The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-09-2016, 06:01 PM
Charter Member

Default Strings - are they REALLY that different?

I've been playing mostly D'addario strings for maybe 20 years. On occasions I have had the odd "dead" wound string and unwounds that came unwound at the barrel winding.

I tend to prefer Jim Dunlops on my mandolin and my Dobro, because they seem bright , but mainly because they supply 2 x 18s for the 1st and 2nd.

I tend to buy Elixir anti-rust because ....they rust ...less (but sometimes have winding issues).

My wound strings are always PBs.

Recently I tried some British made Rotosound strings ...they are fine, seem a little brighter than D'adds but that is a subjective observation.

So,here's the thing>

Facts:

1.strings have different gauges (and so different tensions)
2. There are different winding materials - PB, Bronze, Nickel, Monel etc.
3. Some are coated, (most aren't).

Received wisdom:

1. Strings go "off" after about two years -even if hermetically sealed (according to an advisor from D'addario).
2. Strings don't come with "Best before" dating.
3. Many strings are made by the same factories (but might be to different standards (?)

I remember walking into a shop one day and overhearing a sales guy telling someone that all strings are much the same ... I chortled to myself ..... but ......

Seriously, assuming you buy, say medium gauge PB round wound on hex core strings ....aren't they pretty much the same ....really?

Are we suckered into spending more than necessary for the same product because they are "hand wound" or "highly polished" or some such gimmick?

Are we buying strings or brands?

Am I a heretic ?
Old 12-09-2016, 06:16 PM

I've bought GHS Doyle Dykes Signature PBs Lights several times because of the gauging - they have a heavier bass string at 54, but custom light trebles. However, they never sounded good to me no matter which guitar I put them on. This can't be pure coincidence. I've wanted to like them, but each time I've put them on, I've ended up taking them off way before their time. Generally, I'm fine with almost anything, but I there's certainly something about these particular strings that doesn't work for me, and it's not just imagination.
Old 12-09-2016, 06:52 PM

I like D'Addario EJ44TT on my nylon string guitars,
Martin Monel MTR13 on my 6 string guitars,
and D'Addario EXP36 my 12 string guitar.
I like the tactile experience of changing strings on my guitars.
I love to hold and caress my guitars.
They complete me.

https://youtu.be/EOjyDFplVfw

Old 12-09-2016, 07:08 PM

Throw a set of these on that old Martin D12-20 you have and then ask me if strings are really that different. (I nearly wrote 'I dare you' but I didn't )

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 12-09-2016, 07:10 PM

You make a really good point. I have nowhere near the years of experience playing that you do, but I tell myself I like the D'Addario Phosphor or 80/20 Lights and the John Pearse Phosphor and 80/20 lights the best. I think they sound the best to me. I think.

If you strung my guitars with 3 or 4 brands of strings without me being able to see what brands were on them, and then asked me to play the guitars and tell you what brands were on each, I doubt I could do it.

Or if you strung 3 guitars with different brands, one of which was one of my favorites mentioned above, I'm not sure I could even pick out the ones I think are my favorite. Perhaps I could eliminate one or two and get lucky, but I have little confidence I could tell the difference.

Long story short, I think I'm biased by branding that I perceive to be high quality and too inexperienced to really discern subtle differences yet. I know what does not sound good, but to tell the difference between good-sounding strings would be very hard for me.

But at least I'm biased toward lower priced strings, so I've got THAT going for me.
Alvarez MD60BG
Yamaha LL16RD
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Player Stratocaster
Old 12-09-2016, 07:12 PM

Perhaps I've got an unsophisticated ear, but after 30 odd years of playing, I can't say I've ever noticed much difference - strings are strings to me. My strings of choice are Martin SP phosphor bronze, but that's more habit than anything else. Last change on my Martin 000 I could only get hold of Earthwood Bronze and I think they sound pretty much the same.
1998 Takamine PT-508
1983 Ibanez V320
2011 Martin LX1
Old 12-09-2016, 07:18 PM

I've found 80/20 and PB to be largely in the same tonal vein but there are subtle difference them and further nuance between manufacturers.

The Nickel-bronze are more different, but still showing their bronze origins.

Monels tend to be a bigger tonal shift and are much different than bronze based alloys.

Takes a lot of time and experimentation to find the combination that suits your playing but it is well worth the trouble.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:20 PM

Yes, they really are that different. Quite certainly, the greatest players are very particular about the strings they use for very real reasons.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:23 PM
Charter Member

Some strings are rather similar. Some are quite different. Overall, strings make more of a difference than, say, a new nut, or saddle, or the glue used by the luthier, but less than the body shape, the luthier's design and the player's right hand technique.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:23 PM

"Seriously, assuming you buy, say medium gauge PB round wound on hex core strings ....aren't they pretty much the same ....really?"

To some extent yes - but I find the key point is to only compare if the gauge is the same. For example EJ16 sound skimpy to me compared to the Martin SP (12,16,24,32,42,53 vs 12,16,25,32,42,54). The tiny tension increase can make a difference. The other point on that is that the core can be different sizes - take Newtone Heritage 13-55 the total tension is only 155lbs as they are designed with a smaller core for less tension. These are round core so not a direct comparison but I'm sure core size varies.

But I have noticed quite big sonic differences even with similar gauge and material, some harsh, some squeak, some die so fast some sound nice when they're dead others you can't wait to get off. I do think they are much of a muchness when fresh but after a day or two is a different story.

Blimey, Rotosound, I remember buying those sometimes back in the day along with Dean Markley and the odd Martins when I could afford them. I have some Ernie Balls waiting to be tried and might pick up some Rotosound for a trip down memory lane. But for now SP 80/20's are my favourites after testing many.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I'
Seriously, assuming you buy, say medium gauge PB round wound on hex core strings ....aren't they pretty much the same ....really?
I think they all sound pretty much the same, though I do prefer coated strings which have a little less snap on the wound strings than brand new uncoated strings.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 12-09-2016, 07:59 PM

Thank you for posting this. I agree.

Honestly, I cannot tell much difference between Elixir, D'Addario, and Martin coated PBs.

That's pretty much all I've ever bought, so I can't speak to all the other brands.

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair
Old 12-09-2016, 08:04 PM

Tone, longevity, consistency, tension, susceptibility to dirt and corrosion, colour, friction....

There are so many factors that can differentiate different strings of a given gauge, I'd expect it to be more unusual to find 2 exactly the same unless they have come from the same factory.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:18 PM

Strangely enough, Brucebubs I threw exactly that set on a 12 that I have on loan just to try out a few songs. Surprisingly, they actually don't sound too horrible and are quite playable. If I start playing the 12 more often then I might just go up market.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:19 PM

I find them entirely different. I've played for over 20 years and have played acoustic for more than half of that. I've not tried every string on the market but I've played all the big brands and some of the not so big brands.

Tone wise is at times where they differ the least. I find that the "talk" and the tension are as equally important to me as how they sound. Finding the very best of all the above for any given guitar is the secret sauce.

YMMV.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion