The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-21-2018, 10:21 AM

I had a similar impression of my new D18 I got after only playing my Yairi for a year or so. Sounded so much tighter than the Yairi, I thought I had made a mistake. I played it more, it loose es up and very quickly came to love the sound. Now I play it more than the Yairi.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:32 AM

I have never owned a Martin. I have played a few even visited the factory.

They are fine well made and good sounding instruments. They may be worth the price.

But.

They have never reached out and grabbed me.

Like anything else it is all very personal. If it doesn't reach out and grab your inner musician don't buy it or send it back.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hearsedriver View Post
Well, Ive only had my new Martin D-28 for about 4 days but, I have to say, my Blueridge BR-160A is a much better sounding and playing guitar. Its a bit disappointing. The Blueridge has a much fuller tone, more volume, better bass. and easier playing neck. Im wondering if I made a mistake by buying the 2017 D28 at this point. To be fair, my BR is 9 years old though. Im hoping the Martin doesnt become a case queen
It's obvious you bought this based on the D-28's reputation without playing it first. Many of us have to do this because the model we think we want isn't available in stores to try. I would send it back. There's no way a D-28 shouldn't sound better than a guitar that now retails for under $900.

Don't forget that the BR you have could be one of those special ones too.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 01-21-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
It's obvious you bought this based on the D-28's reputation without playing it first. Many of us have to do this because the model we think we want isn't available in stores to try. I would send it back. There's no way a D-28 should sound worse than a guitar that now retails for under $900.
Actually, as per my post, I did buy it locally and compared it to another D-28 and they sounded the same to me. Yes, I bought it on Martins reputation and confidence that they would stand behind it should any issues arise. Dont misunderstand. Its not a bad sounding guitar. Just not as good as the BR at this point in time. The bonebridge pins on the Blueridge were a tremendous upgrade so, I am hoping they have the same affect on the Martin. The Martin does open up as I play it and sounds much better after an hour of strummimg so, I think the potential is there. It already has a bone nut and saddle from the factory so, no need to replace those as far as I am concerned.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Actually, as per my post, I did buy it locally and compared it to another D-28 and they sounded the same to me. Yes, I bought it on Martins reputation and confidence that they would stand behind it should any issues arise. Dont misunderstand. Its not a bad sounding guitar. Just not as good as the BR at this point in time. The bonebridge pins on the Blueridge were a tremendous upgrade so, I am hoping they have the same affect on the Martin. The Martin does open up as I play it and sounds much better after an hour of strummimg so, I think the potential is there. It already has a bone nut and saddle from the factory so, no need to replace those as far as I am concerned.
Ok, I didn't read every post, my bad, . See what happens. Did you get a decent return window with the purchase or is it only 7 days? I'm just saying though the Martin/Blueridge comparison should be night and day, but I've played more than my share of guitars that "should have", but didn't. Good luck.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 01-21-2018, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

I had the same experience. I owned a standard D28 and it just sounded way to dead to me. You might think about exchanging it for a D35 or just return it for a refund.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:41 AM

I would try different strings also to find the tone you are looking for. I recently purchased a Martin MMV used over the internet. I had gone to 3 different GC's and played 3 different MMV's. They all sounded comparable to each other. I decided to buy used because it was significantly cheaper, I bought one almost unused. It still had the pick guard protector on it.

I put on a new pack of Martin SP medium strings and played it. I was not satisfied with the sound I had heard compared to the ones I have played at Guitar Center. I tried Martin Retros next and then I tried Martin SP lights next that I had on hand for my other guitar. Still not satisfied I bought some D'Addario EJ16's and wow just what I was looking for. Thoroughly satisfied now with the tone and play ability with these strings.

Last edited by Ozark; 01-21-2018 at 11:47 AM.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark View Post
I would try different strings also to find the tone you are looking for. I recently purchased a Martin MMV used over the internet. I had gone to 3 different GC's and played 3 different MMV's. They all sounded comparable to each other. I decided to buy used because it was significantly cheaper, I bought one almost unused. It still had the pick guard protector on it.

I put on a new pack of Martin SP medium strings and played it. I was not satisfied with the sound I had heard compared to the ones I have played at Guitar Center. I tried Martin Retros next and then I tried Martin SP lights next that I had on hand for my other guitar. Still not satisfied I bought some D'Addario EJ16's and wow just what I was looking for. Thoroughly satisfied now with the tone and play ability with these strings.

Good point Ozark. The 28 came with light PB Martins of some kind. They were fairly dead so I immediately replaced them with SP PB mediums. I have EJ-16's, 17's and Retros to try on it but I'd like to give the medium SP's a chance to settle in good before I change them out.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Ok, I didn't read every post, my bad, . See what happens. Did you get a decent return window with the purchase or is it only 7 days? I'm just saying though the Martin/Blueridge comparison should be night and day, but I've played more than my share of guitars that "should have", but didn't. Good luck.
LOL. I rarely read them all myself . I think I have a 14 day return window. I didnt ask but thats what he offers on his Ebay auctions. Its a brick and mortar store and pretty decent sized Martin dealer but they also sell on Ebay. Thats actually how I found them and discovered that the store was only 45 minutes away from me.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:37 PM

I have two responses, and hope they can be helpful.

My local guitar shop carries good selections of Martin and Taylor acoustics, and when I drop by and the shop is more or less empty, I head into the acoustic room and play some guitars. My experience with the Martins is that, new off the rack, they are fairly variable--much more so than the Taylors (though I'm not saying the Taylors are better.) A D35, 0018 and OM28 I've played in the shop have been world class, truly exceptional, but others have been only ok, and some have been uninspiring. The smaller Martins have been the most consistent, and the worst have been ok; but the dreads have varied wildly with a share of clunkers. The D35 that came in to replace the wonderful D35 I had previously played was so boomy that if it were the first D35 I'd played, I'd assume they were pretty awful guitars. I'm guessing that the one you played and took home, like the other you compared it to, was just ok, and it really isn't as satisfying as what sounds like a fine Blueridge.

My second response is that if this happened to me and I had a window to return the guitar, I'd run it back to the store. I guess I'd give it a day or so to break in, but after that I'd give up. There are too many fine guitars at that price point, and I know that I would always be believing I conceded to the feeling that all Martins should be good. Sometimes they just aren't.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

Default M vs B

IMHO, your ears have been accustomed to the guitar you have been playing for a while. Anything 'new' or 'different' will of course sound different.
But 'better'? I think not.
Your are comparing apples to oranges.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kupuna50 View Post
IMHO, your ears have been accustomed to the guitar you have been playing for a while. Anything 'new' or 'different' will of course sound different.
But 'better'? I think not.
Your are comparing apples to oranges.
I disagree and it's far too subjective.
You can say the Blueridge isn't better, that's your privilege, but it just might be.
I own a D18 that I think is the best-sounding guitar of it's type. It is a killer guitar. The first time I played it, it was WOW!
I've also played a fair number of D18's that I would not own.
I also owned an Eastman E20D that I thought was "better" than any D28 I had played except one which was also dynamite.
There are variations of everything.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 01-21-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Good point Ozark. The 28 came with light PB Martins of some kind. They were fairly dead so I immediately replaced them with SP PB mediums. I have EJ-16's, 17's and Retros to try on it but I'd like to give the medium SP's a chance to settle in good before I change them out.
IMO, if the guitar came set up for light gauge strings I would stick with light gauge for a while. It might surprise you to find that you actually get a better sound from the guitar with the lights that it is set up for than the mediums. This is the case with my very lightly braced Yairi DYMR70SB. I've had mediums on it, and the sound was stiffer than it is with lights. My D18, on the other hand, needs the extra tension of the mediums to get the top moving.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:09 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiousDevil View Post
I had a similar impression of my new D18 I got after only playing my Yairi for a year or so. Sounded so much tighter than the Yairi, I thought I had made a mistake. I played it more, it loose es up and very quickly came to love the sound. Now I play it more than the Yairi.
Yep...same thing happened to me when my J-45 arrived. Loved the tone, but stiff to play. Not terrible, but noticeably less buttery than my Martins even after two trips to my setup tech...who previously had always gotten my new gits dialed in perfectly in one trip.

I never really thought about giving up on it because the tone is so sweet. So I stuck with it, playing it daily, including my usual heavy handed strumming. And BOOM - suddenly after about a month it was playing smooth as silk. I’ve never had a guitar loosen up so dramatically so quickly. Now it’s one of my favorites...and will be for a looong time.

Old 01-21-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Well, Ive only had my new Martin D-28 for about 4 days but, I have to say, my Blueridge BR-160A is a much better sounding and playing guitar.
Now you've gone and done it. Created major cognitive dissonance. You must be doing something wrong.

Please correct before the universe implodes.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion