The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-04-2017, 05:57 PM

Default Advice to Land first Gig

I've been playing a lot of open mics and local events like art shows, and marinas in my area. I just did a 4 hour gig for about 80 people and many people approached me to ask my name and where they could see me play next. I even had a working musician ask me to come up on stage at their next gig and play a couple songs with them. I have never played professionally or even thought I was good enough, but I keep getting this reaction when I play out at these types of events. I have never thought people might pay me to play somewhere. Now I wonder? My music is not your typical bar fare. I play stuff like Ray Whylie Hubbard, Guy Clark, Towns Van Zant, a few classics like The Gambler, Mack the Knife, some Irish songs, a little "red dirt" and Steeldrivers stuff,Tom Waits and some decent blues. etc. But these audiences seem to really like it. My guitar playing isn't fancy, but my rhythm is good and my fingerpicking decent. Mostly I get a few nice compliments on my voice. I am 61 and seem to be able to carry a tune. So, before I get carried away and think I can play out for money, any suggestions? I may be setting myself up for a fall, but I'd like to give it a go at leased once? I have 45 + songs, can play 2 hours straight, 15 min. Break and another 2 hours. Is this enough you think.? Oh, and I have all my own equipment for a solo gig. How does one approach an establishment?
Old 11-04-2017, 07:40 PM

It would be cool to have asked the folks who were asking "where next?" what type of establishments might be appropriate. Network with the people who are interested and enjoy live music locally, if you have any contact.
Old 11-04-2017, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbn73 View Post
It would be cool to have asked the folks who were asking "where next?" what type of establishments might be appropriate. Network with the people who are interested and enjoy live music locally, if you have any contact.
I wasn't thinking too logically I guess. I was just thrilled that some people thought I was a working musician. When I explained I don't play anywhere I just got a confused look from them.
Old 11-04-2017, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsstrider View Post
I wasn't thinking too logically I guess. I was just thrilled that some people thought I was a working musician. When I explained I don't play anywhere I just got a confused look from them.
I understand. Ask some folks. Do some basic networking at open mics, jams etc. Make a YouTube video every week with one of your favorite tunes to play. Include keywords about your availability locally, how to get in touch, and where you are located.

I'm sure others have better ideas as well.
Old 11-04-2017, 09:38 PM

It certainly seems that you have plenty of music to play and the fact that you have all of your own gear really is fantastic. I would recommend you record yourself playing a song or two that way you can send potential gigs a sound sample. This will make them feel better about making a commitment. Other than that, its all about networking. Check the paper for gigs or go to a local music store that has a bulletin board. These boards will have potential gigs or at the very least show you where live music takes place.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:54 PM

Approach the owners/managers of the venues you want to play in. During daylight hours, before the rush. Tell them you'd like a gig. First find out what other players are getting in your area - DON'T underbid the gigging musicians in your town.
Old 11-04-2017, 11:14 PM
Charter Member

I'm 66 now... and I've been performing for nearly 50 years, doing mostly solo acoustic guitar and voice... Just laying the groundwork for my "Old School" approach to gigs...

I TALK WITH THEM, FACE TO FACE! What an idea, I know... nowadays, so many folks want to do all the work online, using various methods for "demos", but I make it a point to go to the venue, check it out, talk with the folks who work there about the kinds of music they have, and talk with the manager/booking person, face-to-face, whenever possible.

I ask them what they want, what they're looking for... and if I do that, then I proceed about getting into their rotation, on their schedule. If what they want is something I DON'T do, then I tell them that, as well...

Used to be, when I was younger, I would say ANYTHING to get the gig, and then deal with the fall-out the night-of... Now I feel that everyone will be a lot happier if they get what they want...

So, go to a place that you want to play, and talk with them about it. Tell them what you do, what music you play, whether you can bring a bunch of friends in to hear you... and take it from there. Have a fee amount in mind, but I usually ask them what they pay for a solo act... and then negotiate upwards if necessary (or possible!); my experience tells me that it's very difficult to ask for MORE money after I've started at a lower rate...

Good luck!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 11-04-2017, 11:45 PM

With 2 hours of covers and positive audience response, there's no question you could PLAY the gig if you landed it. It's a great selling point, you've got material.

Some suggestions if money is no object:

Do any of the open-mic venues you play have music other nights as well? Do they have a "featured act" at some point in the show? Since you already know the venues and the folks, you might want to explore those places first. See if you can be the "headliner" at an open mic night.

In my neck of the woods, on the cofeehouse/acoustic circuit, there are a lot of multi-act shows -- two or three artists sharing the same bill, booked in advance and (hopefully) advertised. The way to get booked at one of those is, basically, to get invited. If you're out at the open mics, ask the better performers or the pros about the shows they play. If they're headlining something, maybe they can get you booked on the same bill. And find out who books the shows. Sometimes it's the venue, but sometimes local musicians will act as bookers for shows. Get to know those folks.

The coffehouse gigs are small audiences and little pay. If you think there are more popular places where your music would work, check the clubs too. The myth is, you can shop a demo around at the clubs and maybe get booked on an off night -- just to get a foot in the door. But usually, you have to assure the owners that you can bring in a certain amount of people. And if you don't bring in the bodies, you don't get booked again. But if you do bring them in, you get your cut of the door, and it's usually better pay than you get from tips and merch at the coffee gallery. And, you get to come back again.

So, that route is kind of a Catch 22. You've got to have some name recognition to get booked, but how do you get the name recognition if you don't get booked? You may need to play the low- to no-pay places for a while before moving to more rewarding venues.

And speaking of money:

Some suggestions if you want to make money:

The best paying gigs I've ever had, by far, have been private functions and special events. As a solo, classical guitarist, I often play church services, receptions and cocktail parties, open-houses at fancy homes, that sort of thing. For the acoustic singer/songwriter stuff it's been mostly music and food festivals (indoors and out) where I've made any money in the last few years.

At a private gig, having a couple of hours of material could come in handy. How do you get booked for those gigs? Word of mouth, reputation, visibility, knowing the booker, all that stuff. And as with ALL of these suggestions, it's mostly about networking. If you're going to play locally, you need to be hooked into the local musicians' community.

Hope this helps. You've done the work, developed the act, and I wish you nothing but success.

Last edited by Guitar Slim II; 11-05-2017 at 02:21 AM.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:41 AM

Thanks folks, lots of good info. Yesterday I played an Art show in a small warehouse open to the public. Must have had 80 or more people wandering through. I brought my own equipment and played from 11 to 2 with a 15 min break. The various artists were on hand to talk with the people. Many wandered in because the heard the music and then realized it was an art show. Lol. Anyway, lots of compliments, professional photographer took my picture and is sending. He said he mostly does Rock Bands, and but just got back from Colorado and my music reminded him of what he heard out there. (I am mid Atlantic coast). I should have taken the time to network, especially with the artists. I'll know better next time. I do think that the private venue might be the ticket.
Old 11-05-2017, 11:39 AM

What got my foot in the door was offering something different. Where I live (and everywhere I suspect) there are 1000's of guitar players. Several hundred are able to get up and do a standard-singer-songwriter-with-a-guitar gig. And, they all sound pretty much the same.

I started playing mandolin almost 10 years back. A friend wanted me to play an open mic with him. The host (well known musician locally) hadn't heard anyone doing anything besides bluegrass on mandolin and asked me to sit in with his band next time. This led to several band and duo gigs with him. The exposure (cringe) and unique angle (only mando-guitar duo in the area) led to more gigs and I sat in with other bands. One gig I brought a fiddle as well (no one knew I played) and it went over great. There were and are several players in my area that can play fiddle and mando better, but they're strictly bluegrass and pretty much play only at home, church and our monthly BG jams. So I filled a void that no one even knew existed. I really don't think I'd play as much or have as much fun if I had just stuck with guitar.

Since then I've landed several farmers market and restaurant gigs pretty much on word of mouth. These have led to corporate and private parties, too. My angle is still obscure/unknown songs on obscure instruments (octave mandolin, mandocello, 5 string fiddle, octave fiddle, hardanger fiddle, banjolin, etc.). It works for me, but music is a hobby and not a profession in my case. I still have a full time job and all. I'd rather play with others in a duo or trio, but its pretty hard for me to find other musicians in my area who are interested in music off the beaten path. Anyway, sounds like you're off to a good start, and all the best to you!
Old 11-05-2017, 12:32 PM

You have already gotten good advice, let me throw in my .02

Build a simple website with audio clips. They can go straight to their phone, look you up and listen. Cheaper and easier than making and handing out demo CD's.

Check ours out. Easy to build and cost is about 50 bucks a year. Good luck, you sound more than ready to me.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 11-05-2017, 01:12 PM
Charter Member

Our duo's experience has been similar to Mandobart-I'm the mandolin player here and also play harmonica and guitar. This gives the two of us a unique sound and a great deal of flexibility that seems to appeal to a wide range of folks. In addition to this, I can literally play around with 'what instrument do I want to play on this tune...today' Sure it's caused the occasional pile up-but my theory about live music is somewhat like the old school stock car races-one reason some people come to watch is that there might be an interesting accident!
Old 11-05-2017, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
You have already gotten good advice, let me throw in my .02

Build a simple website with audio clips. They can go straight to their phone, look you up and listen. Cheaper and easier than making and handing out demo CD's.

Check ours out.

Easy to build and cost is about 50 bucks a year. Good luck, you sound more than ready to me.
and my .02 in support of this ^^^^,

our site of Weebly.com is just this and the fee is less than $50 a year (just wait until the 'free' offer is about to expire until you pay rather than paying up front that they'll give you a deal)

we're at oekb.weebly.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write