The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-27-2023, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
I like "Half of What I Know" - except that might suggest to listeners that you have no more than a second album in you, to be titled "The Other Half of What I know" And then you're done!
After my first album "A Pretty Good Me", I thought my next albums could be "A Better Me", "A Much Better Me", "A Pretty Awesome Me", etc.

Quote:
If your songs contained a fair amount of humour, then "I Need Fixin'" or "This One's Gonna Hurt" might be good - otherwise they might create false expectation.
Interestingly enough, those two songs are NOT humorous at all.

I changed the name of this one to "I Need Fixin" later

Quote:
Another suggestion would not be one of the song titles, but some resonant or intriguing phrase from one of the lyrics.
A friend of mine did that. "Old Ghosts and Lost Causes" are two phrases from two of her songs on the album. This is one of my favorites off that album.

Old 12-27-2023, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
Wives are always right, you needed think any more about it
Hahahaha! You're right, of course.

Hey, wait a minute. Did my wife pay you to say this?
Old 12-27-2023, 10:40 AM

I love titling things. I even have a thing with my teenager where they read out titles of songs they've listened to and ask me to rate them just as titles. Of course, rating something on a title alone is an arbitrary, subjective game. And while I believe a title can sometimes cause someone to listen to something, there are a lot of successful records with bland, or even bad titles. "Freewheelin' Bob Dylan" would be a latter case in point.

The title doesn't have to be song title, though that choice should come to the fore if you want to promote one song over the others as either the core "concept" of the record or because you think it's the one that will draw in your audience.

You could pick a line from one of the songs (which isn't the song's title), one that you particularly think will draw an audience in. With physical copies of the album which in the old days included a list of song titles that let you have a "bonus" title in effect, one that might draw a listener's interest.

There used to be a trend to pick an unusual word or set of words for a title, maybe not even occurring in any song's lyrics. Those choices would be kind of like "branding" a new product, something you think will stick in a person's mind if they heard it once and might remember later when they might stream or buy your music.

You could go loosy-goosy and carefree with a title. I've titled some things with an offhand phrase someone said during the recording session.

If you want to use one of the song titles, and without considering your aims which I'm not familiar with, I think "Half of What I Know" and "West of Eastland" are the leading candidates. The former may sum up something about what your songs try to do (tell something like "life lessons") and the latter is an intriguing phrase.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

Last edited by FrankHudson; 12-27-2023 at 11:05 AM.
Old 12-27-2023, 10:50 AM

An album naming trick i like that i think is underused is to not take a song title but a short line from one of the songs...got any real good "punchlines?" (Needn't be funny, thats just the best word I can come up with for a killer line)

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 12-27-2023, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

Sunflowers and Sunsets.

Tom
Old 12-30-2023, 01:19 PM

I'll never make an "album" because I think the whole idea is a bucket list exercise that made sense between 1963 and the Internet. But from time to time I think up titles for the album I'll never make, just for fun.

"Vanity Fare"
"Plucked From the Spotlight"
"Thrust Into Obscurity"
"Ex Utero"
"Good, Though"

The last one makes more sense if you know the U. Utah Philips shaggy-dog story that ends with that line. But I think I like it better when you don't.

Couch Standards
Old 12-30-2023, 01:49 PM

12 Songs/Third Album?
"A Dozen on 3"

Lots of good suggestion! Fun thread. Good luck with the latest!
Old 12-30-2023, 02:41 PM

Probably not "This One's Gonna Hurt."
Old 12-31-2023, 07:33 PM

Ideally a title should be eminently memorable, something which sticks with you and reminds you of the songs. There are some really good and some really bad titles out there, both good subjects for other threads.

My first CD was called "Great Hits of the 1600's" (yes, all songs from that century). I'd joked about my "deservedly rare" CD of that name for years and it always drew laughs from the audience, so it seemed only fair I start with that. Subsequent CDs used titles or phrases from the songs inside.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 01-02-2024, 12:21 PM

Use the song title from the song you think is the best one on your album?
Old 01-03-2024, 12:25 AM
Charter Member

I like West of Eastland as an album title. Also, This One's Gonna Hurt appeals to me.

Great titles!

- Glenn
Old 01-03-2024, 09:11 PM

At the moment, I'm thinking "Other Side of Fear".

The front cover would be a picture of me on stage (from behind), exposed to show the stage lit well, with barely perceptible people out in the audience (as is the way it is on most stages I've played) . . . starting out into the darkness, representing the fear of performing on stage.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write