The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-23-2014, 06:15 PM

Default Gibson B25 tuners

Hi,

Posted this on the general thread but not getting many bites. I wanted to put original style upgrades on my '67 B25. I put Pings on there long ago and don't remember what the original tuners were. I assumed they were maybe Klusons but I now I don't think so. None of the holes line up, the outline in the finish is wrong for any Klusons I think, and I don't see screw holes for original Kluson strip tuners. Also, I wanted to cover up the old work of some impatient kid...lol

Any guesses as to what tuners fit that outline in the finish?
Old 07-23-2014, 06:32 PM

They appear to be cheap imported tuners with the diagonal baseplate.
These are similar, except the originals probably had metal buttons.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4pc-Black-Bu...item27dc535638

Although these appear to have the mirror image baseplates, this type of tuner can be switched around by disassembling them and flipping the worm gear over.
Klusons were used on most Gibsons, but I have seen these types of tuners on small body Gibsons from the late-1960's. I suppose that was because Kluson could not keep up with the demand.

I know I have seen those tuners on a B25 before, but the nearest thing I could find on the Net is a 1967 Epiphone FT-45, which was made by Gibson.

Last edited by John Arnold; 07-23-2014 at 06:50 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:41 PM

DING DING DING...yes, I think those were the tuners. I changed them out in probably 1991.

Thanks much for at least solving the mystery!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair