The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-04-2013, 01:53 PM

Default Barre None

I haven't been able to make a perfect barre with the I finger for months on a less then 2" nut.

I've been able to make a full barre on a classical guitar, and it seems that my finger joints have become wedded to a 2" nut.

Is anyone aware of an "aid" to be placed over the index finger that would help 'even out' the two joints with the two pads on the finger to provide a straighter plane to lay across all the strings??

Wherever those two joints meet up with a string, they can't flatten enough to eliminate the buzz that ruins the barre. My fingers are very well developed from manual labor and the little muscles that constitute the 'pads' are like little biceps.

Any help, as always greatly appreciated.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackknifegypsy View Post
...Is anyone aware of an "aid" to be placed over the index finger that would help 'even out' the two joints with the two pads on the finger to provide a straighter plane to lay across all the strings??
JHi Jack...

I just adjust the amount of fingertip sticking out past the 6th string to keep the the joint(s) from falling directly on a string. No need for any 'aid'.

I also angle my finger across the fret, and not directly perpendicular.

Here's a video I did for friends and students...

Where's the pressure - CLIck

Hope it helps...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-04-2013, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackknifegypsy View Post
I haven't been able to make a perfect barre with the I finger for months on a less then 2" nut.
I've been able to make a full barre on a classical guitar, and it seems that my finger joints have become wedded to a 2" nut.
It is doubtful the 2" width spoiled your index finger for a narrower nut. Steel strings just require more fretting pressure due the higher string tension.

Extend the tip of the index finger beyond the fretboard to where barring all the strings is easiest. Roll the finger back some towards the thumb to get away from the finger joint creases. On some types of barres you can double up you second finger over the index finger

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 06-04-2013, 04:12 PM

Put the other fingers first of the chord and then the barre finger and press only the strings that are not covered by the 2,3 and 4 fingers
You have to practice it but it works and you have a more relaxed left hand.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
It is doubtful the 2" width spoiled your index finger for a narrower nut. Steel strings just require more fretting pressure due the higher string tension.
Hi rick...

Sometimes.

The other difference is the radiused neck with the expanding fingerboard width which expands twice as far (nut to saddle width) as the classical counterpart.

All these contribute to a possible different technique for each instrument.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-04-2013, 09:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi rick...

Sometimes.

The other difference is the radiused neck with the expanding fingerboard width which expands twice as far (nut to saddle width) as the classical counterpart.

All these contribute to a possible different technique for each instrument.

Most all classical guitars have flat fretboards. For decades I played a 1960s Ramirez 1a with a 2.1" width at the nut. Ramirez guitars (at least from that time period) have a fairly stiff action. That and the flat fretboard made it harder to barre way up the neck than some of my steel string guitars. I assume the OP was talking about barres played on the lower frets.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write