The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-23-2023, 01:02 PM

Default Growth Mindset: learning and skill development through effort

I've been following this guy's podcasts for a while now, often listening to one while puttering about on a Sunday morning.

I thought this one is very applicable to learning an instrument and playing music.

OMMV

Also available via Apple podcasts. Google Huberman Labs.

Old 07-24-2023, 06:25 AM

Downloaded that pod - thanks.

If you're into neuroscience and learning musical instruments, may I also recommend Dr. Josh Turknett and his Brainjo book/podcasts.
Old 07-26-2023, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarsaune View Post

If you're into neuroscience and learning musical instruments, may I also recommend Dr. Josh Turknett and his Brainjo book/podcasts.
Amongst other subjects. On music and neuroscience I also like neuroscientist Daniel J. Levitin, who wrote "This is Your Brain on Music."
Old 07-27-2023, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
On music and neuroscience I also like neuroscientist Daniel J. Levitin, who wrote "This is Your Brain on Music."
Excellent, I will add that to my reading list.

I've got another for you, then - "Musicophilia: Tales of Music and the Brain" by Oliver Sacks. But I'd guess you've likely already read it.
Old 12-30-2023, 07:58 AM

Quote:

I just got the "Brainjo" book. I expected it to be nonsense, but it's actually remarkably good. It's as though this author went thru my brain and extracted everything I've ever concluded about learning music. Thanks for the recommendation!
Old 12-30-2023, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

I've got another for you, then - "Musicophilia: Tales of Music and the Brain" by Oliver Sacks. But I'd guess you've likely already read it.
I second this book, which I found brilliant and just a bit frightening. The mind and music can be strange bed-fellows.

David

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write