The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-25-2023, 04:39 PM

Default How To Put A Medley Together ?

Merry Christmas Day. I have learned 20 Christmas songs fingerstyle and plan to put them all together in one medley, maybe more. Of course they are in various keys. Any advice on how to string them all together ? C and G being the most common keys. I tend to play almost all of them at slow/medium tempo.
Old 12-25-2023, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

I'm no help with the medley.
Just thought I'd say Merry Christmas from another Ottawan.
Old 12-25-2023, 05:46 PM

In context: I am not a professional arranger, but I have done many of my own arrangements including medleys. I am a fingerstylist--I do not sing. I have some basic rules I follow, and for this discussion I will use Christmas examples.

1. I keep the medleys of manageable length. Usually two but never more than three tunes.

2. Some of the carol lyrics have two different tunes. Away in a Manger has Mueller and Cradle. You can put those in the same key and play back to back as a medley. O Little Town of Bethlehem has St Louis and Forest Green.

3. Sometimes I mix tunes which involve the related major and minor keys. I might have a G major tune followed by E minor followed by another G major. C major and A minor would work the same.

4. Your question on moving from one key to the next involves modulation. That can get into complicated theory. My rule of thumb is that I use the V7 chord of the target key as my final transition chord. So lets say that I am in the key of C going to G (It Came Upon going to First Noel). The arrangement I have of It Came uses C, F, and G progression. So I would end the tune on a C and then could modulate over 2 measures: 2 beats of C (I or root chord) 2 beats of F (IV chord) 2 beats of C and then two beats of D7 (V7 chord of the target key of G)--then start playing First Noel in the key of G. There are many formulae for doing modulations (ii-V7-I comes to mind). You can search the internet for more complete explanations than what I have given.

5. Don't forget about introductions and endings. There are various ways to tag these on to make the arrangement interesting. You can always use the last phrase of a tune as an intro. Sometimes for an ending I repeat the last phrase at half tempo. Etc, etc. Experiment.

Again, I am NOT a professional, but my stuff seems to work for me and folks who (infrequently) hear me play in public.

Good luck.

Jon D
Old 12-25-2023, 05:49 PM
Charter Member

There are no rules for key changes in a tune "set" or medley. There are some changes that work well for dance tunes like D, Em, G but you can get away with many others, even a one tone step can add energy. Dance tune sets are all in the same rhythm, but you will be switching rhythm as well as key. It would be worth simply experimenting with different combinations and seeing what works.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 12-25-2023, 08:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pf400 View Post
Merry Christmas Day. I have learned 20 Christmas songs fingerstyle and plan to put them all together in one medley, maybe more. Of course they are in various keys. Any advice on how to string them all together ? C and G being the most common keys. I tend to play almost all of them at slow/medium tempo.
My suggestion:

Arrange the pieces (not all twenty in one go hopefully) one after the other but each separate. Perhaps some overlap between pieces if a smooth
and short transition given the keys, moods and tempos allows that.

I did a short medly of some of my compositions that were on one of my CDs but did not do it as ambitiously as I think you have in mind doing
but just did short fade outs between a part of each tune keeping the last tune a longer excerpt as a way to end things.

https://dcoombsguitar.com/Guitar%20M...tOutMedley.mp3

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

Last edited by rick-slo; 12-25-2023 at 09:05 PM.
Old 12-26-2023, 07:59 AM

Listen to side 2 of Abbey Road.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 12-26-2023, 11:14 AM

Just keep them all short.
Old 12-26-2023, 11:52 AM

Thanks all. Hey Rick your guitar sounds very close to mine (Martin GCPA4). I like the idea of fading out of one tune and into another.
Old 12-27-2023, 06:12 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I had done a very simple medley below. Maybe group your tunes by tempo?

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 12-27-2023, 11:07 PM

The important thing in putting together a medley is to make sure all the songs are thematically related.

For example:

Do You Wanna Dance
Do You Really Want to Hurt Me
Do You Know the Way to San Jose
Old 12-27-2023, 11:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
The important thing in putting together a medley is to make sure all the songs are thematically related.
That is an option as is a diverse assortment.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 12-31-2023, 07:49 PM

I prefer to not have more than 3 tunes in a medley and don't want too many of them in a set. A little goes a long way. Usually, I like them to stay in the same key and meter; it transitions easier that way, with less shock to the listener. But these are rules made to be broken.

Charlie Poole had a couple of medleys with way too many different melodies in them. And they worked: these were compendiums of well-known songs of the time and the audience got involved with figuring out their names before he went to the next one. To be less confusing both to the band and the those listening, he stayed in G and kept the same speed and meter.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write