The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 04-24-2016, 03:35 PM

Here's the thread about Rich's Gilchrist with pics and a video

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=400957

hans
2000 Froggy Bottom H12c (adir/ind RW)
2016 Froggy Bottom K mod (adir/madrose; my son's)
2010 Voyage-Air VAOM-2C

http://www.soundclick.com/hanstunes (recorded on Froggy H12c)
Old 05-27-2016, 10:36 PM

Default Best archtop for the money?

This is really a matter of opinion and subjectivity in terms of how much money are we talking about. Since you didn't mention any amount, I would say Benedetto was building a superb instrument when he was actually the one building them. Now, I believe he has a crew of workers who do the actual building as he supervises and builds only a limited number himself. Due to the fact that it is impossible to put out the number of instruments he puts out a year if he was actually the one building them. So I will say IMO that John Monteleone probably builds the best archtop for the money. They start at $15,000 or more, and the sky is the limit.

Cheers,
Arnie...
Old 05-28-2016, 02:41 AM
Charter Member

A couple comments:

1) Bob Benedetto will turn 70 this year and lives in Ocala, Florida. The Benedetto Guitars shop is in Savannah, Georgia, which is 3-1/2 hours by car north. At this point, guitar labels are sent to him for signature and on some high-end models actually the guitar. Today it is a high quality, small shop whose business is lead by Howard Paul and the shop lead by Daimon Mailand (Whose been there 10-years) with 5 workers who CNC, contruct, assemble, finish and set-up guitars that are Bob's designs or derivative of them.

2) When I last inquired with John Monteleone a few years ago his base price was $39,000. Most of his customization costs more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnie65 View Post
This is really a matter of opinion and subjectivity in terms of how much money are we talking about. Since you didn't mention any amount, I would say Benedetto was building a superb instrument when he was actually the one building them. Now, I believe he has a crew of workers who do the actual building as he supervises and builds only a limited number himself. Due to the fact that it is impossible to put out the number of instruments he puts out a year if he was actually the one building them. So I will say IMO that John Monteleone probably builds the best archtop for the money. They start at $15,000 or more, and the sky is the limit.

Cheers,
Arnie...

Last edited by iim7V7IM7; 05-28-2016 at 05:26 AM.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:07 AM

Default Best archtop builder

I guess id vote for Wyatt Wilke.he apprenticed with Bob B and makes beautiful archtops, mandolins and some violins at his shop in Canada.nice fellow too.
Old 09-09-2016, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulHintz View Post
Another vote for the "OP's question is unanswerable, at least as-asked". It's a golden age of luthiery, for sure. Get out and try some. As Bruce S. noted above, a wide range of approaches, and results, are all excellent. Having myself the good fortune to own, for 11 years now, a Bill Comins archtop that had 3 other owners in the first 7 years of its existence---I can vouch for "beauty is in the ears of the beholder"! Enjoy the search!
Wise words indeed. And it is for this very reason that I would never have an instrument, of any description, custom made. Too many unknowns. Although I have a good idea of what what I like, want and need from a guitar, it is very difficult to describe it to a person and then have them deliver it 100%. I'd rather try some instruments which are already there, "on the wall" of the builder, and then if one of them happens to be my dream guitar, buy it.
Much less angst. Or, indeed, waiting time.

Last edited by Mr. Scott; 09-09-2016 at 08:16 AM.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:57 AM

I`LL put Mark Campellone in the mix, I have his Deluxe Model,all acoustic,for the money, they are wonderful archtops..
Old 01-20-2018, 04:22 AM

Default Triggs!

I have 2 Triggs archtops - excellent instruments

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops