The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-25-2009, 03:04 AM

Default Changing strings

I have a 'Steel Strung' Tanglewood Sundance. I would like to change to nylon strings for that mellow sound. Anyone any thoughts on pitfalls etc...

Olde-newbe
Old 09-25-2009, 04:32 AM

I wouldn't recommend it. Nylon E & B strings are thicker than the steel string sets, so the nut slots will have to be widened and you will probably have to raise the saddle to prevent buzz and rattles. Also, your guitar was built for the tension of steel strings and will be significantly under-powered with nylon resulting in reduced tone and volume.

Have you tried Black Diamond Black-Coated strings? They are about the mellowest sounding steel strings available...very similar sounding to nylon, IMHO. If that doesn't do it for you, look for a good used nylon-string classical guitar!

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 09-25-2009, 07:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdbrwn View Post
I have a 'Steel Strung' Tanglewood Sundance. I would like to change to nylon strings for that mellow sound. Anyone any thoughts on pitfalls etc...
Hi dvdbrwn...
Hello and welcome to the forum. We love old newbies around here!

I'd recommend just finding a student or basic model classical guitar built for nylon strings in the first place. It will sound better than modifying your acoustic steel string, and then you'll have choices for tone.

If you've not played a classical, I'd recommend going to a music store where you can play both steel string and classical side-by-side to see what the differences are. It cuts the sustain, and volume of the instrument quite a bit (which some people obviously like).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-25-2009, 08:42 AM

Nylon strings on a steel-string guitar tend to sound like rubber bands. I know first hand as my brother-in-law tried it. An inexpensive nylon-string guitar will sound much better.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:49 AM

Default Strings - Steel to Nylon

Thank you all very much. I'm taking your advice Bob1131. I'll try Black Diamond Black-coated strings. Yes, I have a Classical guitar & do battle with it when I can.
Cheers!
Old 09-25-2009, 11:59 AM

Another alternative would be silk and steel strings. On D'Addario's bright to mellow scale, they are the mellowest.

http://store.daddario.com/category/1...26amp%3B_Steel
Old 09-26-2009, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
Another alternative would be silk and steel strings. On D'Addario's bright to mellow scale, they are the mellowest.

http://store.daddario.com/category/1...26amp%3B_Steel
I agree Herb, but silk & steel only mellows out the wound strings. The Black-Coated strings are all coated, even the E & B, which greatly reduces the trebles. I had them on my GA4 for about a month and really enjoyed the very different and unique sound and feel...closer to a classical/nylon sound than any other string I have tried. Although I will not use them as my basic setup, I now keep a set in the drawer for those occasions when I want a more mellow sound in a recording.

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 09-28-2009, 01:35 PM

Default Changing Stings

Herb:
Someone mentioned Silk/Steel strings to me a while bank, so I got a set.
They're Martin 'Folk' Strings but I didn't notice a huge diffence.
I'm still trying to locate Black Diamond, Bob, but they don't seem to be available in the UK.
The Shipping cost from the US to here is hilarious!

Cheers, all.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write