The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-29-2013, 06:08 AM

Default Are there benefits to placing your thumb on the back of the neck?

Recently I have been thinking about getting into the habit of placing my thumb on the back of the neck. I already do for bar chords but for most open chords I don't

I have read several times in the past, that this is a good way to play

I decided to do a search to see what professionals do with their thumb, and after viewing some live youtube videos of eric clapton, chris rea, dave matthews and SRV I found that they all place their thumb over the neck!

So where did this theory come from that placing your thumb on the back of the neck is a good way to play?

I also watched some classical guitarists such as ana vidovic and noticed that they all place the thumb on the back.

What do you guys think?
Old 05-29-2013, 06:13 AM

I only throw my thumb over the neck if I'm playing something like like D/F# chord. But certainly people play quite well with and without their thumb there.

I again refer you to my "technique is in the eyes of the beholder" photo:

Learn both ways. Versatility never shortened a musician's career.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:20 AM
billybillly

If you are bending strings, like a blues player, it's way easier to use your thumb for leverage. I think most players use their thumb but do whatever floats your boat, nothing is wrong or right.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:22 AM

Not sure you can compare classical guitarist with any other. The classical guitarist will use a well defined set of techniques and they will ultimately all play using them. It is bad form not too.

The rock/pop guitarist can however do whatever they want.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:22 AM

Everybody plays differently, and I myself tend to have the thumb stick out a lot as I use it a lot! There are some benefits such as it makes it easier to get the bass notes every now and then but it all comes down to preference.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:24 AM

If it works for you, it's ok.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:24 AM

thanks all
Old 05-29-2013, 06:37 AM

try playing these D and G chords with your thumb over the neck:

e---2--
b---3--
g---2--
d---4--
a---5--
e------

e---7------7--
b---0------8--
g---0------7--
d----------5--
a------------
e---3--------

i suppose i should add that there are also chords only playable with the thumb over the neck.

Last edited by mc1; 05-29-2013 at 07:00 AM.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:52 AM

I couldn't play without my thumb over the neck. May as well make use of all five digits. Classical players have their own set of rules.

There was a blind player named Jeff Healy who had passed away a few years back. He instructors insisted he hold the guitar the conventional way but he went against the grain and played it on his lap instead. Between his pinky and thumb, he had enormous reach on the fret board.

So, what ever works for you is the way to do it.
Alvarez AF60SHB
Seagull Concert Hall Mahogany
Harmony H1215. 1953
An 80 year old Kay (approx)
Epiphone ES-339
Epiphone Les Paul 50's Standard
3 home built Strat's
Old 05-29-2013, 07:07 AM

My thumb moves around depending on what I am playing and where I'm going next, sometimes it's in the middle of the back of the neck and sometimes it's over.

https://soundcloud.com/willie-johnson-jr
Old 05-29-2013, 07:17 AM

I think one of the benefits is that you can put more downward pressure on the strings and bend your hand further towards the lower string.
For me at 60+ years this allows me to still play barre chords on .12's, something I wasn't used to as an electric player. Without the technique I allways had trouble with the G string. As written before I can bend strings further because I can apply more force.
Additionally it's easier on the wrist but I switch to a side grip when using my thumb. I also experience less chance of handfriction against the neck when changing positions which allows for faster movement.
It's all about having a certain amount of relaxation in your hand which allows you to play faster and longer, having to play forcefully or cramped will not benefit your play, so pay attention to what feels more relaxed to you.

Ludwig
Old 05-29-2013, 08:49 AM

I studied a little classical guitar. In that discipline, you must keep your thumb centered on the back below your middle finger approximately. With a classical guitar, tone is everything acoustically and with the wide neck, playing this way is a must.
Another consideration is the size of your hands. If you are playing 3-4 fret bar cords, keeping your thumb under the neck is about the only way you can reach them unless you have really long fingers. Playing finger style is also where the thumb under the neck becomes important.

I am not a great player and a high intermediate would describe me best. While not being a Clapton, or Gary Clark etc. I have learned however that what works for one musician isn't correct for another. Taking classical lessons really improved my blues a ton which I attribute partially to learning how and where my hands need to me and how to use my fingers and place my hands.

I am sure that others may disagree but this is what works for me.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:56 AM

Depends. If I need to mute the low E string, I need my thumb near the side. If i'm playing a B7 chord, I have to have my thumb on the back. So I guess my answer is, it depends.
Taylor GS Mini
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Fender Strat Pro
Fender Telecaster 52 Reissue
Old 05-29-2013, 09:15 AM

II honestly have no idea I never pay attention to what I'm doing with my thumb
Old 05-29-2013, 09:17 AM

I'm self-taught and I've always wrapped my thumb around to play a lot of the bass notes. At one point I went to get assessed by a classical guitar instructor - I was a guitar teacher for many years (not classical, but rather blues, folk, country, celtic, etc.) and for a particular job needed to know what my level was in the conservatory system. The instructor was appalled at my "complete lack of technique" and tried to get me to hold the guitar differently and drastically adjust my hand positions. He also told me that I should stop playing the 12-string and other stringed instruments immediately because it was all "ruining" my ability to play. (No, I did not follow any of this advice!) I firmly believe that music is something to enjoy, and there's nothing wrong with how I play. And if it floats your boat to learn a new way to play, I say go for it!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write