The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-25-2014, 02:00 PM

Default Indian Rosewood Question

The IRW we see on acoustic guitars - has it been stained for enhancement or is that the original, natural color?

Please excuse the dumb question but I just never thought about it. Thanks.
Old 11-25-2014, 02:20 PM

Many finishes will darken the natural colour of wood a little. Otherwise, that is the natural colour of Indian rosewood - a dark purplish brown.
Old 11-25-2014, 02:25 PM

Like many woods IRW comes in a fairly wide range of colors. I was told at one point that at least one manufacturer bleaches all their IRW to lighten the color, and make it easier to match up sides and backs. Keep in mind, too, that different finishes can bring out the color of wood differently. Finally; all woods fade to brown eventually, no matter what color they were to begin with. Again, the rate at which they fade, and the color they end up, will depend on the finish as well as the wood, and things like light exposure.

That said, I don't see much, if any, staining of IRW in guitars. Mahogany, OTOH, is quite generally finished with some sort of red color, sometimes pretty garish. I guess it's supposed to make Honduras mahogany look like Caribbean mahogany, but usually it just looks fake to me. Too bad; Honduras mahogany with a nice clear finish can be really attractive: the red just muddies it up.
Old 11-25-2014, 03:53 PM

Thanks a lot guys!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair