The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-30-2010, 01:29 PM

Default Wow it sounded GREAT!

Played at a wedding last night mic'ed into the PA. First time playing my D18GE like that and solo to boot. Before the wedding started another picker came in as we did a sound check and I had the rare (for me) oportunity to listen to my guitar being played by someone other than me, through the pa system, and it sounded so good I almost cried. Come to think of it, maybe it was the other picker that sounded so good. HA!

Steel and Wood, "Listen closely and she'll tell you her secrets" RG
Old 05-30-2010, 04:50 PM

Rick,

Good for you!!!

My very first solo acoustic gig after decades of playing electric in a band (in NJ) was a dinner concert in Texas at a historical inn. I pitched myself, filled the room, and played originals on my D-18GE "miked", and sang my originals no one had ever heard before except my wife, probably too many times. They booked me after the first set until the place closed, but it was a personal challenge and victory....

I'm sure your GE sounded great, Mahogany is so much easier to amplify/record than Rosewood, and GE's are just wonderful guitars. It is kind of eye opening to hear your guitar played by someone else through a system and go "wow" my guitar sounds great played by "x", now I have to make it sound just as good because it sure isn't the guitar if it sounds bad.

I'll bet you did yourself proud!

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 05-30-2010, 05:52 PM

If I ever get a chance to play a D-18GE, and if the one in my lap sounds as good as everyone says they do, I will buy it. Even if it means I have to sell my entire, current line-up to pay for it.

To my way of hearing, the Martin sound defines what a guitar should sound like. I suspect the D-18GE comes as close to capturing the quintessential Martin sound as any guitar of current manufacture. But I suppose I could be wrong.

A veteran is someone who at one point in his or her life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'
Old 05-30-2010, 07:55 PM
Charter Member

Cool Nice!

Congrats! Glad it went well for you... it truly is an "eye-opener" to hear one's guitar through a system with someone else playing it; a definite "Wow! So that's what it sounds like out here!" moment...

And I bet you sounded every bit as good as the other player...

Good job!
Old 05-30-2010, 08:02 PM
Charter Member

That sounds great Rick! Now you know your guitar sounds fantastic. I can totally believe it, too! I hope your performance went really well.

Regards, Glenn
Old 05-31-2010, 09:58 AM

Thanks for your responses guys. I really don't think I could be any happier with a guitar than I am my D18. And it truly was an ear opening experience to hear it played by someone else through the pa system.
So far as how the performance went, it was really ok. Not bad but not perfect you know. I messed up a wee bit but I'm sure nobody but me heard it. All in all a great time.

Steel and Wood, "Listen closely and she'll tell you her secrets" RG
Old 05-31-2010, 10:07 AM

No, Rick....It was the guitar...lol........Hey, but seriously, I understand what you mean about hearing your own guitar. One of the best times I've had was at an 'open mic" last year when three of my friends came by to just listen. They ended-up each playing my Gibson J150 and it was the first time I'd ever heard it from the audience. I've always loved it's sound, but after that I couldn't put the thing down......Congrats on a great guitar. But then again, a D18GE is not "just" a great guitar. It's something special.

http://www.family-friendly-music.com/

The Missouripicker's YouTube Channel
URL:http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMissouripicker

Gibson J100 Walnut, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Dove, Gibson J45TV, Gibson AJ RW, Gibson AJ Koa, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Gibson J15, Martin HD28, Alvarez MFA66SHB and many other guitars, banjos, mandolins, dobros, dulcimers, and strays.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:26 AM
Eric Skye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acoustic Rick View Post
Played at a wedding last night mic'ed into the PA. First time playing my D18GE like that and solo to boot. Before the wedding started another picker came in as we did a sound check and I had the rare (for me) oportunity to listen to my guitar being played by someone other than me, through the pa system, and it sounded so good I almost cried. ...
Nothing will ever come close to a mic. I'm not saying it work for everyone all the time, but when it does, it's just night and day

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion