The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-04-2008, 12:00 PM

I also have to agree. I love playing my guitar on the third fret. It really sounds good and I have learned a few good sounds capod on the 3rd.
Takamine EG531SSC
Gretsch G3100
Old 10-04-2008, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
If I remember correctly there once was a thread about how everyone loved their guitars capoed at the 2nd fret! The second fret is my favorite position. Watch Gordon Lightfoot, his guitar is almost always capoed at the second fret, or the third from time to time. Not only do I love the sound of a capoed guitar I use one more often than I don't. I'd be lost without one.
I have had much the same experience. I love playing both Gordon Lightfoot songs (for example, Pussywillows, Cattails, capo 3; If You Could Read My Mind, capo 3; Song For A Winter's Night, capo 2) and James Taylor songs (e.g., "The Secret O' Life, capo 3; Copperline, capo 2; etc.).

I find I play with the capo at frets 2 and 3 as often as I play the guitar with no capo. Tommy Emmanuel doesn't use the capo a lot, but his "Lewis & Clark" song is played capo 2, and he's the first to admit that it just doesn't sound right with no capo.

Simon & Garfunkel's "Scarborough Fair" or "Dangling Conversation" or "Sounds of Silence" are played with the capo.

As has been suggested, it does make the guitar easier to play, but I think for fingerstyle playing it takes the guitar to a tonal range that seems to be particularly pleasing.

I feel certain this is why we have so many posts about capos. Once you fall in love with that sound, the way the capo works becomes very important.

Thanks, Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion