The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-11-2015, 01:19 PM

bass player I work with has a 360-12 that he's had for about 15 years now

While it sounds unreal but the string spacing at the nut drives me close to manic. he's let me take it home a few times, and while I love the sound I just can't get used to it.. ok for strumming, but I found it a bit hard for find space in the string pairs for detailed chord work.

he claims he has the same problem with it so it's not just me maybe?
Old 11-11-2015, 03:48 PM

From Reverb.com regarding Epstein, Vox and the Beatles:
The Beatles started playing AC-30s before they became famous. But they kept playing them as they hit it big, and as a result made the amp legendary. Here’s how:

Reg Clark, the manager of London’s Vox showroom, was visited by Beatles manager Brian Epstein in January 1963. As Elyea describes it, Epstein pulled up in a Rolls Royce and smooth-talked Clark into trading two new AC-30s for the band’s two beat-up ones, even up. Clark secretly agreed, even though Vox owner Tom Jennings nixed the idea.

As a thank you, Epstein promised Clark that when the Fabs became big, they would always play Vox amps through their career. And the rest, indeed, is tube-amp history. And for Clark, not a bad trade-in: “It was the biggest promotional score ever, for absolutely free,” Elyea says.
https://reverb.com/blog/Vox-AC-30-Primer
Old 11-11-2015, 03:53 PM

I recently played a Rickenbacker, I think it was a 330, through a Twin Reverb at Guitar Center and the experience left me wondering why Rickenbackers aren’t more popular. It appeared very well made (better than the some of the Gibsons hanging next to it) and I liked the tone and loved the neck.
Old 11-11-2015, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
I recently played a Rickenbacker, I think it was a 330, through a Twin Reverb at Guitar Center and the experience left me wondering why Rickenbackers aren’t more popular. It appeared very well made (better than the some of the Gibsons hanging next to it) and I liked the tone and loved the neck.
I really just don't feel that they are all that versatile. I love the guitars but they kind of do one or two things well and that's it.
Old 11-11-2015, 05:05 PM

I haven't played a Rickenbacker since I was a teen decades ago. That said, I think the 660/620 models are the coolest looking guitars around. I would probably prefer the 660 with the vintage style pickups.
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 11-12-2015, 06:56 AM

Default Brian Epstein's Involvement

Steve DeRosa said, "..........one of two produced for Brian Epstein.........."

I want to tap into that for just a moment. I can imagine Brian Epstein being asked by "the boys" to make arrangements for the building of guitars to their own liking and specifications. Is that what we are saying here? What do we know about that end of things?

What can be learned about the specifications or requirements that were typical of "the boys" in those days? What were they looking for in sound, electronics, etc.??

I find it interesting that although Brian was the "Manager" to whom they might relegate various tasks, that they (the "boys") wouldn't go themselves (or bring in) to guitar manufacturers, to talk to them directly about their ideas for design and performance. That they entrusted Brian with that, seems like a stretch.

-Soupy
I have bought and sold more guitars in my day, than frogs eat flies; Yamaha, Taylor, Washburn, Gibson, Martin, Ovation, Epiphone....you name it! One thing I've learned over the years however...........I ain't gonna be worth JACK, if I don't PRACTICE!!
Old 11-12-2015, 07:51 AM

I have a Ric 330-6. I love the neck on it and the sound. I disagree that they are not versatile. If you want different sound, the tone controls on the guitar are very flexible and of course you have pedals!

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 11-12-2015, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupy1957 View Post
Steve DeRosa said, "..........one of two produced for Brian Epstein.........."

I want to tap into that for just a moment. I can imagine Brian Epstein being asked by "the boys" to make arrangements for the building of guitars to their own liking and specifications. Is that what we are saying here? What do we know about that end of things?

What can be learned about the specifications or requirements that were typical of "the boys" in those days? What were they looking for in sound, electronics, etc.??

I find it interesting that although Brian was the "Manager" to whom they might relegate various tasks, that they (the "boys") wouldn't go themselves (or bring in) to guitar manufacturers, to talk to them directly about their ideas for design and performance. That they entrusted Brian with that, seems like a stretch.

-Soupy
One of the sources to which I referred was The Complete History of Rickenbacker Guitars by Richard R. Smith - and if you're a Rick fan it's a volume you shouldn't be without. On pp. 68-84 of the first edition Mr. Smith answers nearly all of your questions, and in far greater detail/depth than would be permitted here; one thing that is made clear, though, is that Gerry Marsden's guitar was produced/delivered - along with John's "Ticket to Ride" 325/12 - very specifically "as a favor to Brian Epstein" ...

Hope that clears matters up a bit...
Old 11-12-2015, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

Yes I do. My 360 Mapleglow is on the lower inside of the right wall. -- Darwin

Old 11-12-2015, 06:50 PM

I've had Ric 6 and 12 strings, basses, and a cool 1940s Panda Bear Lap Steel. Loved every one of them. Don't play electric anymore, but Ric's are cool.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:04 PM
Charter Member

I'm fortunate enough to own two. The first, my 2001 650D, is my favourite electric guitar ever. 1.75" nut width, all the room you'd ever want, and fabulous HB1 pickups. This guitar has no limits - far from a one-trick pony.

The second is my 2011 330/12. My second favourite. Yes, the neck is narrow, and a bit of a handful, but that's part of the charm. When it sounds this good, you figure out how to work with it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00329 (2).jpg (32.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05853 (4).jpg (47.5 KB, 14 views)
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo

Last edited by David Eastwood; 01-29-2018 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Updating images
Old 11-13-2015, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
Yes I do. My 360 Mapleglow is on the lower inside of the right wall. -- Darwin

you clearly need more teles!!!

Old 11-13-2015, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

There are several more! --Darwin
Old 11-13-2015, 12:03 PM

ha!..

I love me a good tele,,

I only have one, but she's a good one..
Old 11-13-2015, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

RMP wrote

I love me a good tele,,

I only have one, but she's a good one..

The thing about Tele type guitars is that

All are awesome
Some are more awesome
And a few are totally awesome.

I have a several Strat types and I love them all. -- Darwin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars