The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-29-2023, 08:37 PM

Default UV setting cement / nut slots

Has anyone had experience using one a uv-setting cement to adjust nut slots, and if so, do you recommend it, and which one?

Besides that, I'm not asking for much, but I'm shopping around for something tougher than ca + baking soda, and inexpensive.

Thanks!
Old 04-29-2023, 09:36 PM

Is replacing the nut not an option?
Old 04-30-2023, 05:21 AM
Charter Member

I've used Bondic mixed with bone dust, applied in thin layers and cured. It isn't ideal because it is softer and stickier than bone, but it makes a decent and easy temporary repair that is on par with my experience with CA glue and bone dust but easier to do because you can clean up before you cure it. You need to enlarge and rough up the nut slot or it won't stick. I prefer to replace the nut but sometimes it isn't feasible at the moment, so these temporary repairs can come in handy.
Old 04-30-2023, 07:58 AM

The Stew Mac kit with powders is a tougher alternative. And there is a thread now active where Dave in Tejas and Bruce Sexauer discuss a technique of cutting a V slot and then inlaying a V shaped piece of bone.

Thread here

Nice simple solutions.

Rick
Old 04-30-2023, 08:24 AM

just purchase a new nut
file slots to new depth if required
play
end of issue
Old 04-30-2023, 02:27 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuch View Post
just purchase a new nut
file slots to new depth if required
play
end of issue
You make that sound so easy!
Old 04-30-2023, 04:00 PM

Bruce, There's been a trove of comments here, but none has addressed the question I posed.

I don't want to ignore folks' goodheartedly taking the tine to comment for someone else's benefit, but I'm still hoping for someone who's able to address my original question sees my question and responds.

Meanwhile, thanks, everybody!
Old 05-04-2023, 07:14 AM

I have heard of people using dental composite - the same stuff you'd get for a white filling at the dentist. Makes sense that it would bond to a bone nut just fine. Unless you have the stuff on hand, the etching acid to make it bond properly, and the curing light as well, seems like a lot of effort to go through to save a bone nut on an everyday production guitar. I only ever work on my own guitars so I'd rather take the time to just make a new nut.

I could totally see the dental composite method being a good solution on, say, a very valuable vintage and all original Martin that has a low nut slot. Otherwise seems like it would be a lot of effort to source the composite, acid, and high-powered UV light if you're already set up tool-wise to just make a new nut.
Old 05-04-2023, 09:50 AM

Composite works beautifully, but it requires a moderate investment in equipment to do properly. Plus, the material is intended to be very hard and it’s not so easy to file. I’ve used it and have to say my first choice would still be a nut repair kit, followed by the technique that Bruce describes.

And the set of “real” gauged nut files that I purchased last year continue to be invaluable - the right tool for the job.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair