The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-07-2018, 04:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringjunky2 View Post
That's your taste. Beauty is in the eye.
Beauty, sure.

Technique, that's quantifiable (e.g. size of gaps between inlay material and receiving material) and I haven't seen anyone do it better than Jimmi.

That's not to say other artists aren't good. Many mentioned here are top shelf.

Last edited by TomB'sox; 01-07-2018 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Rule number 1
Old 01-07-2018, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogthefrog View Post
Beauty, sure.

Technique, that's quantifiable (e.g. size of gaps between inlay material and receiving material) and I haven't seen anyone do it better than Jimmi.

That's not to say other artists aren't good. Many mentioned here are top shelf.
Then why say one is "superior" to others? It's all down to what effect they want to achieve. If they were all the same, frankly, it would all get boring very quickly. Vive la difference. It is better for you to say that Jimmi has an aesthetic that you prefer.

Last edited by TomB'sox; 01-07-2018 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Rule number 1
Old 01-07-2018, 05:43 PM

Come on guys, it is a simple thread looking for inlay artists, no need to start anything here.

Moderator B'sox
Old 01-07-2018, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
These folks were at Woodstock. Really nice work ... very reasonable.

http://www.aulsoninlay.com
Yes, I remember this booth, a husband and wife team if I remember...impressive stuff for sure.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:33 PM

Thanks for the great photos and links!
I’m (also) looking for examples of inlay with gemstones incorporated (such as a small ruby or sapphire in the center of a flower for a peghead).
I can’t seem to find anything like this. Is there some reason this wouldn’t be doable? Thanks, : )
Martin SPD-16R (2000)
Wechter Traditional Custom (2003)
Yamaha LL16 (2000)
Yamaha FG 460 S-12 (1986)

www.youtube.com/mmcs1222
Old 01-08-2018, 01:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcs1202 View Post
I’m (also) looking for examples of inlay with gemstones incorporated (such as a small ruby or sapphire in the center of a flower for a peghead).
I can’t seem to find anything like this. Is there some reason this wouldn’t be doable? Thanks, : )
Interesting concept. I can't see any reason why not, particularly in the peghead where a raised profile won't have any impact on playing.

I'm pretty sure Bill Tippin put opals or other precious stones into a few of his guitars...maybe worth a search, or check his website?

Col
Old 01-14-2018, 02:37 PM

The artistry that goes into the design is open for comparative criticism, but, as noted, that's a matter of taste. I have my favorites.

Decades ago the well known "Duke of Pearl" (Chuck Erikson https://www.facebook.com/chuck.erikson.3) was inlaying at the very top level of the craft. I got to stare at lots of his work, while holding a magnifying glass. From a craftsmanship point of view, only machines could do as well or (maybe) better, and they were not available for this type of work until later. We were doing this work with dental burrs and cutters.

Much of the extremely fine, close, detailed inlay work we see today is not due to an increase in skill or craftsmanship, it's an improvement in CNC and other programmed/automated machining and cutting techniques.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:56 PM

There are still many inlay artists that do all the work by hand. Larry Robinson, Grit Laskin, Craig Lavin, Jimmi WIngert, Mark Kett to name very few... At the same time there are many shops that do automated cutting.

The rise of complexity of the CNC stuff came with better techniques and machinery. There was a time when ebony was not considered laserable; now it's done frequently, and avoids the telltale radiused corners associated with router or mill cut material.

I don't think there's anything objectionable about machine cut inlay; it allows folks without the means to obtain a hand-cut work an option. The inlay on a CNC is only as good as the computer artist, machinist, and installer.
Old 01-18-2018, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcs1202 View Post
The only trick to adding gemstones is that they need to be added after the finish is applied so either the builder will need to add the gemstone or the guitar part would need to be shipped back to the inlay artist. There is also no really good way to make sure it's secure since glue really doesn't stock all that well to something like a ruby so you have to take care not to snag a polishing cloth on it. I've done a few with diamonds and last time I checked they were still in there! Don't think I have any picture on my site though...

Harv
Old 01-18-2018, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H165 View Post
The artistry that goes into the design is open for comparative criticism, but, as noted, that's a matter of taste. I have my favorites.

Decades ago the well known "Duke of Pearl" (Chuck Erikson https://www.facebook.com/chuck.erikson.3) was inlaying at the very top level of the craft. I got to stare at lots of his work, while holding a magnifying glass. From a craftsmanship point of view, only machines could do as well or (maybe) better, and they were not available for this type of work until later. We were doing this work with dental burrs and cutters.

Much of the extremely fine, close, detailed inlay work we see today is not due to an increase in skill or craftsmanship, it's an improvement in CNC and other programmed/automated machining and cutting techniques.
CNC has made a huge difference in cost and availability of very detailed inlay work but the very finest inlay work being done is largely hand cut. While you "could" cut just about anything with CNC that you can cut by hand the cost of programming it would be cost prohibitive unless you wanted to do multiple copies. Besides, about the smallest cutter you can use on a CNC is .010 and the smallest jeweler's saw blade is half that. Of course you are correct in that most of the detailed work you SEE is CNC cut.
A perfect example is the Martin 1 Mil and the D100, it took Larry a year to create the 1 M inlays and it took Pearlworks 2 years to program the D100!

As for the Duke, I'm fortunate to live just over the hill from him and he is largely responsible for me reaching the level of craftsmanship I have!

Harv

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop