The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-07-2023, 07:45 AM

Default My Martin D16GT neck broke years ago and was repaired, thinking of replacing the neck

Hi everyone!. My Martin D16GT neck broke near the headstock because someone accidentally dropped the guitar inside the case to the floor, this was years ago and then the guitar was repaired by a professional and great luthier. This was my first Martin and I have a special connection to her. I would like to have my guitar with a none broken neck and now I am thinking in buying another D16GT and take the neck of this guitar and put it in my guitar, I have a professional and very good luthier that can do this job. Can this be a good idea, is it easy to do?. Thanks!!!
Old 05-07-2023, 07:47 AM

If the neck repair is good, and the guitar sound good and plays well, I wouldn't do it. It'll change the weight/balance, could affect the resonant frequencies and cause wolf notes/dead spots...I wouldn't risk changing the guitar unless the neck was unfixable.
1987 Peavey Patriot bass
Old 05-07-2023, 08:08 AM

If it was repaired and works fine, in my estimation it would be a big waste of money to have a new neck put on. Plus, the broken neck and scars give your guitar a cool back story.
Old 05-07-2023, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

Wait a minute. I thought Gibsons were the only brand with broken necks. At least so says the internet….

+
Old 05-07-2023, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aahzz View Post
If the neck repair is good, and the guitar sound good and plays well, I wouldn't do it. It'll change the weight/balance, could affect the resonant frequencies and cause wolf notes/dead spots...I wouldn't risk changing the guitar unless the neck was unfixable.
Thanks for your insight!. Why does replacing the neck can cause dead spots and wolf notes?
Old 05-07-2023, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

I had Martin replace a perfectly fine neck with a new one with specs that I prefer.
The guitar plays as lovely as ever. maybe sounds better if Im honest.
My new neck has more mass than the old one.

The 16 series guitars might be a M&T joint.
“Wolf notes” I can’t speak to because I don’t believe that they are a thing beyond a guitar top struggling to resonate every note in the spectrum free of nodes.
Sound waves have nodes, not every note will ring the same as the next.
Perhaps some physicists can explain how I am wrong about that.
Old 05-07-2023, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff_the_stiff View Post
I had Martin replace a perfectly fine neck with a new one with specs that I prefer.
The guitar plays as lovely as ever. maybe sounds better if Im honest.
My new neck has more mass than the old one.

The 16 series guitars might be a M&T joint.
“Wolf notes” I can’t speak to because I don’t believe that they are a thing beyond a guitar top struggling to resonate every note in the spectrum free of nodes.
Sound waves have nodes, not every note will ring the same as the next.
Perhaps some physicists can explain how I am wrong about that.

What guitar do you have?, does your guitar sound the same after the replacement?. What is a M&T joint?
Old 05-07-2023, 01:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rov View Post
What guitar do you have?, does your guitar sound the same after the replacement?. What is a M&T joint?
My guitar is a Re-Imagined J-40, that I further re-re-imagined having a more substantial neck profile and 1 13/16 nut and wide string spacing at the saddle.
Martin charged about 2k about a year ago for the neck replacement and bridge and saddle replacement. It is worth mentioning that I didn’t sell the J40 and simply replace it with a J41 special, or custom shop guitar because the sound is phenomenal and I want to keep it because it’s sweet and there is no guarantee a different one would sound as good to me, in fact I figured it’d be more likely that I would be disappointed parting with the J40 (I traded it, regretted it and bought it back). So was worth spending more to make it something I enjoy playing even more.

Most Martin guitars fit the neck using the dovetail joint. A lot of the 16 series Martins (but not all of them I think) have a Mortise and Tenon joint, which is a bit different, but I mentioned it because if you’re parts guitar has a dovetail and your guitar is a M&T joint that will be a problem.
Old 05-07-2023, 01:52 PM

Quote:
My guitar is a Re-Imagined J-40, that I further re-re-imagined having a more substantial neck profile and 1 13/16 nut and wide string spacing at the saddle.
Martin charged about 2k about a year ago for the neck replacement and bridge and saddle replacement. It is worth mentioning that I didn’t sell the J40 and simply replace it with a J41 special, or custom shop guitar because the sound is phenomenal and I want to keep it because it’s sweet and there is no guarantee a different one would sound as good to me, in fact I figured it’d be more likely that I would be disappointed parting with the J40 (I traded it, regretted it and bought it back). So was worth spending more to make it something I enjoy playing even more.

Most Martin guitars fit the neck using the dovetail joint. A lot of the 16 series Martins (but not all of them I think) have a Mortise and Tenon joint, which is a bit different, but I mentioned it because if you’re parts guitar has a dovetail and your guitar is a M&T joint that will be a problem.
Wow great story that the neck change worked for you. But if I buy another D16 it must have the same exact neck joint that mine has, right?
Old 05-07-2023, 02:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rov View Post
Wow great story that the neck change worked for you. But if I buy another D16 it must have the same exact neck joint that mine has, right?
I would call Martin to confirm which joint you have, and will need.
Old 05-07-2023, 02:47 PM

Quote:
I would call Martin to confirm which joint you have, and will need.
Thanks for the advice!
Old 05-07-2023, 05:07 PM

Call Martin and see if they will sell you a replacment neck instead of a whole nother guitar?

It could save you money and the labour of removing a neck.

Or just enjoy your repaired neck if it plays well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair