The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-07-2018, 01:15 AM

Default Journey RT660

I haven't noticed any comments on here about the new Journey RT model, has anyone gotten one or had a chance to play one? Looks like a nice body shape and size, although it doesn't have the removable neck. Kind of reminds me of the Lucky 13.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:40 AM
Charter Member

If I hadn't gone the custom Emerald route this would have been my next choice. I base this on the OF660 I had which was great. I loved the amplified tone of the OF660 and the neck shape. I know the pick up is the same so assuming the neck shape is the same as well I'll bet it's even better with the slightly larger body. I'm interested as well what people who have actually tried one or own one think.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:59 AM

Hi guys, I goggled that geetar just now for a li’l’ look see and it led , inter alia, to this older thread :
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=479638
Which offers some answers.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
Hi guys, I goggled that geetar just now for a li’l’ look see and it led , inter alia, to this older thread :
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=479638
Which offers some answers.
Yes, I remember reading this thread now. I was surprised that Ted said he liked the OF660 tone a little better as I really didn't like my OF660 unplugged tone. I do like that he said it was lightly built and smaller, like 00 body. It would be a great couch guitar or something to take out on the road if you didn't need the foldup neck for plane travel.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

I had both RT660 models for a couple days but sent them back for various reasons. One reason being the neck was just a tad too wide for me. They sound very good. Great carbon tone. They are not the loudest carbon guitars out there but they are probably the most comfortable carbon guitar I have played.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:09 AM

So no glowing reviews I guess , I would like a small one for the rv travel, don't want a Emerald so was down to Rainsong parlor and spotted this model. It says they are cf reinforced with fiberglass??
Same old deal with cf guitars no place to try them in Or. and I hate all the shipping back and forth not to mention shipping is getting Way out of hand on cost.
The Savoy looks like the best all around deal but so expensive I am unwilling to get one just for travel use. Back to the beginning, I liked my Rainsong APLE but needed tweaking to play right, I figure if I go the parlor route may be the same.
Just keep lurking the used stuff for a while and see what pops up. I was considering a BB Rider but it's such an unknown and unusual shape. I notice when they go up for sale they take a very long time to sell which tells me they are not that popular.
Very hard to get a feel for tone on you tube, the Journey sounded fantastic on there but who knows how it was enhanced or recorded...
Old 01-07-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
So no glowing reviews I guess , I would like a small one for the rv travel, don't want a Emerald so was down to Rainsong parlor and spotted this model. It says they are cf reinforced with fiberglass??
Same old deal with cf guitars -- no place to try them in Or..... I was considering a BB Rider but it's such an unknown and unusual shape. I notice when they go up for sale they take a very long time to sell which tells me they are not that popular....
Since you plan to go RV traveling anyway, this sounds like a good way to visit stores and do some shopping. Just thinking out loud. May be worth some trip planning......

The Blackbird Rider is an unconventional shape, which may affect how quickly they sell used. But they sound quite good and play very well, and nothing can beat them for portability and durability while still having a good tone. With either a strap or a Neck-Up device, they are easy to hold as well. And Blackbird has recently stopped making their CF instruments, converting over to only eKoa now. The may be an eKoa version someday, but I would not hold my breath on that.

Savoy is not inexpensive, but many here find it is far more than "just" a compact travel guitar. It can replace many of their current guitars for comfort, tone and playability -- and even be an "only" guitar for some players.
Old 01-07-2018, 12:10 PM

I agree the Savoy looks like a real winner in every way but to spendy for a work tool used in this way, I need utility but also want something that I can play in an acoustic setting while traveling. We Seldom are in a populated area when we are out, and we avoid cities, Eugene is the largest for us and it's really quite small. Oregon for some reason just isn't a place to find cf guitars, don't know why. Not even in Portland a place I avoid but would be willing to travel to if there were some but none....
Like I said I will most likely lurk in the used classified for a while see what comes up. The Journey seemed possible because of the price, reasonable, but I also realize it's made in China not the US so that accounts for cost. I don't expect a guitar that costs 1200 to equal my customs at five times the cost but don't want a tin can sounding thing either. I like a strong bottom and a not brittle high end more warm or dark sounding, some of the carbon can be cutting to the ears on the treble side. I think the McPherson would be a real winner if not for the real short scale, that killed it for me. Same with X7. Rainsong has the best scale imo.
If I start thinking RS again I will contact Ted as he's always up front on my list.

Last edited by JerryM; 01-07-2018 at 01:52 PM.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:55 PM
Charter Member

Rainsongs have a dominant treble side. I would suggest a cargo or the RT660 based on the description of what sound you prefer. The McPherson Touring is awesome. It just needs med strings to sound right. I personally don’t think light strings work on that guitar. I have owned the B.B. rider and I own a B.B. savoy. Savoy takes the cake and I wish I never sold the rider. The RT660 would be a outstanding travel companion and you can not beat the price. Even though they are made in China the journey instruments are exceptional. Call ted.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:19 AM

Ted, if your on here today,,, which of the Journeys the of or rt would be the most practical in terms of tone and playability, obviously the breakdown model would be the most compact I know. Just looking for your opinion as your the only one I know of that has both and has played both.
Value your opinion as I am considering one......thanks
Old 01-09-2018, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Ted, if your on here today,,, which of the Journeys the of or rt would be the most practical in terms of tone and playability, obviously the breakdown model would be the most compact I know. Just looking for your opinion as your the only one I know of that has both and has played both.
Here's what Ted had to say about the RT660 compared to the OF660 in a previous thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Hey guys,

Yes, I do have one, and I prefer the tone to my OF660. The difference is that the OF660 sounds warmer, something CF newbies might prefer, but I prefer the cleaner tone of the RT660, which seems to be lighter built, so more responsive, which works for me as I mostly play fingerstyle.

As to the difference between the RT660 and the Rainsong Shorty, or the new CH-OM1100NS, I think most folks will find that the Rainsong has a more refined voice, with cleaner bass response, and better note separation. Course the RT660 does have a beautifully contoured body, and it's a bit smaller, more of a 00 than a 000/OM like the Rainsong, so it's a joy to play, and hold, and easier to pack on a plane for sure. The Rainsong is the size of a Taylor Grand Concert 12-fret, and the RT6600 is about the size of the Taylor GS Mini, so it really comes down to personal preference. The safest option will be to buy one of each.
Old 01-09-2018, 12:18 PM

Thanks,,Jim
Old 01-09-2018, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Hi Jerry,

The most versatile will be the RT660. Small, and light enough to be quite travel friendly, but big enough to feel more like a standard size guitar. While the OF660 does sound warmer, those of us who have acclimated to the CF tone will find the tone of the RT660 quite pleasant.

Last edited by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales; 01-09-2018 at 03:11 PM.
Old 01-09-2018, 04:05 PM

Thanks Ted, it looks like a nice compromise, has the longer scale and the contoured body looks nice. Also give them credit for a great gig bag very imaginative. It's in a price range that doesn't break the bank to.
Just have not been able other than Music Villa been able to find much in the way of reviews, ton of them on the breakdown model.
Doesn't seem like they get much exposure yet, I didn't even know about them until I stumbled on a u tube video.
Old 02-23-2018, 01:10 AM

Hey Guys, were starting to get more videos of these out there.

Here's two recent videos. The first is an independent demo. The second is a jam session at our booth with the sound running through a Henrickson Bud amp - the amp colors the tone a tad, but the overal balance can be heard.

1950s Martin Baritone Uke
A prototype of something you're likely to drool over.

9 yr old boy learning drums, 5 yr old girl who likes to groove with the beat, a music-loving toddler, 1 patient and amazing wife.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber