The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-08-2013, 05:30 PM

Default if you don't play in a band,

if you don't play in a band,
then get yourself a metronome.

playing in time is the single most important thing,

not to sound preachy, it took me years to figure this out, and i am still working on it.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:14 PM

I have heard this so many times that I went out and bought myself a real nice one. I rarely use it. Seems like I read advice on using it, but not on the when and how of using a metronome.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwolf View Post
I have heard this so many times that I went out and bought myself a real nice one. I rarely use it. Seems like I read advice on using it, but not on the when and how of using a metronome.
http://vivretteguitaracademy.com/gui...ronome-part-1/

This may be helpful. I don't practice without one, its become a habit.

2015 Epi B.B. King Lucille
Life is Good!
Old 06-10-2013, 02:19 AM

Default I use

I use a simple Zoom MRT3 Drummer when out ( entire system runs on rechargable batts ) and the drummer is connected to a fader to fade out so it doesnt abruptly just QUIT at a song ending . It is VERY Realistic sounding and helps very much keep in time , once you find the correct " Style " ( over 400 ) SAVE IT TO 100 USER POSITIONS ) and tempo the song goes along with ... dont have to pay him , find him , listen to his opinions, ..and he's always there ....Foot pedal to start him up and ready to go , sounds more Realistic than a metronome ,as if a real 2 or 3 piece band would . Simple loop ...no programming required ...The lil box is extremely under rated ...I Do use a Separate amp only for the Drummer , to keep the channels sounding Clean .
Old 06-10-2013, 03:35 AM

Using a metronome is one way of keeping in time. Another is playing along with a drum machine, and another is to program a backing track into a computer program and play along with that.

The simplest way is to play along with recordings or radio/ TV music. Most modern recorded music is played to a click track and keeps very good time. Most options are more enjoyable than the rather boring, and sometimes difficult to hear, metronome.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:08 AM

I play in a band and picked up a Zoom RhythmTrak 123 from eBay. For me, I always prefer a live drummer for performances but, for practice and simple home recording projects, this little machine invaluable. I've got a regular metronome but, I personally find it too boring and sterile to motivate me to use it. This machine does the trick!

I only recently figured out how to create and save my own patterns and then use them to "compose" and save a complete song. Now, I can practice the songs I'm learning with a drummer/metronome and start to build a library of drum tracks for my solo stuff at the same time for my recording projects.

The best of both worlds!
Epiphone IBG J45
Yamaha FS800
Guild Pilot Bass
Guild Flamed Maple Jumbo Junior
Guild Flamed Maple Jumbo Junior Bass
Recording King Dirty 30's Mando
Frankensquier P Bass
Squier Bullet Telecaster
Old 06-10-2013, 05:49 AM

I don't always use one but the advice is certainly good. So are the recommendations for other sources of steady grooves. Beginners take heed!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write