a couple jogs on the weekends, but nothing ever gets over 2 miles.

I have an iPhone 8 Plus
Old 01-17-2018, 06:11 PM

For me its a belt. Check the notches.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:33 PM

The best tracker (for the money) is simply my attention and memory.
OH ... I hear they still make pens and paper too.

I'll bet those so-called "fitness trackers" cost less than a buck to make.
Someone's laughing all the way to the bank.

Now you kids get off my lawn.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post

That’s funny!

So I canceled my order for the Vivosmart HR. Decided to look at the Fitbit Charge 2 ($109) and Garmin VivoActive HR ($150). Love decisions lol
Old 01-19-2018, 09:00 AM
AGF Sponsor

I’m about a month in to my switch to the Fitbit Charge 2. It’s pretty nice, though I don’t feel it’s quite as good at picking up every step like the Garmin. I would like to get one for my wife though. Do you really see it for $109 somewhere? Every place I look it’s $149.

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 01-19-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post

I’m with Tico. Just a lot of fluff. It’s simple math. Burn more calories than you eat. Paper and pen.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
That’s funny!

So I canceled my order for the Vivosmart HR. Decided to look at the Fitbit Charge 2 ($109) and Garmin VivoActive HR ($150). Love decisions lol
Love my Charge 2 that I've had for 6 months now. I wear it all day and night. Very comfortable and find that only needs to be recharged about 1 x per week with an automatic reminder on my phone when it's low.

If you play it right the first time, it's not hard enough.

Breedlove Exotic CM Classic E: Red Cedar/Black Walnut
Bedell Angelica Bellissima Parlor: Sunken Cedar/EIR
Breedlove Crossover OO Mandolin: Sitka/Maple
Old 01-19-2018, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacluth View Post
I’m about a month in to my switch to the Fitbit Charge 2. It’s pretty nice, though I don’t feel it’s quite as good at picking up every step like the Garmin. I would like to get one for my wife though. Do you really see it for $109 somewhere? Every place I look it’s $149.
Same here. Where is it for $109? I'm ready to buy at that price.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic