The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-04-2018, 09:47 PM

Default Emerald x20 gig bag

Just got my emerald x20 an couldn't be happier!!!

But, I bought a mono gig bag. Any ideas what someone would pay for the emerald branded gig bag that came with it? Just curious.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttyprof View Post

But, I bought a mono gig bag. Any ideas what someone would pay for the emerald branded gig bag that came with it? Just curious.
There's a reason you bought the mono bag. And I don't use my Emerald bag. The bag is a disappointment for such a fine guitar.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

I see on Emerald's site, the gig bag is a $90 option if you order it along with the Hiscox case that comes with the Artisans or Customs. No idea what it would sell for if purchased separately, but I would assume there would also be a shipping charged involved if you weren't getting it at the same time as the guitar.

An e-mail to Sean at Emerald would get you an accurate answer.

Congrats on the X20! Love mine!
Old 01-05-2018, 06:53 AM

The Emerald OEM gig bag is not my cup-of-tea. I don't care for the color scheme and the overly prominent brand name screams STEAL ME!!!!
Old 01-05-2018, 08:06 AM
Charter Member

I opted to order just the Emerald gig bag and no hard case with my X20 custom. My thinking was that I never use hard cases anyway, so why bother and rather save myself some money.

I like the Emerald gig bag. No one outside of this forum knows who or what Emerald is so I disagree with the big Emerald emblem being a 'steal me' sign. I like the look as well.

I will stipulate that it's not the best gig bag for protection but then again it's a CF guitar so how much protection does it really need anyway? I already have a very high-end Gator Go-Pro Ultimate gig bag which I use for all my guitars if I need extra protection - another reason I didn't worry about getting a hard case.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

I wasn't a "gig bag kinda guy" for decades. The gig bag that came with the GSmini when I bought it years ago changed my mind. When I got the RainSong Shorty, it came with a heavy TKL hard case that is nice, but a beast (a heavy wood case for a lightweight CF guitar???). I bought an Access gig bag that fits the Shorty and my Taylor 522.

I have come to see the functionality and light weight advantages of a gig bag - when I am the only one handling my guitar. I love the gig bag that comes with the X7. While I also have the Emerald gig bag for the X20, I have to say that the Hiscox that Emerald uses for the X20 is an outstanding hard shell case, as well... lightweight, good protection. Nice to have options.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:47 AM

I love the Hiscox hard case that came with my X20-12 -- very nice, not too heavy, and among the best hard cases I've encountered. I will use the Hiscox for other guitars too.

But honestly the Emerald's last few trips outside the house have been in either my Taylor Hard Bag (Access Stage 3, quite similar to the GS Mini gig bag) or a Saga Superior bag - I have several of those Saga bags laying around. The Saga is comparable in quality to the Emerald bag IMO, but in plain black and with a number of zippered compartments for storage. I prefer gig bags for that storage capability -- keeping everything there and organized (extra strings, capo, tuner, picks, strap, song list).

I would be happy owning the Emerald bag for my X20-12, but would not pay a huge premium for it. Maybe $65 delivered.... because I can find comparable non-logo bags for that amount any day of the week at my LGS.
Old 01-05-2018, 04:32 PM

Do any of the rigid foam cases fit the x20?
Old 01-05-2018, 05:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
The Saga is comparable in quality to the Emerald bag IMO, but in plain black and with a number of zippered compartments for storage. I prefer gig bags for that storage capability -- keeping everything there and organized (extra strings, capo, tuner, picks, strap, song list).
If there is one shortcoming on the X20 gig bag (other than perhaps a little more padding) it would be the lack of more compartments. They have one large one on the lower front which is capable of holding a fair amount of things but it's really nice to have additional compartments like a long one up the neck and maybe a smaller one up there as well. That's one thing I love about the Gator Go-Pro Ultimate line - tons of compartments and even in the large one ties for organizing cords and small Velcro pockets for further organizing. But then again it's also a much more expensive bag.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:35 PM

I always got mine from Elderly, then from Janet Davis Music when they disappeared from the Elderly catalog a few years ago. They appear to be back at Elderly now..... I grew up in Michigan and have spent a lot of time on Lake Superior. It is cool to see that logo on my gig bags......
https://www.elderly.com/superior-gui...gbag-98844.htm
Although there are gig bags out there with more padding, the numerous compartments really make the bag.....Superior.

Sadly, my Google search just revealed that Janet Davis Music has closed its doors last spring.

Jwellsy, I will try my X20-12 in my TRIC foam case tomorrow sometime. I expect that it will fit just fine.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Jwellsy, I will try my X20-12 in my TRIC foam case tomorrow sometime. I expect that it will fit just fine.
Thanks, I really like the plush rigid foam cases like the ones Yamaha's ship with. They're a great compromise of protection and weight.
Old 07-31-2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:

Hi just wondering which mono gig bag did you get for your x20?

Past:
2015 --- Maton S60
2016 --- Mini Maton EM6
ft. AP5 Original
2017 --- Cole Clark CCAN2EC-SR
ft. 3-way pickup
2017 --- Cole Clark CCLL1RM

Current:
2017 --- Anuenue M200
2018 --- Emerald X20 Opus
ft. satin neck + LR Baggs Element
Old 07-31-2018, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
Thanks, I really like the plush rigid foam cases like the ones Yamaha's ship with. They're a great compromise of protection and weight.
FWIW, my X20 and X20-12 have been traveling locally in my TRIC dreadnought case. for several weeks now The fit is a little loose laterally, but it works just fine. In fact that TRIC case is what will carry my Emerald to the bluegrass jam in about an hour.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albirw View Post
Hi just wondering which mono gig bag did you get for your x20?
I got the Mono M80 case for it. Dreadnought size.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber