The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-09-2016, 06:57 PM

Ok, I tried the 3x0003 and it sounds good! Now just gotta nail the consistent muting of the 5th string automatically - will take just a bit of practice.

Thanks for all the input everyone.
Alvarez MD60BG
Yamaha LL16RD
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Player Stratocaster
Old 12-09-2016, 07:30 PM

Yeah not that hard to get the hang of, you'll have it in no time.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:48 PM

Yes it is lazy. I cannot understand why someone (absent an injury or deformity) would consciously decide "yeah I just don't want to learn that. I can't see why I need it. Every other guitar player in the world can do it but I don't need to because that's how I roll." Why would anyone intentionally close the door on another tool in the box?
Old 12-09-2016, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCROTTY View Post
I find myself using a modified G chord fingering of 300003 where my ring finger is on the low E and my pinky is on the high e of the third fret vs. the traditional 320033 fingering.

I use this modified fingering because it allows for an easier transition for me into and out of G. I know, practice it the right way. Don't be lazy. I prefer the sound of the traditional chord shape but it isn't THAT much of a sound difference and my chord transition is significantly improved using the modified fingering.

Am I cutting corners and being lazy or is this an acceptable and widely used G chord option?
Not sure that I've ever seen anyone using the 320033 fingering, although it does double the 5th. Have you ever tried 320003 with the pinkie on the high E, Ring on the low E, and bird on the A? Makes for an easy shift to/from C or F.
Old 12-09-2016, 11:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Not sure that I've ever seen anyone using the 320033 fingering, although it does double the 5th. Have you ever tried 320003 with the pinkie on the high E, Ring on the low E, and bird on the A? Makes for an easy shift to/from C or F.
I like it (though normally I would go 3x0033. It has a happy sound, for example in this old recording of my tune:
http://www.dcoombsguitar.com/Temp/Happy.mp3

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 12-10-2016, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Our lead guitarist plays 320033 fingering in some of the carols that we are working on. I've even been known to use it on rare occasion.
Old 12-10-2016, 06:07 AM

Silly Mustache:

You are good! I had to check your other videos to be sure you were actually English. You sing like you are from Tulsa.

Which is a compliment!

That's also a beautiful guitar.

Greg Rappleye
Old 12-10-2016, 08:17 AM

Quote:
That's a good idea - I'll give that a shot.
Alvarez MD60BG
Yamaha LL16RD
Old 12-10-2016, 10:53 AM

Quote:
I find myself using a modified G chord fingering of 300003 where my ring finger is on the low E and my pinky is on the high e of the third fret vs. the traditional 320033 fingering.
That's fine if a Gsus2 is what you're after. That open A doesn't belong in a G major.

Quote:
I use this modified fingering because it allows for an easier transition for me into and out of G. I know, practice it the right way. Don't be lazy. I prefer the sound of the traditional chord shape but it isn't THAT much of a sound difference and my chord transition is significantly improved using the modified fingering.
The "standard" (if there is one) first position G shape is 320003. There's no need to fret the B string, as B is part of the Gmaj chord. Learn it, and you'll find it no harder to move from chord to chord. And learn it using ring, middle and pinky fingers, leaving your index finger free to play fills, and easily move to different chords. Learn it right now, and save yourself a lot of frustration later.

Quote:
Am I cutting corners and being lazy or is this an acceptable and widely used G chord option?
IMO ... yes, lazy (really, just not aware of the ramifications down the road) ... and no, playing a sus2 when you want a major is not acceptable.
Old 12-10-2016, 11:07 AM

If you want to be really lazy, just keep your left hand off the guitar and only play the D, G & B strings.
Old 12-10-2016, 11:11 AM

Quote:

Using your 2nd, 3rd, & 4th fingers to fret a 1st position G chord is the most efficient way to do it.

Last edited by RRuskin; 12-11-2016 at 09:41 PM.
Old 12-10-2016, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post

The "standard" (if there is one) first position G shape is 320003. There's no need to fret the B string, as B is part of the Gmaj chord. Learn it, and you'll find it no harder to move from chord to chord. And learn it using ring, middle and pinky fingers, leaving your index finger free to play fills, and easily move to different chords. Learn it right now, and save yourself a lot of frustration later.
Yeah, that's what I am going to try and use - it maintains the Gmaj chord while using a more efficient and easier fingering for me. Thanks for the tip.
Alvarez MD60BG
Yamaha LL16RD
Old 12-11-2016, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post

IMO ... yes, lazy (really, just not aware of the ramifications down the road) ... and no, playing a sus2 when you want a major is not acceptable.
To the OP. The most common way to play an open G is as RustyAxe shows above. However, there is nothing wrong with playing 3x0003 instead. As long as that open A is muted you have a completely legitimate G chord with a root, third and fifth. Adding the B on the fifth string works, but is redundant - it sounds great but isn't strictly needed. Don't let anyone tell you that it is wrong, it's just different. 320033, 320003, 3x0003, and even xx0003 (or xx000x) are all open G major chords with no deficits. Use whichever one works and sounds best under the circumstances given in the song you are playing.

2018 Furch D31TSR
2008 Martin OMCRE
1992 Takamine EAN20C
1996 Fender Telecaster w/ Barden Nashville set
1986 Charvel Model 5
2005 Art & Lutherie Ami
1980ish Hohner copy of a 'burst
Old 12-11-2016, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Not sure that I've ever seen anyone using the 320033 fingering, although it does double the 5th.

Bluegrassers play this quite a bit.
Old 12-12-2016, 03:06 PM

Last edited by Green Craig; 02-19-2017 at 11:36 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write