The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-16-2017, 12:39 AM
Charter Member

Default The dreaded Tennis Elbow

Reared it’s ugly head on me this past Sunday after helping my mom move a bunch of heavy furniture up and down three flights of stairs..followed by several gigs since then which included setting up and tearing down equipment..
I passed it off as just a sore forearm from moving but it’s gotten to be an annoyance when lifting or gripping stuff (thankfully doesn’t hurt much at all while playing, for now...)

Would be interested to hear from some of you who have dealt with this and what you found was helpful. I know I oughta see a doctor but if just a bunch of stretches and maybe taking a week or two off playing serious gigs would take care of it that’d be great to hear but I’ve heard mixed things. Thanks in advance.

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com
Old 12-16-2017, 02:03 AM

From my experience a couple of weeks will be insufficient.
Being a repetitive strain you just have to stop doing what .. repetitively strains it. I guess you know that.

Again from my experience, the anti inflammatory offerings that are available can be a big help and I'd sure recommend you get some good advice on that.

Is it possible to slow down and monitor your gear lugging movements? .. and I'd hope that guitar technique is not essentially harmful to that part of your anatomy.

Good luck, and I hope to read that you've had success modifying the offending movements.

Russ
Old 12-16-2017, 02:45 AM
Charter Member

I have recurring elbow tendinitis. Some Iburofin for the pain and inflammation and one of these when you play or have pain should take care of your problem. If they don't see your doctor. When moving your forearm muscles, the pain often manifests itself on top, and that can be misleading. You want to apply pressure wth your fingers in the area on your elbow just below and above where the two bones meet - you should be able to find where the inflammation is by the pain from pressure (as opposed to movement), then make sure the pressure point of the strap is across the point where you found the inflammation. It seemed ridiculous to me that the strap works when I first started using it, but it does.

BTW, this tendonitis can often be caused by repetitive motion like typing on a keyboard, playing PS4 (guilty!) or other activities not associated with playing guitar. So think about what you do and wear the strap anytime it may apply and you are feeling discomfort. Unless you have severe pain, I disagree that you need to stop playing. You just need to support the injured area.

Again, see your doctor if the pain persists.

Last edited by robey; 12-16-2017 at 08:48 AM.
Old 12-16-2017, 04:26 AM
Charter Member

Advil and ice, and that strap as shown above all help.

But don't think it will be gone next week. I've had it a couple of times and it always takes 5-6 months to go away.
Old 12-16-2017, 06:06 AM

I play tennis and get tennis elbow on occasion when I change racquets and/or strings. The only true remedy that has worked for me is rest. I see people wear the arm band all the time, but have never tried it. You may want to try exercises that strenghthen the muscle. That seems to work for some. It is annoying and the muscle reinjures easily.
Old 12-16-2017, 06:14 AM
Charter Member

The straps help a lot. Ibuprophen and ice helps. But the best thing I tried was acupuncture.

I'm a retired heavy construction carpenter and one time I had it so bad that it would wake me up at night. One session with the acupuncturist and it was almost cure, two visit and it was gone. Another guy on that job had it and he was also helped very much.

For the things that acupuncture works for, it works very well. Give it a try.
Old 12-16-2017, 07:38 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I had tennis elbow (lateral epicondylitis). IT was traumatic: I was moving a monitor speaker and it ripped with a physical sound like the twang of a screen door spring.* The pain became pretty bad so I went to my doctor. Here's what he told me: Tennis elbow is caused by injury to the places where the muscle connects to the bone. Those anchor points have been ripped, and the only way to let them heal is to take pressure off them. That is where the band comes in. You place the band just past the anchor point and create a false anchor point that allows the real anchor point to rest and heal. You need to keep the band on all the time and it needs to be as tight as possible without cutting off circulation. Initially, you need to avoid extra exercise and flexure to simply let the anchor points heal. Eventually you can begin exercising using THESE exercises with the band still on. You can use a can of soup instead of the dumbell if you don't want to spend the money.

Additionally, there is a side issue to consider: Were you on a
fluoroquinolone-class antibiotic such as Cipro when the injury occurred? Doctors and pharmacists sometimes forget to tell you that Cipro can cause ruptures in tendons while it is being administered. Another one of my doctors was on the study the came to this conclusion. As a result of their findings, the FDA now has required a black box warning on these meds (Cipro, Cipro XR, Proquin XR, Levaquin, Floxin, Noroxin, Avelox, Factive, and marketed generics) that warns you against strenuous work while on the med. More HERE. MY rupture occurred while I was on Cipro.

Oh, and while I was recovering (about five months) it was really hard to play guitar.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 12-16-2017, 07:52 AM

Dustin, I've had both tennis and golfer's elbow, lateral and medial epicondylitis. I'm not one to sit and rest much of anything, and here is what I found that works and then helps to prevent it. First thing is to buy a Theraband Flexbar
https://www.amazon.com/TheraBand-Res...+flexbar&psc=1 and then follow the regimen on this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we4UoiKG3Co. There are several other videos and instructions on how to use the Flexbar as well. It works!!
Old 12-16-2017, 08:02 AM

The Theraband Flexbar was very helpful to me when I was playing racquetball and hitting it 100mph every shot. It takes a while to build up the strength, but it's the only long term solution I found. They come in different strengths.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 12-16-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL View Post
Advil and ice, and that strap as shown above all help.

But don't think it will be gone next week. I've had it a couple of times and it always takes 5-6 months to go away.
I had it this year for the first time. Took all summer and then some to get past the pain.
What helped me the most was ice and an arm brace. I used a larger one than is pictured in the post above.

Long story short, time is the healer as long as you don't continue to aggravate the situation.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwood View Post
Dustin, I've had both tennis and golfer's elbow, lateral and medial epicondylitis. I'm not one to sit and rest much of anything, and here is what I found that works and then helps to prevent it. First thing is to buy a Theraband Flexbar
https://www.amazon.com/TheraBand-Res...+flexbar&psc=1 and then follow the regimen on this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we4UoiKG3Co. There are several other videos and instructions on how to use the Flexbar as well. It works!!
Thank you!! Just nabbed it from Amazon

Old 12-16-2017, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
The straps help a lot. Ibuprophen and ice helps. But the best thing I tried was acupuncture.

I'm a retired heavy construction carpenter and one time I had it so bad that it would wake me up at night. One session with the acupuncturist and it was almost cure, two visit and it was gone. Another guy on that job had it and he was also helped very much.

For the things that acupuncture works for, it works very well. Give it a try.
Thank you bud! I may try this if the rest and exercise yield little results..

Old 12-16-2017, 09:52 AM

I have the same thing going on right now. I was a plumber for many years, and I injured it initially from turning wrenches. I wear a band like the one pictured above. After awhile, it goes away. Sucks while it's around, though - I have a tendency to drop whatever is in my hand without warning.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
La Michoacana Classical (my Dad's guitar)
Beat to heck Seagull S6
Ovation Celebrity 12 string
Fender CD 60 dread that lives in Greece
Harmonicas in a Farmer rack
Old 12-16-2017, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

Hi Dustin,

I have had trouble with my elbows over the years, especially my right elbow, because I am right handed. As you have noted, tennis elbow really didn't affect my ability to play guitar; it was caused by other physical activities. In my case, I was grabbing pieces of fairly heavy firewood by the end with my one hand to stack the wood. I stopped doing this and the problem went away. It took a while to get better though.

I wore an elbow brace for a while; I don't know if it actually helped or not.

Best of luck on this...

- Glenn
Old 12-16-2017, 10:09 AM

I've had a severe case of it. The pain while setting the hook on a largemouth bass just about dumped me out of the boat. And other activities were no fun. Pain. It was bad.

I explained my symptoms to the doctor and he said it was a classic case of tennis elbow. He got the long needle out and filled the syringe with cortizone. He stuck me in 3 or 4 areas. In 2 or 3 days the pain was gone. Gone.!! I had a return visit and I said it was like a miracle and he said "No. It's medicine."

Those arm straps are great... for carpal tunnel. Tennis elbow isn't carpal tunnel. And time won't heal it.

Talk to your doctor.

I would like to add this... Dustin, you are a gifted player. Your playing is a gift to many. Take these nagging "injuries" seriously. In this case, taking your experience to an online forum for advice is the wrong approach. You have a fabulous future if you take care yourself. Form a good relationship with your doctor. And get well soon.

Last edited by 3notes; 12-16-2017 at 10:17 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic