The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-21-2018, 11:57 AM

Default Consistency of PU/Preamp Output Levels in A/E Guitars

I have four guitars with UST PU's and onboard preamps. Of the four, one has a lower output level than the others. Using a Fishman LB Mini as reference, three of them only need the gain set at about 9-10 o'clock, but the one with the low output needs to be at about 12 o'clock for a comparable volume. I've not played with other guitars to know if there can be a variation in output levels. I had changed out the saddle a few years back on the guitar in question and I'm fairly sure I got the bottom as about as flat as possible to maximize contact to the PU. The individual string volumes do seem fairly balanced.
The low output guitar is an older Ibanez AEF18E with an SRTn w/B-Band system. Not an expensive guitar, but does sound OK ampped.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:31 PM

I own/have owned Yamaha FGX730SC, LLX6A, SLG100S, CPX700-II-12S, AC5R, LL16M A.R.E., AC3R (first gen.).

The first five listed all had the same relative output level, some took 9v, some AA. The LL16M took no batteries and was a little lower. The AC3R takes two AA and the ouptut is considerably lower than the others. I set my gain at amp and mixer so guitars are at 12 o'clock. The AC3R has to be maxed out.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:47 PM

You could either:

1) Preset the output volumes on all instruments to a consistent level (lower on the 3 high-output guitars, to match the cranked volume on the low-output one); or

2) Use some sort of clean boost pedal (a simple compressor pedal would also work) with the low-output guitar to match the level of the other three.

If you aren't regularly switching between the four guitars in a gig setting, this is probably unnecessary.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification