The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-17-2017, 10:17 AM

I didn't think it would work, and a lot of people say it is BS, but I tried one of those "copper infused" compression sleeves, and it really did seem to help a lot.
Old 12-17-2017, 10:52 AM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwood View Post
Dustin, I've had both tennis and golfer's elbow, lateral and medial epicondylitis. I'm not one to sit and rest much of anything, and here is what I found that works and then helps to prevent it. First thing is to buy a Theraband Flexbar
https://www.amazon.com/TheraBand-Res...+flexbar&psc=1 and then follow the regimen on this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we4UoiKG3Co. There are several other videos and instructions on how to use the Flexbar as well. It works!!

This is the advice I would have posted, if I had seen this thread earlier.

It *is* important to *not* overdo this, and also to consider letting a lot (or all) of the inflammation heal before use of the Flexbar.

Also, in the UK one can find OTC topical ibuprofen gel (10% is the max. strength, up from a few years ago) which can help calm things down locally, without putting systemic medication into your body.

Lastly, and much to my recent amazement, one can purchase medical-grade DMSO on Amazon. I don't have time to go into the details of this, but DMSO can be used as a stand-alone, or in careful-conjunction with other substances.

I am currently using DMSO by itself, and also (from time to time) with the 10% topical ibuprofen gel for lateral epicondylitis.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 12-17-2017, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

Two things that helped me the most were:

***Stretching my shoulders back and down (retract)

I used (and still use) one of those elastic exercise bands. Proper posture in the shoulders helps keep the stress off of my elbow. I check and correct my posture about a dozen times a day.

***Paying attention to how hard I was squeezing my left hand on the fret board.

I practiced using the weight of my arm as often as possible to fret the strings. The muscles of my forearm and hands, I try to use, to just shape my fingers. I didn't realize how much unnecessary stress I was subjecting to my hand and forearm, until I began to pay attention.

I use the classical players sitting position, when playing, almost exclusively since my injury. This position allows my left hand to move more efficiently and with less stress.

Massage, finger stretches, hand stretches, and ibruprofen all helped but the technique changes and shoulder positon seemed to be most important in my case.
Old 12-18-2017, 01:29 AM

I’ve dealt with various tendonitis issues in both arms over the years, related to the very physical aspect of my job (pro gardener). Those arm bands do help a lot for tennis elbow. I wore those on both arms for months when I first started working. But it does take a lot of rest and massage and gentle stretching. I use Blue Emu cream, topically, for pain. Also, as you get over the inflammation, it might be worth it to spend some time regularly on arm strength training. It certainly has reduced carpal tunnel issues and the risk of tendonitis or tenosynovitis for me.

Also, this is assuming you actually have only tennis elbow and not other issues that can have similar symptoms. Check your back, underlying your shoulder blade. Sometimes there can be muscle lockup that can aggravate the elbow issue. It can be subtle until you put pressure on it. If this is the case, and you don’t have a friend or massage therapist to help, if you put a tennis ball in a long tube sock, you can lean against a wall with the ball between your back and the wall and work out the knots.

Hope this helps a little. And hope you heal up quickly!
1986 Charvel Model 3A electric

2001 Fender Jazz standard bass
1935 A-00 Gibson mandolin
1815 JG Hamm violin
Kelii soprano ukulele
Old 12-18-2017, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustinfurlow View Post
Reared it’s ugly head on me this past Sunday after helping my mom move a bunch of heavy furniture up and down three flights of stairs..followed by several gigs since then which included setting up and tearing down equipment..
I passed it off as just a sore forearm from moving but it’s gotten to be an annoyance when lifting or gripping stuff (thankfully doesn’t hurt much at all while playing, for now...)

Would be interested to hear from some of you who have dealt with this and what you found was helpful. I know I oughta see a doctor but if just a bunch of stretches and maybe taking a week or two off playing serious gigs would take care of it that’d be great to hear but I’ve heard mixed things. Thanks in advance.
I had this Justin and I hope I am not going to tempt fate by saying it has now gone. I got it from decorating my home ie painting with a roller.

Despite visiting a physio and doing the exercises as advised it did not help me. I then had a steroid injection that cleared it but it came back after 3 months. So eventually I had second injection and, touch wood, that seems to have cured it and has been clear now for over a year.

The whole process described above (drastically shortened here!!) was over a two year period so not a quick fix I'm afraid.

I tried resting from guitar playing but I decided it didn't help

Good luck.

Phil Taylor

'Rivers and Trees' - April 2021. https://philiptaylor1.bandcamp.com/a...vers-and-trees

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNx...0XtP04PcL8HN4Q
Old 12-18-2017, 06:45 AM

Not for tennis elbow, but I've recently had excellent experiences with acupuncture for two different ailments. First time at 67, but I'm a convert.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 12-18-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Reared it’s ugly head on me this past Sunday after helping my mom move a bunch of heavy furniture up and down three flights of stairs..followed by several gigs since then which included setting up and tearing down equipment..
I passed it off as just a sore forearm from moving but it’s gotten to be an annoyance when lifting or gripping stuff (thankfully doesn’t hurt much at all while playing, for now...)

Would be interested to hear from some of you who have dealt with this and what you found was helpful. I know I oughta see a doctor but if just a bunch of stretches and maybe taking a week or two off playing serious gigs would take care of it that’d be great to hear but I’ve heard mixed things. Thanks in advance.
My Wife and I were in the Med/Surge business for many years.
We provided in suite Platelet Rich Plasma( Stem Cell therapy) to many patients. Find a Dr. in your area who has done this procedure and uses BioMet equipment and disposables.
Your tennis Elbow will be gone within 36 hours, and may never return.
I have had the treatment both for Tennis Elbow and Plantar Fascitis.
IT WORKS. Search for PRP or Platelet Rich Plasma or Stem Cell Therapy.

Life is a journey...not a guided tour...
Old 12-18-2017, 11:32 AM

I've had a few bouts of tennis elbow from playing tennis over the years. About half the time, a couple weeks off fixes the problem. Last summer was really bad though. I laid off tennis for a few months and guitar for about a month. I iced my elbow a couple times a day. I wear a forearm band when I play tennis now and I do believe it helps. Never tried wearing it for guitar but I suppose that with a sleeve over it could work.

You could also try a chiropractor. In one case, a chiropractor was able to adjust my elbow to relieve the strain. Last summer, my chiropractor told me the elbow joint was stable and in good position so an adjustment wouldn't help.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

I join the others in wishing you a satisfactory outcome in the shortest possible time.

I'm dealing with different issues that are also keeping me sidelined from playing at the moment and for a few more weeks at least.

That fickle finger of fate does like to poke us when we're least interested!!

good luck to you!

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 12-18-2017, 12:19 PM

I tried nearly everything for chronic tennis elbow, including shots, PT, and even surgery. None of it worked for me.

I got 100 % better (and stayed better) by following the advice in Dr. John Sarno's books. I would recommend "The Mindbody Prescritpion", but any of them are good.
https://www.amazon.com/Mindbody-Pres...dr.+john+sarno

It also cured me of my chronic back problems. Some people consider his treatment controversial, but for the life of me I don't know why. It has more basis in science than many of the treatments that are often recommended.

Good luck in your quest to get better!!
Old 12-18-2017, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

I had this condition about 20 years ago.It occurred as a result of repetitive straining, aggravated by windsurfing and motorcycle riding.
My condition was very bothersome and did not respond to conservative therapy .

As I was an active surgeon at the time,I needed resolution.

Underwent surgery for it and really I have had no recurrence of pain at all in the past 20 years.

I would not recommend repeat steroid injections.Those may cause atrophy of the tissues in the tendon.

Perhaps there are better conservative therapies today,but surgery worked well for me.
Old 12-23-2017, 01:15 AM
Charter Member

Want to thank you all very, very much for all the input. After 48 hrs with the Theraband Flexbar I can say it has helped IMMENSELY along with occasional ibuprofen, using the other arm for anything strenuous, and getting a little "tennis elbow band" from Walgreens.

You all are the best for pitching in advice and helping me out here as fellow guitarists!

Happy holidays.

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com
Old 12-23-2017, 07:56 AM

Glad to hear it Dustin! Keep at it and it will only get better!
Old 01-16-2018, 12:16 AM
Charter Member

Resurrecting this post again, one last time, to give an update to people that may run into this: the red Theraband Flexbar helped me quite a bit the first few weeks, just did the exercises in the YouTube videos provided on the products manual, and they definitely reduced the sensitivity to lifting small things like the everyday coffee mug and whatnot...was feeling real progress until it didn’t feel like it was doing much anymore, resistance wise...the real difference came when I got the green one which is a little thicker and is meant to strengthen the damaged tendon further. Just about 90% there now! Only hurts to make a tight fist now.

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com
Old 01-16-2018, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Resurrecting this post again, one last time, to give an update to people that may run into this: the red Theraband Flexbar helped me quite a bit the first few weeks, just did the exercises in the YouTube videos provided on the products manual, and they definitely reduced the sensitivity to lifting small things like the everyday coffee mug and whatnot...was feeling real progress until it didn’t feel like it was doing much anymore, resistance wise...the real difference came when I got the green one which is a little thicker and is meant to strengthen the damaged tendon further. Just about 90% there now! Only hurts to make a tight fist now.
Good to hear you're on the mend.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic