The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-02-2017, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silurian View Post
The emotional impact of the song is central. For me voice, lyric and melody are all in the mix, but the virtuosity, or lack of, in the guitar playing is the least important factor for me.
See, I'm pretty much the total opposite, I guess, because I'm just not a very emotional person and things usually don't affect me the way they do others - I'm very stoic. I suppose it all comes down to life experience and what one has been forced to lived through. This is all getting too philosophical to suit me - back to guitars!!!!
Old 09-02-2017, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Then with all your experience life and music,surely you will realise that not all of us have the same talents and drives.

I remember once asking my dobro player to back off in certain parts of the song because he was playing over important parts of the story line of the song. He replied "Oh I never listen to vocals" For a fine musician with even more experience than me, I found it bemusing to remind him that all the instruments are there to back up the singer.

I trust that your guitar skills have the sensitivity when playing with your vocalists to augment rather than interfere.
Never had any complaints - I do know that, sometimes, it's not what you play but what you DON'T play that's important. I can usually 'read' a singer pretty well and know when to back off. I still don't really pay much attention to lyrics, though.
Old 09-02-2017, 12:40 PM

I'm aspiring to be a player who sings but I'm still a singer who plays
Buscarino Starlight nylon, Martin 000C-RGTE, Godin nylon duet ambiance, Breedlove Bossa Nova, cedar/EIR, Breedlove SC-20, cedar/walnut, Ovation Nylon LX1773, CA Cargo, CA GX, Larrivee 00-03, sitka/hog
Old 09-02-2017, 02:28 PM

everyone has their own skill levels. some may be better singers than guitar players and some may be better guitar players than singers and SOME may excel at both.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 09-02-2017, 02:35 PM

A good song is a good song. That being said, I somewhat gravitate towards people who sing songs that they wrote.
Old 09-02-2017, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
Martin Simpson is a wonderful guitar player and also does a great job accompanying singers.
Jayne, I do hope you are not implying that Martin is not a first rate singer in his own, (albeit somewhat idiosyncratic) , right ?

Slightly off topic, I know, but I seem to recollect starting a thread some years ago, concerning virtuoso guitarists who were also stellar vocalists.

My recollection is that I only came up with three names....the late Isaac Guillory was undoubtedly the undisputed number one ... Vince Gill was another ....I can't remember who the third was .
Old 09-02-2017, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
Jayne, I do hope you are not implying that Martin is not a first rate singer in his own, (albeit somewhat idiosyncratic) , right ? .

No, as I have always liked Martin's voice. I was just thinking more of the outstanding job he always did accompanying June Tabor. Martin is a fine songwriter and song interpreter. One of my favorites.

Best,
Jayne
Old 09-02-2017, 03:11 PM

Although I appreciate both instrumental and vocal virtuosity, those attributes are independent regarding which songs or performances I enjoy.

As previously stated, a good song is a good song.

I have recordings by musicians that, while technically proficient, once I get past the "Wow! How'd he do that?" (Or "I wish I could do that ) I find that there's not much worth listening to.

In my college days I heard a cautionary tale about composing/performing "music for musicians." That does not mean dumbing the music down, but rather serving the needs of the music and not adding difficulty and virtuosity merely to impress one's colleagues.

Sometimes a song works best with only three strummed chords.

Of course it's always nice if the singer can carry a tune and plays the right three chords.
Old 09-02-2017, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
Jayne, I do hope you are not implying that Martin is not a first rate singer in his own, (albeit somewhat idiosyncratic) , right ?

Slightly off topic, I know, but I seem to recollect starting a thread some years ago, concerning virtuoso guitarists who were also stellar vocalists.

My recollection is that I only came up with three names....the late Isaac Guillory was undoubtedly the undisputed number one ... Vince Gill was another ....I can't remember who the third was .
Plus one for Isaac. I loved that guy - Not only a compleat singer and player but a true gentleman. He it was who lent me his D35-s just before he went on stage to show me the benefits of a 12 fret dread.

Last edited by Silly Moustache; 09-04-2017 at 04:56 AM.
Old 09-02-2017, 03:58 PM

Don't have a preference myself. I just like music, whether its a single instrument or a full orchestra. Just focusing on one particular instrument can be fine for an evening, but would get pretty boring fast. I particularly like live jazz, a good set of players who feed off each other and instinctively know when to turn up, or fade back, is a beautiful thing to experience. And someone with a really good voice, who can really sing, is just awesome!

When I'm playing by myself I like to sing because it helps me keep my place in the song. My voice is terrible though and I can't sing in key, so I wouldn't consider it an instrument.... well at least not a working one😉

Jeff
Old 09-02-2017, 04:07 PM

There two kinds of guitar players - those also sing, and those who wish they did.

Now that ought to stir the pot.....

For example- Eric Clapton, a singer who accompanies himself with a guitar - and quite well, in the estimation of most.....
Seagull Natural Elements Dreadnaught
Taylor 418e
Taylor 514ce LTD
Old 09-02-2017, 05:44 PM
Charter Member

Can't sing at all and never could. So, I tend to be much more into instrumental guitar performances. I recognize that puts me in the minority, and that's fine. I do however appreciate someone who can really sing well.

Dave
Old 09-02-2017, 07:23 PM

I guess the title of this thread is asking which I prefer.

I like a decent set of playing skills to accompany a good lyric sung well.

I've always perceived strumming as the gateway to guitar musicianship. Ultimately, the veteran player will mix all playing styles, to taste, in everything he or she plays. It isn't a matter of this or that aspect of playing, with regard to some personal measure or preference, but more towards availing one's skills set to meet the demands of the music.

I want to say that the person who is satisfied to remain a strummer isn't serious about developing further as a musician. That's about the extent of it. Seriousness, though, isn't a function of fun and fun is the sole point in playing, AFAIC. I think we all cease to develop once we've reached a certain level of play that provides the fun we're seeking.
Old 09-02-2017, 07:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Ellis View Post
I'm much more interested in guitarists who sing as part of their act than in listening to singers who just happen to strum a guitar to accompany themselves - to me there's a big difference.
I'd rather hear great lyrics than great riffs. And I have no desire to watch anyone do covers for any amount of time.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 09-02-2017, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Ellis View Post
I never hear or care about the lyrics - only the melody and harmony lines and the possibility of turning it into an instrumental.
OP, you asked a direct and somehat shocking question. My response is that your point of view may not be rare here, but wow, you're missing out on so much! Ignoring/suppressing lyrics is like being willfully color-blind.

That said, I have my own special can't-make-myself-care thing... dance. Just "meh", y'know? So I get it.

Even so... here are some lyrics for ya. No worries if we are talking past each other, but please consider encouraging your Bernie as well as your Elton...

Last edited by semolinapilcher; 09-02-2017 at 10:50 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write