The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 11-12-2015, 11:10 PM
Charter Member

Default Guitalele GAS

OK, I've been considering a travel guitar (ala another GS Mini) and sort of gassed for a nylon string guitar a bit, then played with the idea of a ukulele.

I recently learned of the Yamaha GL-1 guitalele - a nice six string guitar-interval tenor-sized uke, ....or....an ukulele-sized six string nylon guitar.

then.....I saw that I missed the MF SDOTD which was $30 off the low $99 price. Arg.

then....I stumbled across the Peavey competitor to this - it has a more modern style, offset soundhole, soundport, peghead for the same price.

Here are pics of my current GAS attacks

There are some false marketing images of the Peavey offering that show bridge pins and steel strings. I think this was an early design idea or a marketing mock-up. The real offering is a nylon string.

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 11-12-2015, 11:53 PM

Very cool, and at a nice price! It reminds me of the Tacoma Papoose, which was a high-tuned (A-A) 12-string of about the same size with a similar offset soundhole. I'm curious now to see and play one myself. If you buy it, let us know.
Old 11-13-2015, 05:10 AM

You need to consider the Cordoba Mini that just came out in January. It's got great tone and sustain. Baritone size body. Intonation is spot on. A fun little nylon string guitar. Check out the reviews. Comes with A to A strings or you can get E to E for standard guitar tuning. That's what I did. I love this little guy.
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Old 11-13-2015, 07:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmusic View Post
Very cool, and at a nice price! It reminds me of the Tacoma Papoose, which was a high-tuned (A-A) 12-string of about the same size with a similar offset soundhole. I'm curious now to see and play one myself. If you buy it, let us know.
I Googled that - there is a six string version of that which seems very cool - all solid mahogany body, solid cedar top. Seems so cool.

Old 11-22-2015, 04:04 PM

I just had Kanile'a build a custom GL6 for me. It sounds great and is very beautiful with master grade curly koa, an ebony fingerboard and binding and an albalone rosette bound in ebony.
It is fun to play. I can't put it down.
Barb
Old 11-22-2015, 04:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb1 View Post
I just had Kanile'a build a custom GL6 for me. It sounds great and is very beautiful with master grade curly koa, an ebony fingerboard and binding and an albalone rosette bound in ebony.
It is fun to play. I can't put it down.
Barb
I also have one of these. My personal experience is that the really inexpensive Guiteles leave much to be desired. Unfortunately, with these instruments, you pretty much get what you pay for.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 11-22-2015, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
I also have one of these. My personal experience is that the really inexpensive Guiteles leave much to be desired. Unfortunately, with these instruments, you pretty much get what you pay for.

Tony
That might be enough to stave off my GAS

Old 11-28-2015, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
I Googled that - there is a six string version of that which seems very cool - all solid mahogany body, solid cedar top. Seems so cool.
Check out the Gretsch Roots series. I had one. Didnt use it that much and flilped it. I wish I'd of kept it. Comes with electronics and a gig bag <$300. Sounds great, llays easy, stays in tune.
Old 11-28-2015, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post

Tony
I agree. I have both the Yamaha and the Cordoba guitalele (with cutout and electronics). They're fun little instruments, but the intonation is all over the place and there are issues with sustain. I want to have a nice one built from a builder that is worthy of gigging. I'll gig the Cordoba in the meantime, but it can be frustrating at times. Cordoba does build nice guitars (I have an FCWE Reissue and have had several more high end Cordobas). I wish they built a higher end guitalele.
Old 11-28-2015, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Label View Post
Cordoba does build nice guitars (I have an FCWE Reissue and have had several more high end Cordobas). I wish they built a higher end guitalele.
Are you talking about the Cordoba Mini that came out in Jan.? Mine has great intonation and volume. Or are you talking about their old guilele?

Old 11-28-2015, 09:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frets4fun View Post
Are you talking about the Cordoba Mini that came out in Jan.? Mine has great intonation and volume. Or are you talking about their old guilele?
The old one. Didn't realize that the Mini had replaced it. Thought they were two different instruments.
Old 11-29-2015, 04:27 AM

Yeah, the Mini is brand new this year. Check out the reviews online. It's not a guilele, but rather a nice small nylon string guitar with the body size of a baritone uke. I'd rather have spent $299 on it than $1,000+ for my uses. It makes a great instrument for uke jams and travel. I have played fingerstyle bluegrass songs on it and it sounds cool. Intonation, sound, playability, build are all great. No, it's no Martin, Taylor, or Gibson, but it's no toy or slouch either.

Last edited by ifret; 11-29-2015 at 07:25 AM.
Old 11-29-2015, 08:25 PM

just so happens my wife and I went to GC and played a six sting cordoba guitarlele. It was a solid top (ovankol? or something similar, can't remember quite). Any way it did sound nice. I guess I didn't pay attention if it was a baritone size or tenor uke size. Had a regular 2 inch fretboard but the neck was real thin which made it interesting to play in a good way. Anyway, it was a fun instrument, kind of stood out.
Old 11-30-2015, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icuker View Post
just so happens my wife and I went to GC and played a six sting cordoba guitarlele. It was a solid top (ovankol? or something similar, can't remember quite). Any way it did sound nice. I guess I didn't pay attention if it was a baritone size or tenor uke size. Had a regular 2 inch fretboard but the neck was real thin which made it interesting to play in a good way. Anyway, it was a fun instrument, kind of stood out.
It was probably a Mini a solid ovangkol top. Baritone uke size body.
http://www.cordobaguitars.com/guitars/mini

Old 12-01-2015, 01:26 AM
Charter Member

the solid top guileles i played at mccabe's a few years back definitely sounded better than the yamaha guitalele, but i went for the yamaha anyway. mine's intonated well and fun to play, and i tune it a little lower than recommended.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments