The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-16-2018, 09:43 AM

Default Let's Talk Watches...What do you wear???

Ok, so I have never been a watch guy, but recently I picked up the Apple Watch. After 6 months of use, I have totally become a watch guy, but I sold it because I didn't think it was really worth the money, and I just got the feeling it was fragile. I didn't want to wear it to the gun range, or working outside.

Now that I am a few weeks removed from the Apple Watch, I have purchased 2 watches, a Fossil Chrono and a G Shock Military style watch.

I do miss some of the features of the Apple watch like heart rate monitoring and being able to see the weather and temperature...but that's really it.

So my question is, what are you guys wearing, and do you feel you need anything more than time and maybe a stopwatch for a run?

My plan is for my Fossil to be my nice watch, and my G Shock will be my everyday watch. I really just miss weather, temp, and heart rate. Should I just shut up and be manly and wear real watches?

Old 01-16-2018, 09:55 AM

One of the following:

1970 Omega Speedmaster "Moon Watch"

1985 Rolex Datejust

1985 Rolex GMT Master

2000 LL Bean quartz electric

https://imgur.com/a/7hpI2

Last edited by 6L6; 01-24-2018 at 10:28 AM.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:58 AM

I have a newer Daniel Wellington with the interchangeable "nato" straps...kinda nice, I can match my watch to whatever I'm wearing usually.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 01-16-2018, 10:00 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I'm not much into the Apple watch. My friends who have them are constantly interrupting discussions by reading messages on theirs. That's a two-edged sword: they aren't listening when they read the messages and it looks like they are in a rush and watching the time.

I'm one of those guys who likes a watch. My dad got me hooked on chronographs and specifically on Seikos so I've basically had them ever since I graduated high school. I wore a 7a29 7039 quartz chrono for over twenty years. They were the first Seiko quartz chrono and were darned near unbreakable. My wife recently bought me a Seiko SSC229.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-16-2018, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

I'm a watch guy. I have a few Rolex, Omegas, and others.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

Old 01-16-2018, 10:23 AM

Got out of the habit of wearing a watch for a long time. Picked it back up recently when I got a Pulsar as a retirement watch.

I used to wear my father's old Gruen day/date. Its probably the best I have, 18K case and Swiss works.

Old 01-16-2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
You know, I admit, I was this way my entire life. Now, at 32 I understand the allure of watches. For me it is a very personal "style" accessory and it is actually EXTREMELY useful to be able to tell time without digging into my tight pocket to pull out my monstrous iPhone 8 Plus.

I can feel a watch obsession brewing deep within me. Not necessarily after expensive watches, but I could definitely see myself owning several to wear for different occasions.

Still, as a man on a journey to lose weight (16 lbs so far since November) I do miss the activity tracking. However, the phone does that so I'm only giving up heart rate monitoring.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:36 AM

I still have mine and my father's Seiko Day/Date watches from the '80s/'90s, and I have my father's old Nivada Antarctic watch. For the past few years now, I have been alternating between two ORIS watches, a Big Crown ProPilot Day/Date, and an Artix GT Chronograph.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
You know, I admit, I was this way my entire life. Now, at 32 I understand the allure of watches. For me it is a very personal "style" accessory and it is actually EXTREMELY useful to be able to tell time without digging into my tight pocket to pull out my monstrous iPhone 8 Plus.

I can feel a watch obsession brewing deep within me. Not necessarily after expensive watches, but I could definitely see myself owning several to wear for different occasions.

Still, as a man on a journey to lose weight (16 lbs so far since November) I do miss the activity tracking. However, the phone does that so I'm only giving up heart rate monitoring.
At 50 I'm kind of the opposite–I used to wear one all the time and have a nice TAG Heuer, but I rarely wear it anymore. There are clocks and watches everwhere, my car, every device, home, work...

When I am away from it all surfing, skiing, or riding I don't care much what time it is.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
At 50 I'm kind of the opposite–I used to wear one all the time and have a nice TAG Heuer, but I rarely wear it anymore. There are clocks and watches everwhere, my car, every device, home, work...

When I am away from it all surfing, skiing, or riding I don't care much what time it is.
haha great point! I guess I'm just enjoying the allure of wearing one. But you are so right on that!
Old 01-16-2018, 10:53 AM
Musical minimalist

Never been able to stand any jewelry or watches hanging on me.

Haven't had a watch in over 30 years and now, as Dirk said, if I need to know, my cell is always handy (albeit a flip phone)

Old 01-16-2018, 10:55 AM

Scurfa Diver One Stainless - sapphire crystal, stainless band, quartz, ceramic bezel

I like quartz for accuracy, and I like the idea of an ultrasonic rate of vibration.

I never take the watch off unless working on the car, or with abrasive or harsh chemicals, so I like the comfortable band.

I like the rotating bezel, for timing.

I like the waterproof feature, so it doesn't have to be removed to avoid water.

Doesn't show in these photos, but there is an anti-reflective coating on the inside of the crystal that often gives a blue color which I find attractive, even though the face and bezel are black.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Blake View Post
Scurfa Diver One Stainless - sapphire crystal, stainless band, quartz, ceramic bezel

I like quartz for accuracy, and I like the idea of an ultrasonic rate of vibration.

I never take the watch off unless working on the car, or with abrasive or harsh chemicals, so I like the comfortable band.

I like the rotating bezel, for timing.

I like the waterproof feature, so it doesn't have to be removed to avoid water.

Doesn't show in these photos, but there is an anti-reflective coating on the inside of the crystal that often gives a blue color which I find attractive, even though the face and bezel are black.
that looks sweet! I'd like to find a comfortable metal band, but they always pinch my hair haha.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
Ok, so I have never been a watch guy, but recently I picked up the Apple Watch. After 6 months of use, I have totally become a watch guy, but I sold it because I didn't think it was really worth the money, and I just got the feeling it was fragile. I didn't want to wear it to the gun range, or working outside.

Now that I am a few weeks removed from the Apple Watch, I have purchased 2 watches, a Fossil Chrono and a G Shock Military style watch.

I do miss some of the features of the Apple watch like heart rate monitoring and being able to see the weather and temperature...but that's really it.

So my question is, what are you guys wearing, and do you feel you need anything more than time and maybe a stopwatch for a run?

My plan is for my Fossil to be my nice watch, and my G Shock will be my everyday watch. I really just miss weather, temp, and heart rate. Should I just shut up and be manly and wear real watches?
Interesting because I never thought I'd like the Apple Watch, and my wife only liked my Rolex for novelty or utility. At a year+ we're more than sold on the Apple Watch benefits as well as the durability and reliability.

I have some fine Swiss watches and an antique Bulova but wear the Apple Watch all the time.

The Apple Watch has been a super tool to help with my work, fitness, and sports performance.

The not thinking it's reliable or durable are especially puzzling. They're sports and work tools that take a beating by many I know and millions of others. I wish a whole lot of sports electronics I've owned in the past were as reliable. It's held up to salt water use in addition to the jarring use and dirt from trail building and MTB riding.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic