The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-07-2018, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankhond View Post
What about fingers, they wear on the neck finish, not to mention the top. The arm resting on the top wear on it, the cloth in your shirt wear on the back of the guitar. Strings pressing against the frets and fretboard, not to mention where a capo presses on, say, the second fret, for minutes and minutes at a time. The strap rubs against the binding, and the unrelenting pressure of the strings... maybe the capo resting behind the nut doesn’t seem so bad.
Those are normal issues to expect if one plays a guitar.

Leaving the capo attached to the guitar, admitting it damages the guitar but it's convenient, is quite the opposite. The comparison you attempt to make, is not one.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 01-07-2018, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for all the replies, folks.

I have a few G7th performance 2s, and I really like those a lot. But I also like the more traditional look of the Paige for my new 00-18.

Honestly, I'm fine keeping the Paige off of the guitar when packed in the case. But if I'm leaving it out on the stand for a few weeks at a time, I'd really just prefer to have it on the guitar at all times, for convenience. My initial worry was that the padding might react with the nitro. However, lots of you are stating that leaving it on can mark up the back of the headstock or neck, which I'm not a huge fan of.

In any case, I'm going to send Paige an email and see what they say. I'll report back when I get a response.

Last edited by Luckymud; 01-07-2018 at 01:49 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 01-07-2018, 01:52 PM

Default Leaving a Paige capo on permanently

I’ve used a Paige for two years on my Taylor with no ill effects. I’ve never taken it off.

However, “some” capos will have an effect on “some” finishes.

My grandfather used this capo on his Martin in the late 80’s and it ate right through the finish both where he used it when playing and where it was clamped to the headstock.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2

Last edited by ChrisE; 01-07-2018 at 02:39 PM.
Old 01-07-2018, 04:58 PM

I used a Kyser capo on a guitar with lacquer finish and when playing the guitar the capo was attached to the headstock when not in use.
It caused the finish to darken where the capo rested on the headstock.
I emailed Kyser about the problem but got nothing back from them.
I see that they now have a disclaimer about not keeping the capo on the guitar when not in use.
I'm very upset with Kyser for this and for no response back from them.

With that said,
I use a guitar in my band that has a poly finish.
My Paige capo has been left on the guitar for over 4 years with no problems.
The reasons that I think makes this possible is that the guitar has a poly and not a lacquer finish.
Old 01-07-2018, 05:18 PM
Charter Member

A big part of the appeal of the Paige, for me, is that it can stay on all the time. The little clasp that holds it on is clearly not one that’s intended for easy on and offness. When not in use, behind the nut, it’s not posing any threat at all to headstock or anything—the thumbscrew you use to adjust tension can be tightened just enough to keep it all from rattling: a very gentle tightening. I just can’t imagine using it as something to be taken off between uses
Old 01-07-2018, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeboma View Post
A big part of the appeal of the Paige, for me, is that it can stay on all the time. The little clasp that holds it on is clearly not one that’s intended for easy on and offness. When not in use, behind the nut, it’s not posing any threat at all to headstock or anything—the thumbscrew you use to adjust tension can be tightened just enough to keep it all from rattling: a very gentle tightening. I just can’t imagine using it as something to be taken off between uses
Everyone leaves it on between songs, that's part of it's appeal as you said.

Leaving it on the guitar after casing it is something altogether different.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 01-08-2018, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckymud View Post
I recently received a Paige capo, and was planning on leaving it on my guitar permanently (storing behind the nut, even while in the case). Is there any danger to doing this? What about to guitars that finished with nitro?

Thanks much.
I have 2 Martin Vintage Series guitars and one Martin Golden Era guitar, all built in 2004. I've owned them for 8 to 9 years. I don't know and don't care what the finish materials are. I own two Paige capos and one Eliot capo. All three capos are kept on a guitar at all times, except when I change strings. Yes, even when a guitar is in its case for transport. None of the guitars has damage from a capo, .

Oh, I also have, or had, a Shubb capo. I like it. I don't know where it is. That is why I use Paige capos and keep them on my guitars.

BTW, Each guitar has a Snark tuner that lives on its headstock. Again, no damage to three of three guitars in my experience.

Last edited by jwing; 01-08-2018 at 08:57 AM.
Old 01-09-2018, 02:53 PM

I have Paige capos and snark tuners permanently on my Martin and two Guilds. No problems whatsoever.

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
Everyone leaves it on between songs, that's part of it's appeal as you said.

Leaving it on the guitar after casing it is something altogether different.
Each to his own. I like the Paige and like Goodallboy I leave it on while playing and take it off when I put it in the case. It fits real good, but if bumped it will leave dents, dings, like any capo. Plus, I don't mind removing it.

I've tried many other capos, but the Paige fits above the nut and against the flute without moving around better than any other I have tried. I like the tone too. A little time understanding how to apply tension and placement behind the fret pays off in spades. Might not be as pretty or of quite as high quality, but it's right up there with the best in my opinion.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion