The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 08-25-2014, 01:55 PM

Default NGD: Loar 700

Got it second hand for a very good price. A few minor blemishes but sounds and plays great - still coming to terms with how to play it, though, after flattops and resonators!
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 08-25-2014, 02:04 PM

I'll be very interested to hear what your process is like, as this is the very guitar I'm interested in, and I too come from the flattop world.
2019 Taylor 522ce V-Class 12-Fret - All Mahogany
2021 Rainsong V-OM 1000-NSX - Spruce/Carbon Fiber
2008 Fender Stratocaster 70s Reissue (Natural)
Old 08-25-2014, 02:12 PM

Well, I'll tell ya...that guitar, modeled after the first iteration of the venerable L5, is actually pretty versatile.

I have a 600. I've definitely grown to prefer 80/20's on it....almost too bright for a day or two, but play through it for a few hours and it warms up nicely....I have my action set medium, so I can play softer stuff but still bang out some swing too.

If you got a nice thick pick--1.5mm or more, try it out on this one. Mine really sounds nice and woody with a Dunlop "jazz tone" pick.

Enjoy it. Cool instruments...really no competition in their price bracket.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 08-25-2014, 02:45 PM

Funny, I've drifted to 80/20s on my Eastman, too. It'd be interesting to A/B it with a Loar 600 or 700.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:16 PM

Gary-N-LA: I got this as I love to play Jazz-ish stuff and I also think they sound great for that cross-picking alt-folk flat picking style (as I like to think of it - perhaps Dave Rawlings when he's not soloing). So far so good, works a dream for both styles, with a pick. I also like to play fingerpicking, piedmont blues style - and so far, at least (I've only had it a few days) - this doesn't work so well, my left and right hands just don't seem to sit right. I don't see this as an issue as I wasn't expecting it to cover everything and I still have my other guitars. It actually sounds pretty nice with a slide, too.

mr. beaumont/T. Sphere: Interesting on the 80/20s - it came with PB polywebs which I took off straight away - for me like playing with soap on the strings - and put on regular PBs. I love 80/20s on my flattop so have a few spare sets: I'll give them a go next.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Maton 425 12-string
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 08-26-2014, 05:17 AM

Default flat-top to arch top

I too made this switch last year. Or should I say since last year. I purchased a Eastman 810, non cut, non electric...very Mother Maybelle type of guitar. Similar to to the Loar you have here. I have it strung up with 80/20 stings, .013-.056. It took me several months to feel comfortable with it but now that I'm getting on with her I use it all the time. I play an acoustic duo with a friend on mandolin and use the arch top with great success. I sing old standards, Beatles, folk, country and we throw in fiddle tunes too and the guitar works really well on all counts. Good luck with it and welcome to the arch top world.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdq View Post
Gary-N-LA: I got this as I love to play Jazz-ish stuff and I also think they sound great for that cross-picking alt-folk flat picking style (as I like to think of it - perhaps Dave Rawlings when he's not soloing). So far so good, works a dream for both styles, with a pick. I also like to play fingerpicking, piedmont blues style - and so far, at least (I've only had it a few days) - this doesn't work so well, my left and right hands just don't seem to sit right. I don't see this as an issue as I wasn't expecting it to cover everything and I still have my other guitars. It actually sounds pretty nice with a slide, too.

mr. beaumont/T. Sphere: Interesting on the 80/20s - it came with PB polywebs which I took off straight away - for me like playing with soap on the strings - and put on regular PBs. I love 80/20s on my flattop so have a few spare sets: I'll give them a go next.
Hi TDQ - Sorry to hear that about the fingerpicking cuz that's all I play. I want a guitar for American Songbook standards played fingerstyle on a solo guitar. For instance, I'm learning Jerome Kern's "The Way You Look Tonight" now - I'm almost "off book" on that one, using a very warm sounding Taylor 12-fret with a sinker redwood top. But I'm intrigued to play this on a guitar designed for jazz. Perhaps a guitar like this won't really work, as I don't use flat picks.
2019 Taylor 522ce V-Class 12-Fret - All Mahogany
2021 Rainsong V-OM 1000-NSX - Spruce/Carbon Fiber
2008 Fender Stratocaster 70s Reissue (Natural)
Old 08-26-2014, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary-N-LA View Post
Hi TDQ - Sorry to hear that about the fingerpicking cuz that's all I play. I want a guitar for American Songbook standards played fingerstyle on a solo guitar. For instance, I'm learning Jerome Kern's "The Way You Look Tonight" now - I'm almost "off book" on that one, using a very warm sounding Taylor 12-fret with a sinker redwood top. But I'm intrigued to play this on a guitar designed for jazz. Perhaps a guitar like this won't really work, as I don't use flat picks.
Hey Gary - it actually sounds pretty good finger picking - the notes are very clear and clean. It's not the sound, it's my technique. Even though it has a 1 3/4 nut, the string spacing is quite tight for me. I haven't got out a ruler but I suspect it might actually be a little more narrow. Also, on my flattop I rest my palm heel on the bridge which doesn't work as well on the archtop. Don't write it off for fingerpicking, just be aware that there will be some adjustment.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Maton 425 12-string
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 08-26-2014, 11:08 AM

Are the Loar 700 series all carved,top back??maple?
Old 08-26-2014, 11:32 AM

I bought one of these in early July as a camp guitar. I really like the guitar but I did have some issues with mine.

I got mine from MF, untested, and judging from the packaging, it was shipped straight from the factory in China.

First off, the sound is great, no qualifications. It sounds fantastic for strumming, fingerpicking, or four-to-the-bar style rhythm. It's not as strong for chord solo stuff but that's more a function of the ergonomics (chunky neck, no cutaway) than of the tone.

No surprise though, the setup from the factory was awful. The strings were ancient, and the action was high and barely playable. The high action was due to a poorly designed bridge. The bridge is the only part of the guitar that is not true to it's 20's L-5 influence: it has a thick base, with all rounded corners and edges vs. the L-5's delicate and squared off design. As delivered, the bridge had zero adjustment left to lower the action, and it needed to be lowered. This seemed like a totally unnecessary way to cut corners (!) as it would have been no extra work to do it right. Anyway, after a trip to Gryphon Stringed Instruments (lucky me) the bridge looks right, has some adjustment room, and the guitar's action is OK. I might actually take it back and get the bridge base shaved a little more.

In spite of these issues, which are just start-up, one time inconveniences, I really like the guitar as a long term player. It will find a place in my well stocked arsenal of more expensive guitars and will get used at jams, open mics, and for the music where it is best suited.

Circle 'Round the Sun
Old 08-26-2014, 12:03 PM

Yes, I do think there is more room to lower the action. Currently on mine it is as low as it can go, and I like mine a little higher than average. Fortunately it is an easy fix, I'll just shave a bit off the bridge on my next string change.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Maton 425 12-string
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 09-12-2014, 05:29 PM

Update: It was a little hard to play at first but thought it was just needing to get used to it. After a few days I decided to sand down the bottom of the saddle to get the action lower. Much better to play and really digging it now. Sounds fantastic - a great, dry tone which I'm loving. I played it in a jam session with a bunch of flattops and it really sat nicely in the mix, tone wise.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Maton 425 12-string
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 09-15-2014, 07:06 AM

Am I wooden?
Old 09-15-2014, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakman View Post
Are the Loar 700 series all carved,top back??maple?
Right, spruce top, maaple back and sides.

The 600 has a mahogany neck and not as pretty maaple.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops