The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-21-2017, 08:00 AM

Not trying to be too much of a fanboy because I own both brands.

The Collings sounds absolutely perfect in every way. If you decide to sell it I hope it goes to another great player who will appreciate and play it to death.

I have to say I'm not a fan of the Andy Powers sound. Your Taylor has a mid bass boost that makes it sound like the loudness comp is turned on. Thanks for the comparison, it's a perfect example of the new un-natural Taylor sound.

Of course, this is just my opinion and most others will disagree.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:13 AM
AGF Sponsor

Hi Groberts. If you have to sell for financial or practical reasons, then yes, you should sell the Collings as it doesn't work as well for your playing style without the cutaway. BUT, clearly you have a fondness for it, and it sure would be nice to keep one mahogany backed guitar to add variety to your arsenal.

Listening to your videos, I think the Collings sounds wonderful, and I slightly prefer it to the Taylor. But honestly, they both sound great. Tough decision, and I don't envy you having to make it...
Old 07-21-2017, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

First...love the song "Can't Find My Way Home" in drop D. Both sound good but I'm a little partial to the OM1A. Nice job!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 07-21-2017, 08:31 AM
Charter Member

Nice playing OP, listening audiences would love the tone of either guitar. Our forum audience is more critical for better or worse.

I have a 2014 812ce 12 fret in addition to my OM1A. I split my time about 60/40 between solo fingerstyle and flatpicking. My experience is as follows.

Unplugged, playing solo fingerstyle arrangements the OM1A sounds better because IMO the Adi top and hog back and sides are perfect for giving the guitar a "singer's" voice. The 812 is very good but seems subdued in comparison but it never sounds muffled or muddy to my ears. If I play a fingerstyle accompanying piece with a vocal, the 812 can be the better fit. Flatpicking it's close because I think the 812 has a better low end due to the Taylor 12 fret design which to me gives a bit more balance. A significant factor should also be the difference I am hearing in the tonewood combinations.

Plugged in, the 812 closes the gap a lot for solo fingerstyle. l think the ES2 system is very good and tweak-able. I use a K&K Pure Mini in the OM1A and play both guitars through a Fishman Loudbox Mini.

Not sure what strings the OP uses but I found the stock Elixirs make the highs too "shimmery" on every Taylor I have owned. I have gotten more balance and clarity on my 812 with strings by Martin, DR, Newtone, D'Addario, and my favorites which are TI Plectrums.

New, there is about a $1,200 difference in cost between these guitars so I kind of expected the Collings to have a little something extra in most playing scenarios.

I'm in a similar situation as the OP. I love my OM1A but I really like the comfort of 12 fret short scale guitars with a cutaway. My dream Collings is a 0001AHC with a short scale. I'd have to do a custom build and if I got a good price for my OM1A, it'd cost me between $2.5k to $3k for the change. I sometimes set up my OM1A tuned down a 1/2 step combined with a capo to make it a bit more comfortable for me. I'm very happy and fortunate to be able to own these two very fine guitars.

My advice to the OP is to only part with his OM1A if you have the Collings model you want to replace it with at hand or on order.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)

Last edited by SprintBob; 07-21-2017 at 09:44 AM.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:01 AM

My opinion, no comparison, the Collings sounds so much more natural.

Nothing wrong with having more than one same size guitar, if there are differences (wood/bracing/cutaway). I have 3 Martin OM's but each has different woods and bracing, completely different voices.

I listened through my studio gear..........keep the Collings

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 07-21-2017, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
My opinion, no comparison, the Collings sounds so much more natural.

Nothing wrong with having more than one same size guitar, if there are differences (wood/bracing/cutaway). I have 3 Martin OM's but each has different woods and bracing, completely different voices.

I listened through my studio gear..........keep the Collings
I don't disagree and I value your input greatly. I heard it too. This Collings is superb. Balanced, organic, harmonically rich. I heard these qualities when I found it (and I wasn't looking for a guitar at the time). But I knew it was great. Over time, I simply bang up against the body for upper fret solo'ing. Other than that, nothing to fault.

You guys are all confirming what I am certain I knew before posting. (It's a great guitar) Whether the Taylor is not up to that level or not (and I think it is, but in its own way), the Taylor is so incredibly gig friendly with the ES2, the ease of Electronic control knobs, the neck profile, cutaway, armrest, ease of battery changing etc. It is VERY gig friendly and my audiences will love it (with nothing to compare to)

Plugged in, I can also EQ in some midrange and tame the bass. So really it is also a world class gigging instrument (IME/IMHO)

Once my Collings OM2H Cutaway Madi/German is back from my having its frets dressed and action adjusted, I will do a three way video comparison and contrast. (apples to oranges to pears) Ha!
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 07-21-2017, 10:16 AM

Default Agree...

SpiritBob said something I was going to write:

"My advice to the OP is to only part with his OM1A if you have the Collings model you want to replace it with at hand or on order."

So maybe get a Collings with a cutaway?

Collings; Taylor; Don Grosh electric; Collings Electric; Taylor K4
Old 07-21-2017, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

Unfortunately when I first replied to your thread...I did not totally understand that you might need to sell one guitar to obtain another. So my answer is slightly different than the first time. From what I have read from your first and last posts in this matter, I believe you already know the answer, and Like I have done many times...ask the questions I already know to be true.(although I don't know this at the time). And before I state my final opinion, I should mention, that we as the audience may not be able to hear all of the true tonal benefits of each guitar due to recording limits..Unless of course you have a pair of great microphones..in a great room, with great preamp and interface. So my new answer is...Yes...you probably should let go of the Collins if that is what you need to do to get the Taylor. The Taylor has a bigger, wider range of sound, it has the cut away that is important to you. If...the cutaway was the only reason..like another said...you could always get a Collins with a cutaway. But I think...you are asking this question upon yourself...because Collins is a great guitar..and by normal standards should be considered a better guitar because of its design and hand craftsmanship over the Taylor. But numbers are'nt always the definitive... You are comparing a bigger body...Rosewood to Mahogany..and I think...you have already known what is best for you...and that is the Taylor. I have bought and sold about 6 guitars over the last 30 years...sold a guitar to get another...Same as you, and about to let go of another two soon..Sometimes it has nothing to do with which is a better guitar..but what is best for Your playing sound needs. Don't let the name, the image get in the way with your needs. If it was at all possible...the best action would be to not let go of the Collins....for a while...until you personally own both guitars for a while...and then...if you decide that the Collins no longer has value let go...but...I realize that this is not the possible case for yourself...And Worse Case scenario..you can always get another Collins at a later date..but this time with the Cutaway. I sympathies greatly...it is so hard to make these decisions. One other word of advice...Spend as much time with the two guitars as possible...before purchasing..IF possible. Sometimes...a few days separations really makes things clearer.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:08 PM

Cool

i could wax poetic but in my simple words

the taylor is nice But

Collings has SOUL

The young man knows the rules, but the old man knows the exceptions. ~Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

"‎We all go Do, Re, Mi, but you've gotta find all the other notes yourself."
― Louis Armstrong
Old 07-21-2017, 12:11 PM

That Collings sounds so much better than the Taylor IMO. If it were me I would keep it.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
Snip ....
....Sometimes it has nothing to do with which is a better guitar..but what is best for your playing sound needs.

Snip ....

...the best action would be to not let go of the Collings....for a while...until you personally own both guitars for a while.
I snipped some of your share to respond to these points. They embody the 'nutshell'.

1. The best guitar for my needs will be better addressed when I get to take them to my next gig.
2. I don't "have" to sell the Collings. It would simply be more fiscally responsible. (no fun right? But there is freedom in doing the 'right thing'. That said, all your comments are hugely helpful. Ultimately the decision is mine to make regardless of what's right for anyone else. But I truly value your collective wisdom. I am more confident now that I would truly MISS "this" particular Collings if I let it get away. The Adirondack top has started to yellow, I've played it ton, so I'm sure its opening up, and it sounds like a Mature, organic, musical instrument.
3. That said, for my amplified gigging needs, the Taylor may still be the better 'tool' for that job. ...>to be determined.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 07-21-2017, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

I listened to both and your playing is lovely - nicely done.

The Collings is a much more "interesting" - there is a lot happening with that guitar; organic, rich, woody, etc. A perfect tone to my ear. And, while some may dismiss my opinion because I am a shameless Collings fan, that is not what is happening here.

I also am a fan of Taylor guitars but, in this case, the tone is "flatter" and less nuanced to me. Taylor's playability is often excellent and a larger body gives a different tonal palette, but I don't favor it in this case.

For gigging have you ever picked up a Taylor 114e? I think you might be surprised.

At any rate, don't part with the OM1A if you don't have to. I think there will be too much regret.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kh1967 View Post
I listened to both and your playing is lovely - nicely done.

The Collings is a much more "interesting" - there is a lot happening with that guitar; organic, rich, woody, etc. A perfect tone to my ear. And, while some may dismiss my opinion because I am a shameless Collings fan, that is not what is happening here.

I also am a fan of Taylor guitars but, in this case, the tone is "flatter" and less nuanced to me. Taylor's playability is often excellent and a larger body gives a different tonal palette, but I don't favor it in this case.

For gigging have you ever picked up a Taylor 114e? I think you might be surprised.

At any rate, don't part with the OM1A if you don't have to. I think there will be too much regret.

All points well taken. Keeping the Collings seems to be a consensus.

As an FYI - I did already purchase the Taylor 814CE Deluxe, but I do have the luxury of Guitar Center's 45 day return policy.
That said, I am fairly confident its going to work VERY well on an amplified gig.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com

Last edited by Groberts; 07-21-2017 at 12:33 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:29 PM

That's a great sounding Collins. I'd hold on to that one!
Old 07-21-2017, 01:26 PM

The Collings sounds better to my ears; a solid quality sound.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion